Critical File missing: main.pac

Post questions and issues for Antares' Z Expansion XP patch here. This comfortable launcher allows to play Z Expansion in W2K/XP/Vista.

Moderator: Brad

lingm04
Tough
Tough

Critical File missing: main.pac

Post by lingm04 » 2009-01-17, 07:50

Hey everyone its great to see that there are so many fans of the Z games.

Its been about 3 years since i last played Z and now i am on windows XP service pack 2 and i get this main.pac error message. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i still want to be able to play an old classic like Z again.

Edit: I think this might be in the wrong place because i don't have Z expansion i just have the original first Z..........
BallWin
Major
Major

Re: Critical File missing: main.pac

Post by BallWin » 2009-01-17, 10:18

lingm04 wrote:Hey everyone its great to see that there are so many fans of the Z games.

Its been about 3 years since i last played Z and now i am on windows XP service pack 2 and i get this main.pac error message. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i still want to be able to play an old classic like Z again.

Edit: I think this might be in the wrong place because i don't have Z expansion i just have the original first Z..........
You should instal the version of game for Windows XP. Look FAQ.
I.e. you should use either Z_DOS XP, or Z95 with a Antares Patch.
It is possible to use original Z_DOS with DosBox (look topics about customisation DosBox for XP).

The best solution to use Z95 with a Antares Patch. It will give you new possibilities.
lingm04
Tough
Tough

Post by lingm04 » 2009-01-17, 11:10

BallWin wrote:
lingm04 wrote:Hey everyone its great to see that there are so many fans of the Z games.

You should instal the version of game for Windows XP. Look FAQ.
I.e. you should use either Z_DOS XP, or Z95 with a Antares Patch.
It is possible to use original Z_DOS with DosBox (look topics about customisation DosBox for XP).

The best solution to use Z95 with a Antares Patch. It will give you new possibilities.

Its says patch not done, you must have another problem when i try and run the file after extracting it.........i am sorry i am retarded when it comes to things like this. Is there a step by step way to fix this problem? I managed to download a patch from bitmap brothers but i don't know how to save the patch to the same directory that i installed the game...........help!
BallWin
Major
Major

Post by BallWin » 2009-01-17, 13:49

lingm04 wrote:Its says patch not done, you must have another problem when i try and run the file after extracting it.........i am sorry i am retarded when it comes to things like this. Is there a step by step way to fix this problem? I managed to download a patch from bitmap brothers but i don't know how to save the patch to the same directory that i installed the game...........help!
Z_DOS_XP:
- Any version for XP does not demand any additional instructions. You should instal only game and it will work.

Z_DOS (original):
- Receive DosBox and instal with it game (use instal.exe instead of setup.exe)
- Customise DosBox (search for topics with the detailed description of procedure)
- Start game with DosBox

Z95_XP:
1. Receive Z95 (buy, search ico and burn CD or connect with DiamondTools)
2. Receive Antares Patch
3. Instal game with Antares Patch
lingm04
Tough
Tough

Post by lingm04 » 2009-01-17, 22:06

"Start game with DosBox"

How do i do this. DO i have to open DOS BOX and then type something ................Sorry about all this but like i said before i am not that great with computers. thanks for all the help agian
BallWin
Major
Major

Post by BallWin » 2009-01-18, 13:29

lingm04 wrote:"Start game with DosBox"
How do i do this. DO i have to open DOS BOX and then type something ................Sorry about all this but like i said before i am not that great with computers. thanks for all the help agian
I meant possibility of search in topics of this forum...
??.
My old instruction (the original here) it will be probably useful.

== Setup for original Z_DOS in Windows XP ==
You have: game disk Z, installed programm DOSBox

The instructions (step by step):
1. To copy CD on hard disk in folder C:\Z_CD (any name, "Z_CD" as an example)
2. Create on hard disk empty folder C:\ZED
3. Run programm DOSBox:
-- write in command line: mount d /Z_CD –t cdrom
-- press key Enter
-- write in command line: mount ? /ZED –freesize 40
(now "folder ZED" == "hard disk C: 40 Mb size")
-- press key Enter
-- write in command line: d:
-- press key Enter
-- write in command line: install
(Such is indeed the case! No "setup"! Use "install"!!!)

-- press key Enter
-- install game on you hard disk C: (which actually folder ZED) and accept the default name of the catalogue game ("Z")

-- write in command line: C:
-- press key Enter
-- write in command line: CD Z
-- press key Enter
-- write in command line: SETSOUND
-- press key Enter
-- for a MIDI is select "Roland MT-32 MIDI with MPU-401 MIDI Interface"
-- for a digital audio is select "100% ? Sound Blaster"

-- run test MIDI and digital audio. Probably for a MIDI it is required to change a select.

