Your ideas about a sequel

Post your comments, ideas and suggestions about a new Z sequel here.

Moderator: Brad

BERSERK3R
Captain
Captain

Your ideas about a sequel

Post by BERSERK3R » 2005-07-04, 21:24

What are your ideas about a sequal.
For example:

- must be 3d
- new units
- same voices
BERSERK3R
Captain
Captain

Post by BERSERK3R » 2005-07-04, 21:32

I think that the bros. won't make it 2d again, so 3d is another option.
For those who are familiar with the game Warhammer: Dawn of War, can probably make a comparison with Warhammer and Z, and see that it could be still a good sequel, although it will not be better than Z.

A must is that they should have the same voices, that's just Z.
And of course must have the same humor and cut scenes as Z.

Althoug Z2 is in 3d, it doesn't look so good.
The 3d technology is much improved which means a Z sequel in 3d could be very nice.

Don't you think it would be cool if you could see your robots fighting and flying trough the air.

Some screenshots of Warhammer: Dawn of War:
screenshot 1
screenshot 2
screenshot 3
KISSMAD
General
General

Re: Your ideas about a sequal

Post by KISSMAD » 2005-07-05, 02:42

BERSERK3R wrote:What are your ideas about a sequal.
For example:

- must be 3d
- new units
- same voices
I was going to post the same question.

- It must have an level editor
- Be able to play against more than 1 computer player
- I would like it to be 2d but I'm ok with 3d :)
- Air and sea units would be cool
- Be able to choose the colour of your units
- Better quality cut scenes

Whatever the next version release is, I will be buying it. Z is my favourite RTS game.
Zod
Admin General
Admin General
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Zod » 2005-07-05, 15:56

I am against 3D. On first thought you might say: 3D would be cool, we have the technology now and so much modern 3D engines...

But wasn't that exactly what the BB's did with Z:SS? First there is 3D, then there is flying units, then this and that and... and before you know you have new game far to far away from the original and it will fail like Z:SS.

Isn't the reason why we're still here that we want Z95 back?

My idea of the new Z would be in a nutshell: Leave it as it is and give it some improvements

* Windows XP and Linux support
* stay with the birds eye perspective
* provide better resolutions (1280*1024)
* create new levels (new planets)
* modern level creator
* sea units is fine
* helicopters maybe
* TCP/IP multiplayer
* multiplayer server

Best regards,
George
BERSERK3R
Captain
Captain

Post by BERSERK3R » 2005-07-05, 15:59

Zod, you're right, I'd like to have it like you said but I don't think the bros. will do that.
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2005-07-05, 16:16

BERSERK3R wrote:but I don't think the bros. will do that.
I'm not sure about that. I think they felt the backlash about Z:SS 3d graphics and the game play. So hopefully they will return to the Z style of game. :)
Phil K
Laser
Laser

Post by Phil K » 2005-07-05, 22:47

I really couldn't give a toss about 2d - I am so desperate to get Z on again, I'd happily buy it if it was repackaged to play on XP in the original form. I've got Z:SS and never play it. Its crap compared to the original. But then, I'm preaching to the converted on that topic, eh ? :P
I've tried dosbox to get it going and have never managed it. It just ends up with C: and nowt else. Or something is missing. Infuriating.
Its more than likely I'm doing something wrong, but I gave up asking on vogons - I never got the "dummies" kind of walkthrough I needed ! (I'm not that dim - but my brain seems to stop working when trying to fathom out Z: means C: except after X: :roll: :wink:

PLEASE PLEASE BITMAP Bros - Re-Release the original Z ready to install on XP without all this fannying about that I can't understand ! :cry:
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2005-07-06, 02:25

Phil K wrote:I've tried dosbox to get it going and have never managed it. It just ends up with C: and nowt else. Or something is missing. Infuriating.
Its more than likely I'm doing something wrong, but I gave up asking on vogons - I never got the "dummies" kind of walkthrough I needed ! (I'm not that dim - but my brain seems to stop working when trying to fathom out Z: means C: except after X: :roll: :wink:
Hey Phil K, Have you read this topic?
viewtopic.php?t=28

Post by Guest » 2005-07-06, 10:24

KISSMAD wrote:Hey Phil K, Have you read this topic?
viewtopic.php?t=28
Yeah - tried it once again this morning actually in case I had missed something - but same main.pac critical error (it's "missing" apparently:roll:)
I tried both dvd-rom's (one a writer, one a dvd/cdr combo) and while I have always had one as Z: and tghe other X: (not in honour of the game, more because I keep adding stuff and this saves the bother of renaming them constantly) :wink:
But I renamed them - first to M and N then - oh well, you get the idea. But neither works under any name. I wonder if the problem is my old scratched disc ? I'd buy a new one but Bitmap seem to want to forget this game, for reasons best known to themselves..... :evil:
Phil K
Laser
Laser

Post by Phil K » 2005-07-06, 10:27

Whoops ! That was me above - hadn't signed in ! :oops:

Incidentally - is there anywhere I could buy a new copy (should be pretty cheap by now) of Z ? I have had a little look around, but no success (and am a bit wary of paying ???'s for a copy like is currently available on ebay.co.uk - seems like a copy anyway, the cover has only half the printed title at the bottom ! Not that I'm anti-copies, just that if I am paying dosh I'd like an original ) :wink:
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2005-07-06, 13:12

Anonymous wrote:
KISSMAD wrote:But I renamed them - first to M and N then - oh well, you get the idea. But neither works under any name. I wonder if the problem is my old scratched disc ? I'd buy a new one but Bitmap seem to want to forget this game, for reasons best known to themselves..... :evil:
I'm a little confused about your post. Did you change the drive letters for the actual drive or the drive letter in the z.bat file? If you changed the z.bat file, did you save the file as "all files" with the extention of .bat?
Phil K
Laser
Laser

Post by Phil K » 2005-07-06, 17:24

KISSMAD wrote: I'm a little confused about your post. Did you change the drive letters for the actual drive or the drive letter in the z.bat file? If you changed the z.bat file, did you save the file as "all files" with the extention of .bat?
Yep tried all those, including changing the drive letters to see if that would work !

Just tried once more - same "main.pac" error. Changed Z.BAT in notepad, saved it as Z.BAT (and all files) in both my players, same end product - critical file missing main.pac :(
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2005-07-07, 01:33

Phil K wrote:
KISSMAD wrote: I'm a little confused about your post. Did you change the drive letters for the actual drive or the drive letter in the z.bat file? If you changed the z.bat file, did you save the file as "all files" with the extention of .bat?
Yep tried all those, including changing the drive letters to see if that would work !

Just tried once more - same "main.pac" error. Changed Z.BAT in notepad, saved it as Z.BAT (and all files) in both my players, same end product - critical file missing main.pac :(
Ok. Pity it didn't work. Someone told me it worked for them, so I don't know what is going on.
BERSERK3R
Captain
Captain

Post by BERSERK3R » 2005-07-07, 01:57

Can we go ontopic again please, this looks like another topic now :P .
KroaKer
Tough
Tough

Post by KroaKer » 2005-07-09, 07:43

lol well to get back on topic i think all the novelties should barely be changed (sounds, explosions 8) etc. ) just cuz this was the game i grew up with. definitely keep it 2d. maybe, as others have said, better OS support, more and different types of units, better multiplayer, same style of awesome cut-scenes, and a reaaaaallyy kick-ass level editor just cuz i live for making my own lvls :) . also, enhanced 1-player skirmish mode (with level editor support hehe). Z:SS had a lot of good intentions. they should just take those ideas and put them in to the Z we love