What new units would YOU like to see?

Post your comments, ideas and suggestions about a new Z sequel here.

Moderator: Brad

lumina
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by lumina » 2007-01-20, 20:33

Unit: Officer can command any type of unit help their AI and increase heir combat ability when near one. Can run as fast as a sniper do to zero HP/armor.

Pro: Aid allied bots make them smarter, and deadler if within Officer's effect range *grunt firing distance is effect range* can run fast so officer can move around map quickly to aid troops. AKA you get General Zod on the battle field when you make one and you can only have 1. xD

Cons: Alone officer sucks having fire power of a grunt with same range, low hp can not command vehicles.
"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
-- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)
knight
Grunt
Grunt

Re: What new units would YOU like to see?

Post by knight » 2008-01-28, 19:25

I like the discussion of a medic unit!

An officer unit also sounds pretty interesting to me.

I'm not a fan of the minelayer or the stealth tank. I think as far as vehicles go, Z is already colorful enough.

Maybe stealth robots? Like snipers, pick off gunners, vehicle crews.
Protagonist
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Protagonist » 2008-02-14, 07:21

Clanker or Spazzer, what ever name you think sounds better!:

A very heavy robot with same health as a laser but the speed just a bit faster than a tough. It is armed with a barret,
(A strong as type, in reality one shot kill of a sniper rifle) Which does the same damage as HALF a light tanks bullet to other robots and same as a grunts to a vehicle, lol. It's range is the same as a snipers and so is the ROF, rate of fire in other words.

It takes about 1 min longer than a tough to make and comes in groups of 2.
It requires a 4 star fort and a 3 star robot factory.

I hope it's not overpowered, is it?
And I hope you like it! ;D

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hummer

It's my idea of vehicle with the same health as a light and jeeps power. It has 2 jeep machine guns and one rocket launcher, (tough style!;D). It's speed is half way between the light and medium tanks, and it does the same damage as the jeep, for the machine guns, and the tough for the rocket. To make this slighty less powered I made it so it only does HALF the damage to robots as the original jeeps gun as there is 2, but everything else isn't changed.

It's range is the same as a toughs for both guns, meaning the jeep guns get upped a bit of range! ;)
It takes about 1 and a half mins longer than a light tank to manufacture and requires a 3 star fort or a 2 star vehicle factory! ;D

I hope it's not overpowered either, is it?
And I also, again hope you like it! ;D

By the way, no offense here but I hate the idea of stealth, air and water units. :( It just wouldn't be Z! (Especially Air!)
I'm crrently inactive on this site because of Highschool.
AppleNiNjA!
CHYROS
General
General

Post by CHYROS » 2008-02-14, 08:35

Protagonist wrote:Clanker or Spazzer, what ever name you think sounds better!:

A very heavy robot with same health as a laser but the speed just a bit faster than a tough. It is armed with a barret,
(A strong as type, in reality one shot kill of a sniper rifle) Which does the same damage as HALF a light tanks bullet to other robots and same as a grunts to a vehicle, lol. It's range is the same as a snipers and so is the ROF, rate of fire in other words.

It takes about 1 min longer than a tough to make and comes in groups of 2.
It requires a 4 star fort and a 3 star robot factory.

I hope it's not overpowered, is it?
And I hope you like it! ;D
Lol, no, sound more like heavily underpowered to me :P
Protagonist wrote:Hummer

It's my idea of vehicle with the same health as a light and jeeps power. It has 2 jeep machine guns and one rocket launcher, (tough style!;D). It's speed is half way between the light and medium tanks, and it does the same damage as the jeep, for the machine guns, and the tough for the rocket. To make this slighty less powered I made it so it only does HALF the damage to robots as the original jeeps gun as there is 2, but everything else isn't changed.

It's range is the same as a toughs for both guns, meaning the jeep guns get upped a bit of range! ;)
It takes about 1 and a half mins longer than a light tank to manufacture and requires a 3 star fort or a 2 star vehicle factory! ;D

I hope it's not overpowered either, is it?
And I also, again hope you like it! ;D
Well it doesn't sound OP but having a rocket launcher defeats the purpose of the machine guns a bit. I'd love any unit with two machine guns though, the bullet concept didn't reach its full potential in Z in my opinion.

EDIT: I just got a good idea of what I'd like to see. I'd really like it if you could specify what driver new vehicles would get. That is another tactical concept which wasn't fully used. Snipers make great drivers because they are so intelligent, but at the moment you can only get them by putting them into empty vehicles. Toughs are very dumb and often miss but take ages to shoot out of the vehicle. Etc. etc. etc. Could add a whole new layer of strategy without touching any base concepts of Z at all. :D
Remember, the meek shall inherit nothing. -- The Book of Cataclysm
The_Drummer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by The_Drummer » 2008-03-12, 23:31

Lets bring this thread back to life. I'd like to see other people's ideas. :)

Okay, a couple of new ideas:

- Sapper
A group of two robots who can be produced in 4* factories. They have the health of a psycho, but do not attack. Instead, they can lay mines to bridges and factories to destroy them. They take a certain amount of time to lay the mine, then they run away. If they die after they lay the mind but before it blows up, the mine does no damage.
I think this'd be a good idea but of course, balance is crucial. If its too fast, they could just blow up all the other enemy factories, but at least then cranes would be used more often. But, then again, its easy to just destroy buildings with units, so are they really needed? Comments welcome.

- Mobile Turret
This is a transforming tank. It is produced in a tank form, that is slow but had high armour, and has no weapons. But when it reaches a place, you can command it to transform, turning into a turret instead. It takes a certain amount of time to transform, and has a range of 5, while doing the damage of a heavy. It fires quite slowly. In this form, it has the health of a medium.
Again, this may be a good idea but it may kinda spoil the special simplicity of Z, but it does allow for good defence. Also, there should be a limit to how many of these can be produced, otherwise people will just surround their flags with them. Comments? Suggestions?