-- with a sound and music all is excellent? Good. Run game - write in command line: Z.BAT
-- enjoy :)
The video too will work ;)

==== Setup Z_COOL (DOS) in Windows XP ===
You have: CD Z_COOL, programm DOSBox http://dosbox.sourceforge.net, path_Z_XP http://generalzod.narod.ru/file/Cachatk ... Z95_XP.rar

Step by step carry out actions:

- copy CD Z_COOL on a hard disk in a folder C:\Z_CD
- create on a hard disk an empty folder C:\ZED
- start DOSBox
- write in a command line: mount d /Z_CD –t cdrom
- press Enter
- write in a command line: mount ? /ZED –freesize 40
- press Enter
- write in a command line: d:
- press Enter
- write in a command line: install
On the screen something, similar to it.

- press Enter
- install game in folder C:\Z

- write in a command line: C:
- press Enter
- write in a command line: CD Z
- press Enter
- write in a command line: SETSOUND
- press Enter
- choose for MIDI and AUDIO a position "Creative Labs Sound Blaster or 100% compatible"

- close a window of installation of a sound
- write in a command line: exit
- press Enter

It is possible to play, but we need to establish patch.

- copy from CD in a C:\ZED\Z of a folder LEVEL01 … LEVEL40 (all folders with levels!)
- unload files patch in a folder C:\ZED\Z (overwrite, if it is required)
- to play the game: open Z-COOL.EXE
==================================

It is possible to read more detailed information here link and in other similar topics.
lingm04
Tough
Tough

Post by lingm04 » 2009-01-18, 22:42

mate you are a genius with your help it is now working thank you very much!!!!!!!!

Just one thing, how do i make the screen bigger?

Thanks again, you are the man!
lingm04
Tough
Tough

Post by lingm04 » 2009-01-19, 05:55

how do i access the game after all this when i exit the game? Do i have to type that mount stuff everytime?
lil' T
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by lil' T » 2009-01-21, 23:14

You can add the mount commands at the end of the [autoexec] section of the DOSBox configuration file dosbox.cfg in the directory where DOSBox is installed. Everytime you start DOSBox, every command below [autoexec] will be executed.
lingm04
Tough
Tough

Post by lingm04 » 2009-01-22, 01:30

How do i do that? During the game on Dosbox the game is really laggy and slow, is there a newer version of DOSBOX which i can download to make it smoother and faster gameplay? thanks

And how do you skip the intro in the beginning with the two robots in the spacecraft?
Antares
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Antares » 2009-01-22, 11:50

Try my build DosBox, it is very convenient.
All the instructions for installation and configuration are on my page, this very simple.

P.S. Oh.. sorry, I forgot that it was in Russian, but you can successfully replace Norton ?ommander to the english version.
lingm04
Tough
Tough

Post by lingm04 » 2009-01-22, 22:07

Antares wrote:Try my build DosBox, it is very convenient.
All the instructions for installation and configuration are on my page, this very simple.

P.S. Oh.. sorry, I forgot that it was in Russian, but you can successfully replace Norton ?ommander to the english version.

Even after translating the stuff i still don't understand whats going on here..........
BallWin
Major
Major

Post by BallWin » 2009-01-23, 22:19

lingm04 wrote:how do i access the game after all this when i exit the game? Do i have to type that mount stuff everytime?
Oh... I do not use DosBox since then when there were patches for XP... I.e. some years I do not use DosBox. :oops:
lil ' T informed correctly concerning it. With DosBox there is a configuration program.
However there is no reason to use DosBox today. The most simple and convenient way - to use the version of game for XP.
Example -- viewtopic.php?f=8&t=510
Original CD for installation is required to you only. Game runs well.
(Separate thanks Antares for development of this patch)
lil' T
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by lil' T » 2009-01-24, 00:01

lingm04 wrote:How do i do that? During the game on Dosbox the game is really laggy and slow, is there a newer version of DOSBOX which i can download to make it smoother and faster gameplay? thanks

And how do you skip the intro in the beginning with the two robots in the spacecraft?
Open the file I mentioned above in a text editor, e.g. Notepad, and add the respective lines at the very end of this file. Concerning the intro, simply press Esc to skip it. Alternatively, replace the video files of your Z CD with 0 byte dummy files. I think they are found in a folder named "CUTS".

Make sure you have the most recent version of DOSBox, which currently is 0.72. If you haven't altered the default DOSBox configuration file, Z should run very solid. Check whether the options 'core' and 'cycles' are both set to 'auto'. Otherwise, check if a different application heavily uses your CPU. Also, only use the original Z for DOS and not the modified version that is floating around the web, which was tweaked to work under Windows XP.
lingm04
Tough
Tough

Post by lingm04 » 2009-01-24, 04:25

Thanks. I have been looking but can't seem to find DOS BOX 0.72, do you know where i can find it(preferably in english)

Also when i type all the stuff under autoex it still makes me install the game everytime......