Z Expansion and Windows Vista

Post questions and issues for Antares' Z Expansion XP patch here. This comfortable launcher allows to play Z Expansion in W2K/XP/Vista.

Moderator: Brad

Bauernfünfer
Psycho
Psycho

Re: Z Expansion and Windows Vista

Postby Bauernfünfer » 2008-08-12, 16:45

after trying around, i made it to run!!! voice is english, but main menu is german. nice.!

ty
lokocha
Grunt
Grunt

Postby lokocha » 2008-10-31, 00:31

hello ZOD,

I have a problem, i can't play Z on vista.
I have put Z expansion CD in my cd rom player, and i have download setup_zexp.zip . but when i want to install the game , i have a message " insert z expansion cd rom" ( my cd is in the computer !!!)

i don't know what can i do?

help me please...
sabix
Psycho
Psycho

Postby sabix » 2008-11-02, 10:33

Windows Vista 64 bit works with SetupXP.
(english - enterprise edition)

at Bauernfünfer: did you use the vertuo 1.6.5 of setupxp?
pjtr
Sniper
Sniper

Postby pjtr » 2009-01-10, 19:41

Hello,

my attempts to run Z95 (Antarares Setup 1.6.5) at my Vista (Ultimate 64-bit) system failed.
additional info: Please note that the setup menu of the Z95 XP Setup tells me that it is the 1.6.0 version that I am running. Can anyone give me a link to the 1.6.5 version of the setup? Antares 1.6.5. link deliveres, so it seems to me, the wrong version.

The application does not work anymore is what I get after clicking the program.

Also, setting the windows compatibility modes of either ZXP or WINZ executable files is not an option either, for the program tells me to Remove the compatibility mode of WINZ after starting it.

Can anyone give me a guide how to get this program run under Vista 64? Could You post system specs? What could be the problem of my dilemma?

I also checked Antares beta 1.7 patch, but this one did not give me any results either.
Antares
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Antares » 2009-01-11, 11:51

pjtr
Write to the configuration of your computer, installed antivirus or other protective programs.

lokocha
Where you have this CD? What language is your game?
pjtr
Sniper
Sniper

Postby pjtr » 2009-01-11, 12:48

Hello Antares, these are my system specs:

Vista Ultimate 64-bit with SP1
Intel Duo Core T7300 @ 2 Ghz
2 GB RaM
NVIDEA Quadro NVS140M
game was not installed on C Drive

I have uninstalled the F-Prot Virus to double check if there are any problems with this software, so it could not be the case.

Interestingly, the Z worked quite well on a HP (Vista 32-bit) notebook of my girlfriend. I do not even know if it was the 1.6.5 edition of Z I have used.

Cheers,

pioja
Antares
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Antares » 2009-01-11, 16:12

Well what can I say, I have a very cost Vista x64, is it I write the new version, everything is working perfectly. The reason for either the software (antivirus, firewalls, etc.), which is blocking its work, or improper installation. What happens when you try to run?
pjtr
Sniper
Sniper

Postby pjtr » 2009-01-11, 16:22

Hello Antares,

this is what happens after a fresh install from http://imasters.org.ru/viewtopic.php?id=20 without Virus scan installed:

I see the gray menu on the top for one or two seconds, then the program tells me that "winz stopped functioning".

I reinstalled the virus scanner, and it does not seem to interfere.

Also, what I am a little bit puzzled: Is the installer at the link above the 1.6 or the 1.6.5 istalled? On the website, it is written that the latest version is the 1.6.5 version. But when I execute it, it tells me it is the 1.6 version. Also, the readme html files tell me nothing of a 1.6.5 version. Did You simply forget to change the verison number and update the readme?

Where can I download the 1.6.5 version of the installer? The link above may be a wrong version, and there is nothing to download at zzone.

Cheers,

Piotr
Antares
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Antares » 2009-01-11, 18:50

then the program tells me that "winz stopped functioning".
It very strange, neither a patch nor game can give out such reports. Some external source prevents the patch.

The version that you download to my forum, is right (1.6.5). In installator simply does not indicate the latter index.
pjtr
Sniper
Sniper

Postby pjtr » 2009-01-11, 19:50

Indeed, it is a Windows error window that tells me that winz.exe does not work anymore.

In fact, I tried to make a screen capture of the grey menue screen before the error appears by using the print button. The very second I hit the button the program stops working, the menue disappears and the error message pops up. I can not make a screen shot of the basic menue.

I even ran zxp.exe as admininstrator, and even then it stopped working.

How does Your patch work? How does zxp.exe and winz.exe work? What else could interfere with Your patch?

Regards,

Piotr
Antares
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Antares » 2009-01-11, 23:19

1. you tried to run a only winz.exe? when you receive errors when you run, then push skip button, what happens?
2. What language of your operating system ang OS girlfriend?
3. Try to do is to screenshot errors (no menu)
4. For the video card you are the latest drivers?
pjtr
Sniper
Sniper

Postby pjtr » 2009-01-11, 23:52

Hello Antares,

thank You for Your fast reply.

1. I tried to run only winz.exe - the same error appears. There is no choice on the error window menu. No skip etc. All it says is that the program "winz does not work anymore" and that they are searching of a solution. After that, I return to explorer or command prompt.
2. My gf OS is Vista 32bit (german). So we have the same language.
3. Sure. http://www.flickr.com/photos/33556420@N02/3189335178/. The rest of the screen is black, and the grey menu line on the top has disappeared.
4. Hm. I think so, but I have to check it. However, I had an auto update about 1 month ago. Still, I need to check it to be absolutely sure.

Tricky. I think You are right and it has to be something with my system. Does the deactivation of direct 3d help?
Antares
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Antares » 2009-01-12, 14:52

Does the deactivation of direct 3d help?
No. The game does not use Direct3D, only DirectDraw.

It may be the case in a very cool video card? I had to face problems Nvidia card, which does not start or work properly the old game. This, of course, only an assumption, I'm not sure that it is in it.

I do not know how it will be in English or German version of Windows, but I think you understand me. Go to "Control Panel" -> "Administrative Tools" -> "Event Viewer", tab "journals windows" -> "the application". Look there, the record with an error of "winz.exe" or do the export of this journal in a file, and send him to me or attach to the message. This could clarify the cause of the problem.
pjtr
Sniper
Sniper

Postby pjtr » 2009-01-13, 00:05

Hello Antares,

the error logs are appended to this message. You will find three files formats: windows error format, xml and txt.
The first error comes from executing zxp.exe (oldest timestamp). The second error is generated from executing winz.exe. There is some info in between those two errors which might be interesting to that problem.

I hope this helps a little.

Cheers,

Piotr
Attachments
Error.rar
(5.33 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Antares
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Antares » 2009-01-13, 01:01

Yes, this is the right thing. I found the cause of the error. The problem is that for whatever reasons, then you are not work DirectDraw. In the game there is no check on this case and it is a mistake. I will make the appropriate changes in the new patch, but it does not remedy the situation (but I will try). Something in your system does not give the game to use DirectDraw.

What exactly is satisfied that, I attached "hot plugin". What would use it, you need to have patch version 1.7 beta. Just unzip the file into a directory with the patch and run. If my conclusions are correct, then you will not receive an error message, the game just closes.

Added...
I seem to understand the problem, perhaps you have installed on your notebook, two video-chips, one simple to save battery life and display the desktop, and other graphics accelerator NVS 140M.
Attachments
DDrawC.zip
(183 Bytes) Downloaded 169 times