Z Expansion 1.7 beta

Post questions and issues for Antares' Z Expansion XP patch here. This comfortable launcher allows to play Z Expansion in W2K/XP/Vista.

Moderator: Brad

Parlamenter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Z Expansion 1.7 beta

Postby Parlamenter » 2010-01-11, 16:43

joker wrote: Those people who would want to play without admin right know how to edit the registry and move the necessary entries from HKLM to HKCU.
You can patch the string "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" in game exe-file with any hex editor. It may help but I don't know how launcher checks the needed version of game exe-file.
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Postby Meeky » 2010-01-11, 23:08

joker wrote:You are kidding me, right?
I'm not asking for a new installer, because this is NOT needed!
Those people who would want to play without admin right know how to edit the registry and move the necessary entries from HKLM to HKCU.

So that basically means WE ALL cannot play Z95 on machines without admin rights, because you feel like you have no time?
C'mon Meeky! This would only take you like 10 minutes to make a new patch which requests the keys from HKCU, instead of HKLM?!

Don't let us down!
No, it does not take 10 minutes, several hours at the least :roll:
And who is "us" you are referring to? Do you play at work or on a public computer?

There is a new version of WinZMod.exe in the attachment, that you asked for.
Its new "/hkcu" switch key enables to run the game on computers without administrative rights.
Before running the mod, create registry entries under HKCU key. For the purpose, you can avail yourself of attached HKCU.reg file.
Parlamenter wrote: You can patch the string "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" in game exe-file with any hex editor. It may help but I don't know how launcher checks the needed version of game exe-file.
Hi, Parlamenter!
Nice to here you :)
Why did you decide, that key handle is stored as a string literal? :)
By the way, the launcher checks file version by TimeDateStamp in PE Header, so patching the file won't hurt :D
Attachments
WinZMod.part3.rar
(104.03 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
WinZMod.part2.rar
(219.73 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
WinZMod.part1.rar
(219.73 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
WinZMod - mod for playing Z with high screen resolution
ZEdMod - ZEditor mod allowing to edit single player levels
ZGFX - Utility for extracting Z graphic
ZStats - Small utility for fine-tuning unit statistics
Z-Remake - XNA project on 2D IceCream Engine
Parlamenter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Parlamenter » 2010-01-12, 08:57

Meeky wrote: Hi, Parlamenter!
Nice to here you :)
Why did you decide, that key handle is stored as a string literal? :)
Yeah. Hi! I was asleep and played with Z too long time ago.
We have to patch "push 80000002h" to "push 80000001h" at few locations.

P.S. ? ??? ???? ???? ????? ? ?????????? ????????? ?????????? ???????? ? ?? ???????. ? ?? ???? ? ????? ?????????? ??????? ?????????. :lazy:
lil' T
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby lil' T » 2010-01-22, 13:06

The download link of the 1.7 beta from imasters.org does not work for me. Could anybody upload it somewhere, please?

EDIT: Apparently, it works again.
BERSERK3R
Captain
Captain

Postby BERSERK3R » 2010-04-03, 18:15

I have some issues with 1.7 Beta.
When I win the match, the fort explodes and from that point the game slowsdown insanely and has like 1fps...
Is this "normal", or is it just my pc?
The rest of the game runs fine really.
XStrategy
Major
Major

Postby XStrategy » 2010-04-19, 05:47

thanks to Meeky and Antares for the great patch!!!
Z and only Z1
CHYROS
General
General

Postby CHYROS » 2010-06-24, 20:39

Heya guys, it's good to be back if only for a short while :) . Wanted to ask a question: is there a way to make screenshots with this launcher? I seem to recall there being one but I don't remember. Printscreen does capture a screen but the colours in it are unrecognisably mangled up, so it doesn't work. Wasn't there some hotkey for it in this launcher?

Thanks mates,

Chyros
Remember, the meek shall inherit nothing. -- The Book of Cataclysm
Phil K
Laser
Laser

Postby Phil K » 2010-07-13, 16:14

Thanks Meeky. Haven't been on here for ages, didn't think I'd get an answer. Stopped looking and bingo !
Will try this, and thanks for your help.
Will reply if it works OK :cheers:
Phil K
Laser
Laser

Postby Phil K » 2010-07-14, 22:48

joker wrote:
Meeky wrote:
joker wrote:Hi Meeky, any chance you change your patch so that the registry keys are written/read in HKCU instead of HKLM?
I think it should be possible for you to redirect the registry access.
That patch would also require writing new installer for the game. I'm currently busy with Z clone project, so I have no spare time for that kind of undertaking, sorry.
You are kidding me, right?
I'm not asking for a new installer, because this is NOT needed!
Those people who would want to play without admin right know how to edit the registry and move the necessary entries from HKLM to HKCU.

