Z Expansion and Windows Vista

Post questions and issues for Antares' Z Expansion XP patch here. This comfortable launcher allows to play Z Expansion in W2K/XP/Vista.

Moderator: Brad

Zod
Admin General
Admin General
Are you a spam bot?: No

Z Expansion and Windows Vista

Post by Zod » 2008-01-03, 03:50

Hi all,
Windows Vista is getting more and more common these days (ok, ok, I don't like it either that much yet) and I thought I just let you know that I had no problems using the Z Expansion Setup under WIndows Vista as well.

Just throw in your Z Expansion Kit CD and start the setup_zexp program. You can find it in the Downloads sections of the main site.

The game installed fine and I could play it right away after installation. The only thing I realized, but thet was the same under XP, is that the fort blow-up cut scenes run extremely slow. Since I was using an Asus G2S it is not a hardware issue :mrgreen: .

Share your Vista experiences in this thread.

Best regards,
Zod
Attachments
vista_setup_001.png
vista_setup_001.png (32.47 KiB) Viewed 17084 times
Zen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Z Expansion and Windows Vista

Post by Zen » 2008-01-03, 03:55

Good to hear this! So Z-spirit can at least survive the next 5 years :shake:

Edit: Is it also compatible to the 64bit Windows versions?
Jabber: zen at jabber.ccc.de (no email!)
Ravey
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ravey » 2008-01-03, 17:47

Awesome.

Hopefully I won't have the need to upgrade anytime soon though!
dingo
Psycho
Psycho

Post by dingo » 2008-01-06, 05:07

hey guys an gals,
i just recently brought the game Z platinum off trade me but am unable to get it to work on my computer. i am running windows vista an when i go to play the game a msg comes up that this system does not support full screen mode. was wondering if anyone new a way to make it work,
cheers, dingo
Zod
Admin General
Admin General
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Zod » 2008-01-06, 20:27

Hi dingo,

go the Downloads section of the ZZone, download setup_zexp.zip and install the game with it. I just did so (see post above) and the game worked fine.

Best regards,
Zod
dingo
Psycho
Psycho

Post by dingo » 2008-01-09, 11:22

Hi ZOD,
thanks mate will give it a go. but i ain't got the expansion i don't think i got z platinum. will it still work??

cheers dingo
Ravey
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ravey » 2008-01-09, 16:34

ZExpansionXP is the patch that allows you to insert your Z cd and use the program to install the game and patches it for XP/Vista. It's not a matter of whether you have it or not because ZEXP itself is a free program, what you do need is a Windows 95 version of Z rather than the earlier DOS version for it to work.
dingo
Psycho
Psycho

Post by dingo » 2008-01-10, 10:13

hey guys sorry i still don't understand. wat do i do? wats the download called i can't find it, sorry to be dumb ass,
cheers dingo
dingo
Psycho
Psycho

Post by dingo » 2008-01-10, 10:45

hey guys mine must be a dos version because i can't get it to work ay, cheers anyways
Zen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Zen » 2008-01-10, 14:07

dingo wrote:hey guys mine must be a dos version because i can't get it to work ay, cheers anyways
Yes, Z Platinum is the desversion :mrgreen: And it is very easy to get it working with dosbox

@Zod

We definitely need a FAQ Topic "How do I install Z DOS/Z95". It is too complicated to search in older topics! But my English isn't that good :x
Jabber: zen at jabber.ccc.de (no email!)
The_Drummer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by The_Drummer » 2008-01-13, 15:05

Well... The only thing is, whenever I try to do it, DEP (Data Execution Prevention) stops it from working. I dont know if its the Z95 thing I'm using (I downloaded it off some Russian site off the internet), and just generally have problems getting it to work. It also doesn't want to run on XP for me either, so I don't know. I need some method of getting it to work... I also need a new Z95, but I don't know where to get it :P I still check eBay regularly though ^^ :P

The_Drummer
I'm afraid the server z game 2 is full. However, I have set up two more:-

For Z95 players ONLY!!!, use:
Name: Z95!
Password: Tom
For DOSBox-Z players ONLY!!!, use:
Name: DOSBox-Z!
Password: Tom
Have fun!
XStrategy
Major
Major

Post by XStrategy » 2008-01-19, 16:43

I also play Z on Vista and have no problems with it.

I also tried to connect my PC and Laptop (both on Vista) using Ethernet local cable and played Z Exp multiplayer myself against... myself.. oh, blue won anyway :rofl:
Z and only Z1
buman
Major
Major

Post by buman » 2008-01-21, 00:05

Hey Zod I think you should go ahead and add some tutorial-section to zzone´s mainpage, containing tutorials like
-Z and XP using dosbox
-Z95 and XP using the new installer
-Z and Linux
-Z via Hamachi (dosbox)
-Z95 via Hamachi
and maybe we even have more tutorials. Some of them are already translated to the german language.
I think more people would then try to get Z running again (f.i. in this forum you only find a way of getting Z running under XP by searching the forums and by reading threads, know what i mean?).
Bauernfünfer
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Bauernfünfer » 2008-08-11, 17:27

hi. i got z95 and this installer.

but i dont get it how to install.

shall i install with the setup or how??

i installed the setup and it worked fine. i can see the intro, but ingame the language is spanish, i solved this problem with this patch.
but when i start the campaign, it stop at the loading screen of level1.

btw, at main screen ingame, i only see the top of the 4 windows. if i select one, i cant see the outcoming oppurtunities.
sry for this bad sentence, i dont get the special words for this, i hope someone will understand it. :D
this not seeing problem is solved too, i made 256colors.
Bauernfünfer
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Bauernfünfer » 2008-08-11, 18:10

now i copied the Z folder from cd to my disk. after that i started the launcher and it installed the game. so far no problem.

now, my folder .../games/Z/bitmap brothers/Z looks like this.

when i use the launcher now, i inserted the folder where Z is, he says:
"Disbale mode compatibility in properties winz.exe"

got Windows Vista german edition.

i tried around but i dont know how to solve it. i dont have activated any compatibility. i can start the game with winz, but then i got the problem that it stops at the loading screen.

help ME plz!

i downloaded Zexp somewhere here. in an other thread, someone said its a difference at the installing if u have a CD or the downloaded.
is it true? its spanish version, but i downloaded the english patch. i copied the english exe into the folder. it would be nice if someone could give me a install guide. i read the one before but its so short. i dont know when i should use the launcher. shall i install via setup or copy the Z folder from cd to a disk and then use the launcher... i dont know.......... :(

EDIT: i need to patch it to english, cause in spanish he wants a CD to start.

last one: which button should be used to start Z?? with the launcher? or an data of Z folder?