Moderator: Brad

city slicker
Pyro
Pyro
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by city slicker » 2019-06-13, 11:27

thanx!
i havent played z95 for over a year because i dont have xp anymore, but i think just clicking rmb will do the previous select, while dragging rmb will do the faster travel.
also i think 3 tough instead of 2 is better among the other z95 small balance differencies.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-06-18, 19:17

Toughs behave quite differently in terms of accuracy & rate of fire in Z, Z95 and ZED.
Currently, it seems balanced to me. Increasing the number of Toughs from 2 to 3 might result in Toughs being stronger than Pyros.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-06-20, 21:48

Just a tiny update on the last topic
DaMarkov wrote:
2019-06-12, 05:41
city slicker wrote:
2019-06-11, 21:42
robots dont automatically get in a vehicle/gun or take grenades when passing by
I will have a look and see how complicated it is to fix that. The next version is almost feature complete, so the fix might not make it into the next version if it's too complicated to fix.
In the next version robots will auto-grab grenade boxed, flags, vehicles and cannons also when moving. I am still doing some optimizations.
Sometimes there are some minor glitches when a robots group has to many options, but it's quite an improvement in the current development build. So it will be part of version 0.2.
DaMarkov wrote:
2019-06-13, 09:58
city slicker wrote:
2019-06-12, 12:54
when you right click in z95 it shows yuo the last order you gave and auto select the unit that this order is given. f.e. if i sent pyros to grab a flag and i want to change that i right click and now pyros are again selected and their route is showing on the field so i can make them do something else without having to find them and left click them. its very usefull, too.
here's my video of last map of z95

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niby9WQ-pqQ&t=253s

i select a medium tank at 2:59 give it an order and then i right click and give it a new order (great band btw...) to attack the gun
Interesting ... might need to implement another hotkey for that. When using zod or starcraft control there is of course no point for that feature since the unit would be still selected after giving a command. In classic controls the right mouse button is already used to scroll the screen. So maybe the middle mouse button could be used for that.
By the way, fantastic video!! I game is really fast. I plan to re-enable quicker game speeds at a later stage. I have been working on replays, so I first want to have one fixed game speed in order to make it easier for me. Later on it might be useful to have different speeds like normal, fast, fastest or so.
This will not make it into the next version. In the future I might implement something in that fashion. Or something like a "tab key" to switch between the last two selected groups.
city slicker
Pyro
Pyro

Post by city slicker » 2019-06-20, 23:04

great news! i also wanna say that i couldnt play a local multiplayer yesterday. is this common issue or our pc's have something to do with this? when a player hit the join tab the game crashes.
i just remember that in z95 and z you could give orders through the map. its handy sometimes!
city slicker
Pyro
Pyro

Post by city slicker » 2019-06-21, 02:07

a new one. in some maps f.e. map 30 vehicles can drive to islands surrounded by a small amount of water.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-06-21, 13:24

city slicker wrote:
2019-06-20, 23:04
great news! i also wanna say that i couldnt play a local multiplayer yesterday. is this common issue or our pc's have something to do with this? when a player hit the join tab the game crashes.
Shit, it's bug that I produced in version 0.1.6. Older version should work, will be fixed in the upcoming version.

city slicker wrote:
2019-06-21, 02:07
a new one. in some maps f.e. map 30 vehicles can drive to islands surrounded by a small amount of water.
Do you have a list of maps where this occurs? I have to fix it one by one for each map separately.
city slicker
Pyro
Pyro

Post by city slicker » 2019-06-21, 14:45

also in level 15 the small island on the right of enemy's fort.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-06-21, 16:30

city slicker wrote:
2019-06-21, 14:45
also in level 15 the small island on the right of enemy's fort.
Thanks!! For reference: fixed in commit 1517d0 https://sourceforge.net/p/zedonline/cod ... c4b06d7c0/
city slicker
Pyro
Pyro

Post by city slicker » 2019-06-22, 00:37

that was fast!
nice touch of adding the old maps in the new release! idk if youre aware but there were some xtra weird maps, ten or so in z95 as well!
also i think the game speed is a very vital part of the game. i play now completely different than z95 with high speed. the balance beetwen units have changed a lot and i cant run to the enemy's building with a team of soldiers like i used to despite the fort having 2 howitzer pointing at my soldiers. its harder now to steal the victory. in z95 when i gave an order to take a flag or get inside the enemy's building, units and especially soldiers use to have an extra boost and run faster. finally i havent seen any mo missile vehicle and gun but im sure youre planning to add in the future.
i hope im not busting your chops with all my suggestions!
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-06-22, 13:59

