The next Z, what I think what must and could be in:...

Post your comments, ideas and suggestions about a new Z sequel here.

Moderator: Brad

commander
Sniper
Sniper

The next Z, what I think what must and could be in:...

Post by commander » 2006-08-24, 18:25

What I would like to see in the next Z (isn't it Z3?):

- Same units as in the first Z (and maybe a few more, but no sea and air units)
- Robots back in squads!
- Squad tactics (like in Company of Heroes: infantry automaticaly surch for cover. They use real squad tactics, one moving the others give covering fire, etc...)
- If air units are in make the battle around a whole planet (where the map is round like a planet is, so you can attack (and be attacked) from all sites.
- Maybe even galactic scale, like SW: Empire at War, where space is also in Territory's?
- The same (and improved) humor as in Z 1, like the robots fly into the sky when killed and then blow up on the ground. And that your troops are happy when you win. And hate you when you lose.
- NO base building (only buildable base defences).
- No resources, only the timer.
- The fort: be able to mount infantry on it, so they have got a high ground and cover bonus to the enemy.
- Cutting edge 3D graphics, where you can freely rotate with the camera (like in Ground Control 2) (if you dont like to rotate, dont use it, there are always players who DO like it!)
- First person mode: be able to play as one of the units. (Wont it be cool to lead your own tank rush from out a tank and not from RTS vieuw?)
- A new Z! :lazy:
PEACE! Through Superior Firepower!
CHYROS
General
General

Re: The next Z, what I think what must and could be in:...

Post by CHYROS » 2006-08-25, 03:08

commander wrote:What I would like to see in the next Z (isn't it Z3?):
- First person mode: be able to play as one of the units. (Wont it be cool to lead your own tank rush from out a tank and not from RTS vieuw?)
That could work; CnC Renegade worked quite well. Would take ages to program though...
Remember, the meek shall inherit nothing. -- The Book of Cataclysm
Tanel K
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tanel K » 2006-08-25, 12:49

Mostly the same thing as the previous Z. Part of the game should be playable with the classic ruleset and maps. And then some new maps that would include:

- New factories that can only produce different guns and perhaps equipment, such as grenades.
- Cluster bombs as "advanced grenades", so that they would be usable against togher tanks as well.
- Defensive stations for some buildings - like the fort had 4 towers. Guns on these should have increased range and perhaps shooting rate etc.
- Environment actions - rivers freezing, the city water somewhat burning, a volcano erupting (causing stones to spawn which have a similar effect to blown off vehicle turrets)
- Hero units for certain missions. A regular unit with improved stats.
- A lever editor for singleplayer with full capabilities.
- A very large limit for big maps. Although they kind of ruin the point of the game and are not fun to play, they still give players endlessly more options for map design (in the editor).
- MAYBE some air/naval units, but with little versatility and use - to not ruin the game. Just for the open-endedness.
- Wall pieces with hit points to develop interesting ideas.
- As somebody mentioned, squad tactics.
- Robot experience shown and a bit more distinct veteran skills.
- A few "missions" with special objectives, such as rescuing a hero unit, destroying a spedcial building whilst you are overpowered by the enemy etc.
- Some missions with 2 or more computer sides, allied or not.

- Multiplayability against the computer - such as two players against two or even three computer opponents. This enables fun battles with people whose network connection wouldn't be able to support over two players.
- Maps with up to 8 or so players - out of which some can be computer opponents for epic scale battles.
destination6
Tough
Tough

Post by destination6 » 2006-08-26, 00:46

i dont think hero units in Z would work for me (maybe only if they are not accessable in multiplayer but only in singleplayer mode, i dont like rts games being completely hero dependent)
CHYROS
General
General

Post by CHYROS » 2006-08-26, 13:41

destination6 wrote:i dont think hero units in Z would work for me (maybe only if they are not accessable in multiplayer but only in singleplayer mode, i dont like rts games being completely hero dependent)
Yuck, I agree, no heroes!
BERSERK3R
Captain
Captain

Post by BERSERK3R » 2006-08-26, 21:38

commander wrote:What I would like to see in the next Z (isn't it Z3?):
[...]
- A new Z! :lazy:
Same at the other points, but not quite this one though.
I have to say it would be so cool if it was a first person game like UT2004, but not both.
I think they should focus on the most important things, cause those things often lacks when other features are introduced.

I like to have first person Z game but it should be apart from the Z sequel.

