Difference between Z and Z95

Place gaming and strategy issues for the original "Z" and the Expansion Kit "Z95" here.

Moderator: Brad

CiaranS
Grunt
Grunt
Are you a spam bot?: No

Difference between Z and Z95

Post by CiaranS » 2010-01-14, 20:37

Hello,

Once upon a time I bought Z the day it was published (is that really 15 years ago?).
In a bout of nostalgia I recently tried - unsuccessfully - to play Z again since, well, longer than I can remember, actually. Searching the all-knowing ´Net, I stumbled across this site and was thrilled to discover that there is not only a Windows version of Z (and a heartfelt thanks to Antares for his XP patch!), but also that there are still fans of this classic around, keeping it alive, probably way beyond the expectations of the Bitmap Brothers.

I´ve managed to play up to the first city planet level by now, and I´ve noticed a few differences to the original DOS version so far. I have, however, been unable to find a topic in which these are compiled, so I´m trying to do that. I´ll not go into different speed settings or difficulty levels (the first are definitely new, I´m not entirely sure about the second, but I´m fairly positive that the DOS Z only had one difficulty setting. I may be wrong, of course), just the ingame differences I´ve noticed.

One of the most obvious things is the third Tough, as well as their reduced hit points.
The sniper´s hit points also have been reduced and, as far as I can tell, so has their firing range, if only slightly.
The medium tank was a nasty surprise when I first encountered it: now it´s firing range is very slightly longer than that of the gun, ensuring that an undamaged Medium will always, without fail, win agains a gun.
The AI seems to be more defensive, building more gun emplacements once it has Howitzers and Missile Launchers at its disposal.

Very likely I´ve missed some points, but I´ll cordially invite you to add to the above.
lil' T
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Difference between Z and Z95

Post by lil' T » 2010-01-21, 22:29

I did not play the Windows version so often, but I recall this from my memory (may not be correct):

Level 11 "Chilly Willy" and Level 12 "Heavy Metal" are swapped in Z95, as well as Level 18 "Bridge Game" and Level 19 "Mayhem".
Game speed seems to be faster in Z95, even on the slowest setting. Unit build times are also shorter.
Greenman
Sniper
Sniper

Post by Greenman » 2010-01-23, 02:08

I've only ever played 95', never thought to try DOS because I assumed it would be the same.
Which one is better anyway?
lil' T
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by lil' T » 2010-01-23, 11:39

Gameplay-wise, there is not so much difference, so it is up to everyone to decide what is better to them. Personally, I like the original Z more because this is the first version I have played. :) And I also like it because you can run it in DOSBox with relatively few trouble, whereas Z95 is not so easy to get run on modern systems. let alone on Linux.

I also forgot that Z95 has some extra levels past level 20 that the DOS version does not have. I never bothered to play them. Oh, and it also has a level editor that is hardly usable.
FreakNigh
General
General

Post by FreakNigh » 2010-01-24, 01:21

I just started playing the new levels, really big but pretty much easy. As anyone else find them more difficult then the original ones? I find them a lot easier..
Image Image
plib
Tough
Tough

Post by plib » 2011-12-04, 18:10

- one thing I noticed was that the speed of robots is not halved when they cross water in WinZ

- another is that I had the impression that WinZ was more buggy than DosZ - e.g. I once sent a baddly bashed up mobile missile launcher to be repaired. Once it was inside a blue unit came to capture the repair facility, at least it tried. Suddenly the red mobile missile launcher fired from within(!) the repair facility while still being repaired and destroyed said blue unit. Normally such a thing would instead have blown the repair facility to bits.

the list of changes in the manual is remarkably long - I did not like the fact that the intelligence of grunts (Krieger in the German version...) was boosted from 3 to 5 - I would have preferred had it been possible to have robots get out of vehicles and replace them with more clever ones.