These do kinda spoil the fun simplicity of Z, so I don't know. But its hard to create a new unit that doesn't spoil the simplictiy of Z.
I'm afraid the server z game 2 is full. However, I have set up two more:-

For Z95 players ONLY!!!, use:
Name: Z95!
Password: Tom
For DOSBox-Z players ONLY!!!, use:
Name: DOSBox-Z!
Have fun!
CHYROS
General
General

Post by CHYROS » 2008-03-13, 01:04

The_Drummer wrote:Mobile Turret
That gave me a great idea: how about a mobile turret that deploys into a static defence, but can't transform back? That'd be pretty strategic and I can easily see myself using it tbh.
Remember, the meek shall inherit nothing. -- The Book of Cataclysm
The_Drummer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by The_Drummer » 2008-03-15, 18:40

@ Chyros: Nice idea - its more balanced than one that can constantly change.
Another thing I was thinking of was a mobile tank repairer. Repair facilities didn't reach their full potential (IMO), but these could help. Obviously, they'd work slower than a facility. Also, they'd have the armour of a medium and the speed of a Mo. Missile.

Have fun!
mortar
Grunt
Grunt

Post by mortar » 2008-09-07, 10:26

How about a Mortar bot.
Low speed but able to launch projectiles over buildings. Also cause damage to buildings.

I prefer better grouping in a new Z too.
Its frustrating when the pc's robots stay together and their snipers are able to stay just out of range of my fortress guns and snipe the occupants. Alas I dont have the same ability. Would be cool if it were a bit more even (this doesnt mean easier though).

What about a suicide bommer bot?
Stargazer
Tough
Tough

Post by Stargazer » 2008-09-07, 12:40

mortar wrote:Its frustrating when the pc's robots stay together and their snipers are able to stay just out of range of my fortress guns and snipe the occupants. Alas I dont have the same ability.

Actually, you have. By some unknown reasons when you click "attack" snipers move into enemy's gun range of fire. But if you send command "move" directly to gun, your snipers will stop just out of range and start shooting. I think it is just programming bug in the game.
The_Drummer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by The_Drummer » 2008-12-18, 23:44

Bump.
Another idea I recently came up with, how about an anti-tank?
This would kinda boost Robot abilities.
Basically, the bullet fires quite fast and is hard to dodge, has as much health as a heavy, and does the damage of a medium. Maybe range of 6 or so. It takes as long to produce as a heavy.
However, to stop it from being totally overpowered, it takes more damage from robot attacks, maybe about 2x or 3x, so Psychos, Pyros and stuff will be able to kill it quite easily. I think it'd be quite good as tanks make robots obsolete in Z a bit, maybe having this would increase their usage?

Have fun!
Z3r05t4r
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Z3r05t4r » 2008-12-27, 15:38

hmm how would it be with a commando bot? fast like sniper a bit more armor and maybe a laser gun or a machine gun. also he can blast factories trough timebombs he lays?
how about that?
Signature? I don't need one? Hmm seems like I have got one already...
Sam808
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Sam808 » 2009-01-05, 13:58

Z3r05t4r said
hmm how would it be with a commando bot? fast like sniper a bit more armor and maybe a laser gun or a machine gun. also he can blast factories trough timebombs he lays?
how about that?
I was thinking along the same lines... But a Commando unit(4 bots max, maybe one of each) one time only. That have extra powers... (whatever...)
I was thinking invisibility for 60 seconds or so? But to keep it simple, how about when one unit of snipers(only one unit) give the long range artillery "long range". So you still have the chance to take the Sniper unit out! Then that would be the end of that mission.... (so think carefully)

But whatever it is, I think it should be "one time only" option...
Arriga
Sniper
Sniper

Post by Arriga » 2009-01-06, 00:30

I think that in Z there is no need of any new unit... Perhaps because I got used to these tanks and robots by playing Z so much time.

However, if a sequel should come out, something interesting might be a laser gun (turret strong vs infantry) and a laser tank (not really a tank, more like an armored jeep).
And a maybe a moving artillery, a unit you can move wherever you want to defend strategical points such as bridges, I was thinking about level 16, you might place it ad the sides of the map and protect the central road.

Don't know if this is the right topic, maybe this can suggest more ideas. Since there is the chance to win by destroying the enemy fort, might a new unit enhance this strategy? :cheers:
Z3r05t4r
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Z3r05t4r » 2009-01-09, 12:33

i think everyone of you knows company of heroes?
maybe how would it be with special abilities which you can get when you invest "combat points" which you earn trough fighting. then you can send airforce troopers or something like that to a position of the battlefield? just an idea.
Signature? I don't need one? Hmm seems like I have got one already...
tough power
Psycho
Psycho
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by tough power » 2009-04-22, 12:32

I would like to see a tank capable of destroing air units and long range slow missiles with machine guns like the zsu 23 shilka in cooperation with a mobile radar for longer range detection, tough's who can hit slow air2ground missiles or bombs, diferent planes who can be send in diferent type off mission (bombardment, air-air or air-ground, radar atack). In real life aicrafts have diferent type of weapons. The mobile radar used to coordonate ground instalation and ground2air tanks against air atacks. Same thing about air units to be capable of firing long range weapons bwr with the help of stealth reconaisance aircrafts or mobile radar. Special tanks used in mine detection. the role of stealth observation should be taken by stealth aircrafts like the u2 and only for a limited time. Ground units carying fuel and ammo for robots and tanks from rafineries. Sorry about my bad english.