Busted in rank to private

Place gaming and strategy issues for the original "Z" and the Expansion Kit "Z95" here.

Moderator: Brad

Lowmein
Psycho
Psycho

Busted in rank to private

Post by Lowmein » 2008-09-25, 06:16

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how scoring is determined in single player levels? Is it the time? Number of units lost or killed? Began playing again recently and I was riding high (all warlords) until the fifth level. I attacked the fort too soon with just robots and jeeps and got wiped out and then had to wait on light tanks to be built to blow it up. I still finished it in a little over 14 minutes but my score was a lowly private.
lil' T
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Busted in rank to private

Post by lil' T » 2008-09-25, 21:29

Very interesting question, let's find it out!

I do not know for certain, but I assume that the score does not play a role in ranking since I scored only 4963 on level 17 and still became a warlord. Of course, I might be wrong and somewhere around 4000 is the requirement for warlord so it would be nice if other players could post their scores for warlord rank.

Time might be the relevant factor. It seems that the time limit for warlord rank (if there is any) is different for each level. On higher levels, it's possible to get warlord in 21 minutes. Again, if someone was faster than me but did not get a warlord rank it would be good to know.

Here are my high scores: http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zed000yj5.png
Lowmein
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Lowmein » 2008-09-26, 08:19

From the 5 levels I've played so far I can tell you score is not an absolute although it might be weighted by levels: 5726 on Level 1 earns a warlord ranking; 5000 on level 5 is a private. In Civilization 2, you can "manipulate" your score by raising the luxury bar or increasing population. I haven't figured it out in Z. Not that it matters in Z. So ... maybe that's the point: Just win baby and pop another rocket fuel.
BallWin
Major
Major

Post by BallWin » 2008-09-26, 13:32

Lowmein wrote:Just out of curiosity does anyone know how scoring is determined in single player levels? Is it the time? Number of units lost or killed? Began playing again recently and I was riding high (all warlords) until the fifth level. I attacked the fort too soon with just robots and jeeps and got wiped out and then had to wait on light tanks to be built to blow it up. I still finished it in a little over 14 minutes but my score was a lowly private.
It is the large puzzle.
It seems to me that:
- The "WarLord" depends only on a time. The initial limit of time depends on complexity of levels.
- Scoring does not depend on a time. It or is calculated with mistakes, or randomly (or both). Anyway I have not found out dependence.
lil' T wrote:Here are my high scores: http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zed000yj5.png
Hmm... "Feldherr"="WarLord" in German?
How you managed to receive a rank WarLord for 2 minutes 53 seconds on a level16 (so in your table HighScores)??!
lil' T
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by lil' T » 2008-09-26, 17:41

BallWin wrote:
lil' T wrote:Here are my high scores: http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zed000yj5.png
Hmm... "Feldherr"="WarLord" in German?
How you managed to receive a rank WarLord for 2 minutes 53 seconds on a level16 (so in your table HighScores)??!
Yes, "Feldherr" is Warlord in German.

Winning levle 16 in such a short time is very possible. Remember that a straight road connects the two forts. So just move all your units up to the blue fort, hope that your heavy wins the dogfight vs the hostile heavy, avoid and kill the howitzers and you are as good as victorious.

Actually, I have finished this level before using a "regular" kill-em-all strategy but I didn't get a Warlord ranking. This was the only level I had to redo.
BallWin
Major
Major

Post by BallWin » 2008-09-29, 16:44

lil' T wrote: Winning levle 16 in such a short time is very possible. Remember that a straight road connects the two forts. So just move all your units up to the blue fort, hope that your heavy wins the dogfight vs the hostile heavy, avoid and kill the howitzers and you are as good as victorious.

Actually, I have finished this level before using a "regular" kill-em-all strategy but I didn't get a Warlord ranking. This was the only level I had to redo.
Cool...
New tactic for me. I did not try to attack a fort Level16 at once.
Tanel K
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tanel K » 2009-01-03, 01:28

BallWin wrote:
lil' T wrote: Winning levle 16 in such a short time is very possible. Remember that a straight road connects the two forts. So just move all your units up to the blue fort, hope that your heavy wins the dogfight vs the hostile heavy, avoid and kill the howitzers and you are as good as victorious.

Cool...
New tactic for me. I did not try to attack a fort Level16 at once.
I recall using this strategy on Light Brigade as well as the two maps with broken bridges in the middle and forsts closeby - Swamp Fever and Bridge Game. The enemy simply cant counter all your units in the middle and it's just a matter of luck and skill versus the fort guns.