Level 18 "cheat". Get the unmanned Heavy tank from the east

Place gaming and strategy issues for the original "Z" and the Expansion Kit "Z95" here.

Moderator: Brad

arZca
Sniper
Sniper
Are you a spam bot?: No

Level 18 "cheat". Get the unmanned Heavy tank from the east

Post by arZca » 2009-06-21, 10:48

Hi! I'm new here as you can probably see! :mrgreen:

I tried to look if anyone had posted something related to this, but I was unable to find anything. Right, I was playing Level 18 sometime ago, and I started wondering if I could get both unmanned Heavy Tanks (on both sides of the level). Usually the CPU gets the Heavy located on the eastern side of the map. I experimented this few times...

My English may not be the best on earth, but I'll try to explain this as best as I can:

At the start, these 3 initially destroyed bridges separate your fort and CPU's. Move a Medium Tank and a squad of Snipers next to the most eastern bridge of these three I'm talking about. Use your Medium to destroy some of the rocks (close to the water) blocking the access to the factories (unmanned Medium near there if I remember correctly). You might have to move your Medium with precision to get in range of the rocks so you can make a hole for your Snipers to move through. Once you can blow the rocks so you Snipers can move through, you should have no problem getting that unmanned Heavy Tank! :P It takes a lot of precision to destroy these rocks, so save your game before you try it, because it's not guaranteed that you can pull it off every time.

Once you get that Heavy Tank, try to destroy that small bridge on the eastern side to prevent CPU from moving it's hardware to the eastern side of the map. Oh, and once you get that Heavy from the west too, you should have no problem winning this one! :D

Has anyone ever actually tried this and succeeded? Or is it just me...?
If I'm not online, I'll be probably catching Z's...
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Re: Level 18 "cheat". Get the unmanned Heavy tank from the east

Post by Meeky » 2009-06-21, 13:35

You are probably mistaken - each heavy in the level initially belong to one of the sides. You can see it yourself - invoke "Load level" dialog by pressing F3 in "Z Expansion XP" main menu, type 18 and load it.
My way to pass the level was essentially the same recommended in official Game Guide:
Level 18 - City
Bridge Game
Overview:
The forts are relatively close together, connected by 3 (initially destroyed) bridges. To the left and right are large enclosed areas containing 5* factories and heavy unmanned hardware. Both forts are vulnerable from attack in all directions. Beware of the CPU sending robots across the river and vehicles across the bridges to attack your fort.

Start Units : 1 Psycho / 1 Tough / 1 Sniper / 1 Pyro / 1 Laser / 1 Heavy Tank / 1 Med. Tank / 1 Lt. Tank

Strategy:
Leave at least one artillery unit (e.g. Light tank) in front of your fort to keep the bridges destroyed until you want them repaired. Build other units which can keep the bridges destroyed as soon as possible (e.g. Toughs) so that you keep control.

Split your forces evenly and move round to capture the territories to the left and right of your fort (Points 1 & 2) capturing the territories behind your fort on the way.
Use the crane (bottom left) to repair the bridge in that territory (Point 3) and then bring it back to your fort for later.
Build powerful units and reinforce your forces either side until you can make an assault. A few guerrilla operations in the centre will draw some of his forces back to defend his fort.
WinZMod - mod for playing Z with high screen resolution
ZEdMod - ZEditor mod allowing to edit single player levels
ZGFX - Utility for extracting Z graphic
ZStats - Small utility for fine-tuning unit statistics
Z-Remake - XNA project on 2D IceCream Engine
arZca
Sniper
Sniper

Post by arZca » 2009-06-21, 14:20

Actually I have two different full versions of Z. The one on CD, and the other needs no cd at all. (Downloaded it like 8 years ago) The version that requires no cd is the one I've been playing recently on my old computer. It seems that this version has some differences, because I didn't have a Heavy Tank at the start at all! :shock: Currently my Z cd is at my dad's place (moved out from there like 10 months ago).

I think you're probably right. I'll get my Z cd from my dad's and try to check this out. However, I do not have Z expansion or Z95 at all. :( The last time I played the CD version was like last year or so. There were some differences between these versions. Level 11 was "Heavy Metal" (supposed to be level 12).

Anyway, I'm sorry for causing this confusion...
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Post by Meeky » 2009-06-21, 14:33

arZca wrote:However, I do not have Z expansion or Z95 at all. :( The last time I played the CD version was like last year or so.
Well, it can be readily fixed 8)
The Bros does not exist anymore, so you can download full Z Expansion version in the topic Z95 original CD game get it here.
It already has Antares patch so you could press F3 at the screen as shown in the screenshot and load 18 level. :)
WinZMod - mod for playing Z with high screen resolution
ZEdMod - ZEditor mod allowing to edit single player levels
ZGFX - Utility for extracting Z graphic
ZStats - Small utility for fine-tuning unit statistics
Z-Remake - XNA project on 2D IceCream Engine
arZca
Sniper
Sniper

Post by arZca » 2009-06-21, 15:06

Oh man, I never thought that there was something like this available! :mrgreen: I tried to look for them from these forums but there were nearly a million different topics about "How to get Z95 etc", so I wasn't exactly sure what to believe. :D

Thanks!
arZca
Sniper
Sniper

Post by arZca » 2009-06-26, 11:28

Sorry for posting two consecutive posts, but this will probably make some sense to you. This is the version I have along with CD-Rom version.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80 <- (Level 18 cheat works on THIS version!)
BallWin
Major
Major

Post by BallWin » 2009-06-26, 12:07

Transposition from here
arZca wrote: Now that we're talking about level 18, I've seen two different versions:

1. This version that most of us are familiar with (the official one)

2. The second version is different: either the player or the CPU has no Heavy Tank at the start, and there are two unmanned Heavys on both sides of the map. NOTE: I downloaded this version of Z from the internet nearly ten years ago, and it didn't have any movies, so it's a bit different from the CD version that I own.

I've beaten both versions, but the official version (your screenshot) was more harder. It's been nearly a year since I played the CD version. I'll try to get it back from my dad's place ASAP. :)
I am sorry, the link to an image of a large size was infringed...
I repeat...

"On an image an example of my usual tactics of initial red team at 18 level:
( full size can be loaded here - 500 kB)"

Rather various versions Z. I have 3 modifications (without consideration what I have produced independently) :)
Tactics acts for any variants of a level 18 (with small modifications).
In any case Z95 original.zip contains the initial version of a level 18 from CD (DOS).
arZca
Sniper
Sniper

Post by arZca » 2009-06-27, 11:56

Now that I saw your full sized screenshot, it all makes sense. I remember playing that version (your screenshot) from my Z-cd last year. My own initial strategy was quite like yours, but I never built any Howitzers. I'll give your strategy a shot when I get my Z-cd back within two weeks ;)