Did you know...

Place gaming and strategy issues for the original "Z" and the Expansion Kit "Z95" here.

Moderator: Brad

Meeky
Captain
Captain

Did you know...

Post by Meeky » 2009-06-27, 11:19

Let us share here little discoveries you've made, that can help others to get the most of the game.
Here are mine relating game control:
1. For fast navigation hold right button and move around the map
2. To undo group selection, select group and press DEL key
3. To restart game press Ctrl+R
4. To quit game press Ctrl+Q
WinZMod - mod for playing Z with high screen resolution
ZEdMod - ZEditor mod allowing to edit single player levels
ZGFX - Utility for extracting Z graphic
ZStats - Small utility for fine-tuning unit statistics
Z-Remake - XNA project on 2D IceCream Engine
arZca
Sniper
Sniper
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: Did you know...

Post by arZca » 2009-06-27, 11:41

Meeky wrote:Let us share here little discoveries you've made, that can help others to get the most of the game.
Here are mine relating game control:
1. For fast navigation hold right button and move around the map
2. To undo group selection, select group and press DEL key
3. To restart game press Ctrl+R
4. To quit game press Ctrl+Q
Undo group selection is all new to me, because I get flustrated when I have a bunch of units selected and there's no way to control them individually once they're a part of a group.

Oh, and I've got something to add, relating to game control as well:

M (Menu, during the game)
I'm not exactly sure about this, but there was a quick key for saving and loading the game as well if I remember correctly. :?:

BTW, is there any key that allows you to jump to your fort at once? This feature is included in many RTS games (For example C&C series, etc)
If I'm not online, I'll be probably catching Z's...
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Post by Meeky » 2009-06-27, 21:17

arZca wrote:Undo group selection is all new to me, because I get flustrated when I have a bunch of units selected and there's no way to control them individually once they're a part of a group.
Actually, you can add or remove unit into group by clicking on it with Ctrl key. For example, to exclude unit from the group, hold Ctrl key and select it.
arZca wrote:I'm not exactly sure about this, but there was a quick key for saving and loading the game as well if I remember correctly.
O, it's easy - "S" for saving and "L" for loading
arZca wrote:BTW, is there any key that allows you to jump to your fort at once? This feature is included in many RTS games (For example C&C series, etc)
No, but there are 4 bookmarks. 8)
To setup bookmark press Ctrl + F6 or Ctrl + F7 or Ctrl + F8 or Ctrl + F9
To go to the bookmark just press the function key (F6...F9) without Ctrl.
arZca
Sniper
Sniper

Post by arZca » 2009-07-01, 11:16

Yeah, this sounds incredibly stupid, but is there a way to attack your own units? :mrgreen: Sometimes this could be handy, especially when you have nearly 50 units and most of them are robots. You could get rid of the robots and build tanks instead! This would probably reduce your score, but who cares! :twisted:
The_Drummer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by The_Drummer » 2009-07-01, 13:17

In the original Z you could get back to the fort by pressing enter.
However in Z95 this was taken out. :/
I'm afraid the server z game 2 is full. However, I have set up two more:-

For Z95 players ONLY!!!, use:
Name: Z95!
Password: Tom
For DOSBox-Z players ONLY!!!, use:
Name: DOSBox-Z!
Password: Tom
Have fun!
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Post by Meeky » 2009-07-01, 20:19

arZca wrote:Yeah, this sounds incredibly stupid, but is there a way to attack your own units? :mrgreen: Sometimes this could be handy, especially when you have nearly 50 units and most of them are robots. You could get rid of the robots and build tanks instead! This would probably reduce your score, but who cares! :twisted:
It sounds rather hard-hearted :)
In my opinion it doesn't have sense - it you managed to get to 50 units than the outcome is determined.
arZca
Sniper
Sniper

Post by arZca » 2009-07-04, 10:28

Meeky wrote:
arZca wrote:Yeah, this sounds incredibly stupid, but is there a way to attack your own units? :mrgreen: Sometimes this could be handy, especially when you have nearly 50 units and most of them are robots. You could get rid of the robots and build tanks instead! This would probably reduce your score, but who cares! :twisted:
It sounds rather hard-hearted :)
In my opinion it doesn't have sense - it you managed to get to 50 units than the outcome is determined.
Too bad, I usually like to take all the territories before assaulting the enemy fort, even I'd already have a chance to win! :D However, there is a an alternative "way" to do this: Build more time-intensive robots, and this gives time for your tanks to be built! OR you can keep changing the unit being built from your robot factory, but then again, is it really worth of all that work?

Really up to you if want to make this big effort to archieve something this small and vain! :mrgreen:
tough power
Psycho
Psycho

Post by tough power » 2009-07-04, 10:43

If it's not all about keys pressing.
When you leave mechanized unit in a place if it's get damaged and you don't know. when you passing to the part of the map where it is for the first time before it's damaged, it's blinks once.
When you capture a flag with a factory manufacturing something, sometimes when you click cancel on the building process the time either gets shorter, either get's longer.
A- selects all units in your screen.
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Post by Meeky » 2009-07-04, 16:22

The_Drummer wrote:In the original Z you could get back to the fort by pressing enter.
However in Z95 this was taken out. :/
The funny thing is that they did it unwillingly - basically it's a Windows port bug.
The source code for this functionality remained unchanged since DOS version, but it did not work the same way on Windows - the code verifies ASCII key code for ENTER (0xD), but Windows doesn't report ENTER in ASCII at all, instead one should check for keyboard scan code VK_RETURN (0x1C) :D
I fixed the bug in my WinZ mod
arZca wrote: Too bad, I usually like to take all the territories before assaulting the enemy fort, even I'd already have a chance to win! However, there is a an alternative "way" to do this: Build more time-intensive robots, and this gives time for your tanks to be built! OR you can keep changing the unit being built from your robot factory, but then again, is it really worth of all that work?

Really up to you if want to make this big effort to archieve something this small and vain!
Instead, I guess it would be better to increase units limit to 99 as in net mode on pressing some cheat key. Will that do?
lil' T
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by lil' T » 2009-07-14, 16:52

Given you are playing on a jungle or city map (level 13+), you can suicide your robots by moving them into a river or sewer. Regularly, an alligator will come by and eat one of your robots. If no robots of a group are left, the unit disappears making room for building more tanks. :cheers:
arZca
Sniper
Sniper

Post by arZca » 2009-07-15, 10:18

Yeah, sometimes these "sewer monsters" can chew some of your robots! Maybe I'm not always the most rational guy when it comes to Z, but sometimes it's fun to gather a ton of units and attack your enemy. This means that I've been playing C&C series too much! :D

I encountered a rather unusual moment on Level 2 some weeks ago:

On the western side of the map (a bridge leading to CPU's fort), the road in recent vicinity of that bridge was impassable, and when I tried to move my Light Tank over the bridge, it started to attack the road, and there was a crack on that piece of road! Robots who had Grenades attacked the road as well. When I restarted the level, this didn't happen again. I believe that this has something to do with the rocks close to this road when my Light Tank was destroying the rocks. :shock: