Post here about the new release of Z Steel Soldiers on Steam in 2014

Moderator: Brad

Bytrix
Tough
Tough
Are you a spam bot?: No

A few comparison screenshots

Postby Bytrix » 2014-07-25, 17:59

Hi guys, I'm one of the programmers working on Z Steel Soldiers (most recently updating shadowing which now looks pretty awesome if I do say so myself).

I'm going to check out these forums more often and will post information here too. Please excuse this copy and paste from the Steam discussions but I thought I'd share our comparison screenshots and a little bit of information:

There has been some confusion here in the discussions about this release of Z Steel Soldiers so we thought we'd grab a few screenshots from the game and list a few of the things that have changed.

This is NOT the original Steel Soldiers game re-released. We took the original game from the Bitmap Brothers, got it compiling and running on modern PCs then with the help of the Bitmap Brothers we've updated the game with modern visuals, and other updates. We've fixed bugs as we've been developing the game so we hope issues that were present in the original are no longer a problem in our game.

Here are six comparison screenshots to give you a taste of how our version compares to the original (released in 2001):

http://steamcommunity.com/app/275510/images/

- All in-game art assets are effectively the same but have vastly increased polygon counts, more detailed textures, and better animations.
- Robots and some other units have been slightly increased in size (but gameplay remains unaffected)
- Context menus have been replaced by a radial menu system.
- Shadow mapping allows all objects to cast shadows on to buildings, vehicles, and robots (particularly good in the forest levels or levels with lots of flying units).
- Improved particle effects.
- A new tutorial level now introduces the core controls and main game elements.
- Updates to the maps to aid path finding and unit AI.
- Added leaderboards and achievements.
- Added alternate controller and touch screen input modes.

We've spent quite some time in Z Steel Soldiers code so we've also optimized performance and improved many other parts of the game. We've enjoyed making it and enjoy playing it too so we hope the fans do when it's out and we appreciate any and all feedback you can give us :)
Senior Programmer
TickTock Games
http://ticktockgames.com
Zod
Admin General
Admin General

Re: A few comparison screenshots

Postby Zod » 2014-07-26, 21:01

Hi Bytrix (love your avatar!),
thanks for this important information. The screenshots really show the difference. Great work!
Best regards,
Zod
XStrategy
Major
Major

Postby XStrategy » 2014-08-04, 22:58

Bytrix

awesome work! Why did you guys remove comics between missions?

Do you plan to add skirmish (like playing VS Ai on normal big maps like in original Z without missions.. Fort vs Fort. Army vs Amry... ) also any plans for multiplayer?
Z and only Z1
Bytrix
Tough
Tough

Postby Bytrix » 2014-08-11, 13:58

XStrategy wrote:Bytrix

awesome work! Why did you guys remove comics between missions?

Do you plan to add skirmish (like playing VS Ai on normal big maps like in original Z without missions.. Fort vs Fort. Army vs Amry... ) also any plans for multiplayer?
We only had the movies missing on launch as they were causing crashes for some players. We added them back in a few days after launch though :).

We are also planning on re-adding the skirmish and multiplayer modes too. Some things didn't port very easily from the original source code with regards to those modes so we're working on cleaning them up and plan to keep the game updated to fix bugs and add new features.
Senior Programmer
TickTock Games
http://ticktockgames.com
XStrategy
Major
Major

Postby XStrategy » 2014-08-11, 21:16

Thank you Bytrix! I think Skirmish + AI level difficulty setting will help!
Z and only Z1