city slicker wrote:
2019-06-22, 00:37
nice touch of adding the old maps in the new release! idk if youre aware but there were some xtra weird maps, ten or so in z95 as well!
I am only aware of the 15 single player and 10 multiplayer maps of Z95, which should be all included in the folder 'maps\singleplayer_expansion' and 'maps\multiplayer_expansion'.
city slicker wrote:
also i think the game speed is a very vital part of the game. i play now completely different than z95 with high speed.
I agree I will give the implementation of higher game speed a higher priority.
city slicker wrote:
the balance beetwen units have changed a lot and i cant run to the enemy's building with a team of soldiers like i used to despite the fort having 2 howitzer pointing at my soldiers.
The balance in zod engine is indeed different then in Z DOS and Z95. I think the best cause of action would be to wait until we have something like an online ladder and then analyze how the top players play a see if one tactic is dominant, if some units are over-utilized and some units now used at all and balance the game accordingly. One should also keep in mind that Z was balanced for single player and not for multiplayer.
city slicker wrote:
its harder now to steal the victory. in z95 when i gave an order to take a flag or get inside the enemy's building, units and especially soldiers use to have an extra boost and run faster. finally i havent seen any mo missile vehicle and gun but im sure youre planning to add in the future.
The is a run mechanic. Every unit has a 'stamina' value and a 'stamina recover' value. As long as the stamina value is positive units can run (in certain situation).
I am not sure what these certain situations are. I am sure they can run when trying to get to a flag. Maybe they can't run when trying to enter a fort, I would have to look into the code for that.

mo missile vehicle is included. The AI just uses it rarely.
city slicker wrote:
i hope im not busting your chops with all my suggestions!
Absolutely not, keep the suggestions coming. It's great the see the point of view of different players since there is quite a variety of play styles.
This forum also has a Slack channel, that's also a good why to send suggestions or discuss the game with other members.
city slicker
Pyro
Pyro

Post by city slicker » 2019-06-22, 15:48

youre right about mo missiles. somehow i didnt see them...
youre right again about xtra z95 maps. i was sure there were on my original z95 cd but then i saw this: https://zzone.lewe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=586 and remembered that i played the 1,7 beta version until recently...
i have read long ago that the stars units have on z95 where suppozed to be veteran stars but the idea never made it so it only remain visually. idk if its a good idea for z to have veteran units who gain xp over enemy's kills since all units are just expendable. it might have a meaning in vehicles since we can repair them but then the micromanagment needed is far from z's quick gameplay. Also ill say again that giving orders from the map can be very usefull and very hard if the enemy take your radar, because its faster and the cursor change to attack or grab if you run across enemies or flags in map! idk about multiplayer luck of balance in z95 though. me and my friend spent 5 years to play once a week z mp. since there are 27 2p maps the winner was the first to reach 14 maps wins. we almost always finnish a game on 14-10 or higher, many many times on 14-13 10 or less times on 14-5 (still once i lost 14-2...) and i ended up lost 100-97 despite the fact that i was 92-86 ahead (those 14-13 hurt me in the end). The real problem was that we play so identically that if one was lucky with f.e. an early medium-medium battle he was having the upper hand. still we had a lot of fort break-ins, very frustrating cause normally that was a desperate move from the player who couldnt do anything else but it is a good thing cause you have to keep an eye evrywhere everytime!
pheww that i think sums up the things i wanted to share about z in the last 2 decades so thank you for the effort!!!!!!

just found out another island glitch, lvl 32 the small ones with the mo missile guns
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-06-28, 16:27

city slicker wrote:
2019-06-22, 15:48
just found out another island glitch, lvl 32 the small ones with the mo missile guns
Fixed in the upcoming version.

Thanks for sharing your experience! It's great to have someone here at the forum with that amount of multiplayer experience of the original Z!!
Janey
Grunt
Grunt

Post by Janey » 2019-07-02, 08:26

I appear unable to download version 0.2 properly, as it fails extracting each time.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-07-03, 02:11

Janey wrote:
2019-07-02, 08:26
I appear unable to download version 0.2 properly, as it fails extracting each time.
Please use version 0.1.6 for the time being from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/zedonl ... /releases/

Version 0.2 is currently in Beta and unstable. I am also not sure why the Beta build is on this website and the more stable version 0.1.6 is gone ...
Version 0.2 should be ready in a week or so.
Janey
Grunt
Grunt

Post by Janey » 2019-07-03, 02:22

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-07-03, 02:11
Janey wrote:
2019-07-02, 08:26
Please use version 0.1.6 for the time being from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/zedonl ... /releases/

Version 0.2 is currently in Beta and unstable. I am also not sure why the Beta build is on this website and the more stable version 0.1.6 is gone ...
Version 0.2 should be ready in a week or so.
I've been attempting to use version 0.1.6, but it either freezes when I try to host a game or the friend I'm trying to play with instantly crashes when he joins me.