So that basically means WE ALL cannot play Z95 on machines without admin rights, because you feel like you have no time?
C'mon Meeky! This would only take you like 10 minutes to make a new patch which requests the keys from HKCU, instead of HKLM?!

Don't let us down!
Don't come across as such an impatient, self-obsessed dickhead.
If you want it so bad, DO IT YOURSELF
Or PAY Meeky to do it, if you're demanding it.

I can't even get the bloody thing to work properly, yet appreciate all the work put in by the likes of Meeky
And am delighted with the idea of a Z clone
Whenever you're ready, Meeky mate. You'll make our day with a Z clone
Ignore the dick throwing tantrums because you're not dropping everything to help HIM immediately (Jesus wept...) :roll: .
FreakNigh
General
General
Are you a spam bot?: No

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-07-17, 01:31

joker I hate to bring it to ya, but you also probably MANAGED to run Meeky off. And I think I speak for everyone who actually puts their own professional time into this game, if you demand I do anything for you in relation to my clone I hope Phil K will come around and tell you to fuck off too.
Image Image
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-07-20, 01:29

Wouldn't it be better if you spent your time for your own "project" instead?
Ya I guess I should stop wasting my time with you and just thank you for treating meeky like shit. Your the only one that can ask meeky a question. Thanks man, you have made it perfectly clear that if we ever need someone to treat someone like shit to get something done you are who we should contact. Also we should stop thanking meeky and just thank you for everything.
Image Image
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-07-20, 14:00

So I guess the fact that I got all the graphics and sounds from meeky and that meeky was also using them for his clone doesn't mean anything. Because meeky owns the game and you own him therefor you are great. This isn't the first game I've cloned and your not the first person I've met who can only identify themselves by attacking and forcing their way above someone who is great (like meeky). :rofl:

But I guess your right, all you did was treat meeky like shit and ask a question. What are you supposed to do now? Apologize??! If you hadn't treated him like shit we wouldn't have meeky's tool with extra unneeded admin support for the lazy! What are you so upset about, we already thanked you for being great!
Last edited by FreakNigh on 2010-07-20, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
BERSERK3R
Captain
Captain

Postby BERSERK3R » 2010-07-20, 14:23

joker wrote:
FreakNigh wrote:Ya I guess I should stop wasting my time with you and just thank you for treating meeky like shit. Your the only one that can ask meeky a question. Thanks man, you have made it perfectly clear that if we ever need someone to treat someone like shit to get something done you are who we should contact. Also we should stop thanking meeky and just thank you for everything.
As I already said, you are talking bullshit.
The one who is treating others like shit is you and your stupid companion philly.
Infact you are treating me like shit with your baseless attacks. Stop spreading lies you dumb hypocrite!

And yea, did YOU ask Meeky to modify the patch to be able to play without admin rights?
No you didn't, and there are several people who weren't able to play Z95 before that modification!
Stop thanking Meeky and thanking me? Exactly where did I state that? OMG, you are really one distorted mind!
You are breaking forum rules and netiquette.
Saying with the female Z computer voice: "You are crap!"

Btw, are you really using the original Z sounds in your project? :lol: Found in your windows packages.
Lame move to steal copyrighted contents! :empty:
Now don't tell me that you re-recorded all the robot chats with your own or a friend's voice!
They are all clearly stolen!!
And don't tell us that you are considering Z to be something like the blasphemy "abandon ware"!
Now, you really shut the fuck up. But wait, maybe we should report you and someone is going to sue your ass? ...

PS: From now on you are also on my foes list because it makes no sense reading your shit. And to be honest: Meeky and me don't need you to be here.
Dude, be cool.
If you have any issues with someone, dont shout it out here just do that by pm.
Also I will report you to the Admin because of your unappropriate behaviour.
I recommend everyone not to reply to Joker's comments, just let him go, its not worth it.
I think everyone is doing there best for everyone and there is no gain in there projects for themselfs, its all its for the Z-community.
lil' T
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby lil' T » 2010-07-20, 16:08

Sigh, how I wish there was a moderator here right now.
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Postby Meeky » 2010-07-20, 22:04

Thanks you guys for your readiness to come and help me, I appreciate it. But that wasn't needed really, because if I didn't feel that modification could benefit some Z fans who just can't run it, for example, on work and play it in lunch break I wouldn't heed to anything that Joker says and simply wouldn't do it. That was the reason why I changed my mind and if it weren't for it all his dogged insistence and maybe somewhat cheekiness would fall flat on me. So, please, save it! Stop squabbling over that post!
WinZMod - mod for playing Z with high screen resolution
ZEdMod - ZEditor mod allowing to edit single player levels
ZGFX - Utility for extracting Z graphic
ZStats - Small utility for fine-tuning unit statistics
Z-Remake - XNA project on 2D IceCream Engine