The things that made Z great _ARE_ (and what _IS_ Z and must be in it!!!):
  • Humor - the way they talk, small jokes (playing cards, fishing, etc)
  • Voices - (please original voice actors!), "no way!" etc ;)
  • Interface
    1) easy scrolling (hold mouse button then move)
    2) same funny cursors
    3) Unit videofeed (top right) (like seeing him in a vehicle or standing outside and panic when he is under attack)
  • Gameplay - same!
    - Territory capture, repair, sniping out of vehicles and buildings!, etc
    - Leaking jeeps
    - Damaged vehicles etc
    - Exploding mountains or whatever
    - When capturing a flag unit should do some kind of victory dance just like in original Z.
They should just make changes to the graphics, instead of gameplay, humor or what ever or they will runin this game again.
They shouldn't look to much into making more units, buildings etc., we all know how it could turn out.

The good thing about making this game now is that the units can now even look like the ones in the movie scenes in game :cheers:

I hope they stick with the formula of Z, if there is no humor or jokes, etc then its just not Z but just another strategy game.
commander
Sniper
Sniper

Post by commander » 2006-08-27, 10:47

BERSERK3R wrote: The good thing about making this game now is that the units can now even look like the ones in the movie scenes in game :cheers:
Yeah, if they make a new Z the robots have to look like in the scenes between the missions of the original Z (but in mutch higher detail offcourse!).
PEACE! Through Superior Firepower!
Tanel K
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tanel K » 2006-08-27, 13:58

Also, what about moddability - with that i mean users being able to modify some of the graphics and unit properties. These cunstom configurations could be distributable as separate .mod files or packages, so that the mod wouldn't mess up the game.
Or then something for world creation, allowing you to design your own themed world (to side with Desert, Volcanic, Arctic etc). Or perhaps an official new world? :cheers:

Also the hero units i mentioned wouldn't be there in multiplayer, they wouldn't be producable. Just maybe one or two in a certain mission. They wouldn't have much of those "superpowers", just a bit more HP and stuff, not turning them into one-robot-armies.

Also how about gray robots that could be "captured" just like vehicles? Not vital, but also adds some open-endedness for the game.
destination6
Tough
Tough

Post by destination6 » 2006-08-27, 21:43

commander wrote: Yeah, if they make a new Z the robots have to look like in the scenes between the missions of the original Z (but in mutch higher detail offcourse!).
:/ i liked the 2d robots style
Advice 200
Pyro
Pyro

Post by Advice 200 » 2006-08-31, 23:17

Does anyone remember WarZone2100 a few years back?? In that game you could customize the manufacturing of units by choosing what turret/ tracks/ body that the unit had. It was ingenius at the time because as the battle progressed and you came across a situation such as a large heavily defended mountain fort you would have to switch production to Heavy Mortar/ Tank Tracks/ Heavy Armour. Once the defences were breached you could switch to producing say fast assault units to quicky raid the base.

I wonder would this type of customizable unit production be of any benefit to Z`s gameplay?
Danny
Grunt
Grunt

Post by Danny » 2006-09-22, 21:22

Hi all, C&C Red Alert 2 is a game much like Z and playing this online most nights I have found that many there have the same veiws towards the sequel Generals, it was a not what they wanted, there was even talk of a true sequal on their forum, Red Alert 2 has the same simplicity as Z and is just as addictive, even though it is from the same time as Z there are many hundreds of players on the server every night.

So lets keep it simple, more units, bigger maps, higher resolutions, better effects.

I'm off to play RA2, as soon as there is a Z server I'll be there in a shot.
CHYROS
General
General

Post by CHYROS » 2006-09-23, 05:11

Danny wrote:Hi all, C&C Red Alert 2 is a game much like Z
Ouch, that hurt.
Danny wrote:I have found that many there have the same veiws towards the sequel Generals, it was a not what they wanted
Download the Shockwave Mod; that'll show you just how good Generals can be ;)
Technosis
Pyro
Pyro

Post by Technosis » 2006-10-05, 13:45

So is this gonna continues on from when Alien give the shaken rocket fuel to commander Zod or is there gonna be a new type of story line where we see Zod straight away meh any way I want the cam view to stay the same and i hope they don?t use the same tanks in Z:SS. Same tanks and look the same from Z and more tanks would be awesome as :) and maybe a research center so we can make the takes and robot more powerful
Hi all, C&C Red Alert 2 is a game much like Z
:S doesn?t really look it
First person mode: be able to play as one of the units. (Wont it be cool to lead your own tank rush from out a tank and not from RTS view?)
does sound kinda good but i recon in another Z but i do like the idea even though it sounds like C&C renegade :idiot: