Post here about the Z remake "Zed Online" by DaMarkov

Moderator: Brad

DaMarkov
Captain
Captain
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-19, 18:57

Hi, the resolution is currently fixed because the Zod engine has some problems with high resolutions.
If the resolution in the Zod engine is increased you are able to see "more" but everything becomes smaller and there is a glitch with the HUD on the right hand side.
Furthermore, it's a bit difficult to develop something that works for both software and OpenGl renderer.

That's the reason the resolution is right now fixed to 640x480.

For version 0.1.2 there will be a widescreen mode which will already mitigate this issue. Later on I think I have to work on some kind of zoom feature in order to run the Zod engine at 1080p and still be able to click on objects.

By backgrounds do you mean the background in the menu or the end screen? In either case, if someone makes something I would be happy to include it (I am a terrible artist) :-)

The additional options are all in the options menu. For the hotkeys just click on the "configure hotkeys" button.

As for the version number, I use the format 0.X.Y. I increase X when something major changes (like new netcode). For minor updates I increase Y.
The aim is to push out a new version every two weeks.

So, 0.1.2 is schedule in two weeks. New features will be improved controls (mostly for classic controls), cutscenes (probably only in English for 0.1.2), widescreen support and LAN support.
For 0.1.3 is will try to have UPnP support ready, the HUD in different languages, chat and a preview version of the map editor ready.
0.1.4 will then include user account, but we will what happens.
DemonRed
Grunt
Grunt

Post by DemonRed » 2019-01-19, 19:16

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-01-19, 18:57
Hi, the resolution is currently fixed because the Zod engine has some problems with high resolutions.
If the resolution in the Zod engine is increased you are able to see "more" but everything becomes smaller and there is a glitch with the HUD on the right hand side.
Furthermore, it's a bit difficult to develop something that works for both software and OpenGl renderer.

That's the reason the resolution is right now fixed to 640x480.

For version 0.1.2 there will be a widescreen mode which will already mitigate this issue. Later on I think I have to work on some kind of zoom feature in order to run the Zod engine at 1080p and still be able to click on objects.

By backgrounds do you mean the background in the menu or the end screen? In either case, if someone makes something I would be happy to include it (I am a terrible artist) :-)

The additional options are all in the options menu. For the hotkeys just click on the "configure hotkeys" button.

As for the version number, I use the format 0.X.Y. I increase X when something major changes (like new netcode). For minor updates I increase Y.
The aim is to push out a new version every two weeks.

So, 0.1.2 is schedule in two weeks. New features will be improved controls (mostly for classic controls), cutscenes (probably only in English for 0.1.2), widescreen support and LAN support.
For 0.1.3 is will try to have UPnP support ready, the HUD in different languages, chat and a preview version of the map editor ready.
0.1.4 will then include user account, but we will what happens.
Thx you for answer, yes i found finally that additional options so my mistake :D

About backgrounds: i mean would be good to have it in you'r main menu, and everywhere where you use at the moment gradient. (Sadly i didnt remember how looks original main menu on Z Dos Version, but would be good to make it in original style, or at least for first time use some ingame pictures, or screens from cutscenes).
Update: Found picture how was original Main Menu looks, attached to post.

And one suggestion, i see in some topics ppls write that too, so. Would be good to see some option to choose Difficulty: Easy, Normal, Hard, Master. Anyway anything else looks fine, will be waiting for new patches, keep up!
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-20, 06:24

DemonRed wrote:
2019-01-19, 19:16
About backgrounds: i mean would be good to have it in you'r main menu, and everywhere where you use at the moment gradient. (Sadly i didnt remember how looks original main menu on Z Dos Version, but would be good to make it in original style, or at least for first time use some ingame pictures, or screens from cutscenes).
Update: Found picture how was original Main Menu looks, attached to post.
Thanks for the post. Switching to the original background would be cool I agree. I used the tool that ballwin suggested to me to extract the assets of Z DOS and it worked but not for the user interface and things like the loading screen. Maybe the files use a different palette or are just stored differently. Also, I don't know how good the old background would look. I imagine it's a 640x480 bitmap if one views it on a 1080p screen it might look blurry and there is again the problem then screen are now mostly 16:9 and not 4:3 anymore.
I have to find some artist who could make new background in the style of the old Z DOS interface.

By the way the ZED Online user interface is just a webpage, so anyone can make changes quite easily.
See: https://sourceforge.net/p/zedonline/cod ... index.html
(or write a complete new user interface)

I will keep thinking about the AI difficulty, but before that I decided that I will put more effort into having a "high resolution mode" due to your suggestion. Last night I had the idea to first do it only for the OpenGL renderer (it would be quite slow to do it in software anyway).

I have an off-topic question to ballwin and people who know about the Z DOS assets:
In the original game the jeep has different "texture" depending on which planet one plays. The Zod engine only has the assets for "city jeep" and I now know the reason.
When one uses the extraction tool I can only extract the city jeep and a bunch of animations for the shadow. Does anyone know how Z DOS handles the different jeeps?
Are these pallet swaps (I doubt it)? Are the other jeeps stored as the difference to the city jeep? Are they hard-coded??
Then plan B for me is to redo the graphics in paint by taking screenshots from the original game, but I don't really wanna do this unless it is necessary.
BallWin
General
General

Post by BallWin » 2019-01-20, 11:57

I am unable to answer this question at this time. I'll look for the answer.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-20, 15:33

I found this from Meeky in viewtopic.php?f=5&t=612 in 2010:

"Each unit has slightly varying tint to account for each of 5 available terrains plus a team coloring scheme. Both kinds of picture modifications are applied through use of 256-color palette. The applied color is not solid, but can have up to 16 shades of that color.
I'd also like to apply color on the fly, but so far I didn't come up with the answer as to how to do that."

Is it true that ALL units look different on all 5 planets? I have never noticed this in the last 20 years ...
BallWin
General
General

Post by BallWin » 2019-01-20, 18:18

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-01-20, 15:33
Is it true that ALL units look different on all 5 planets? I have never noticed this in the last 20 years ...
ImageImageImageImageImage
Arctic textures are different.
SteelGhost
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SteelGhost » 2019-01-20, 19:44

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11253
SteelGhost wrote:
2018-03-20, 21:36
I noticed something I haven't really paid attention to before.

In the original Z PC version, vehicles actually had a unique camo colour scheme for each planet.
Desert - Olive
Volcanic - Dark green
Arctic - Silver
Jungle - Green
City - Gray

I wish Zod Engine had that feature, as right now the vehicles only have a dull gray colour scheme.
Another thought
Would you prefer using the unit stats setup from Z DOS or Z95? Zod engine seems to use a mix of both, since Tough unit is still two robots but Howitzer has better armour.

In my opinion, DOS had it way more balanced. I don't see why the heavy vehicles needed an armour nerf, when they were already crippled by slow speed and fire rate... or who thought the Missile Gun should fire at the same rate as a Light Tank? This version seems to favour the cheap, fast & spammable units, which reminds me of C&C by the way...

However, the original Missile Gun could've been better, since it was so expensive to build, had only average armour, and the missiles were so slow that it could be defeated by a Light Tank. Maybe make its missiles a bit faster or up its durability.
Image Z Wiki - Contribute now!
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-21, 08:33

SteelGhost wrote:
2019-01-20, 19:44
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11253
SteelGhost wrote:
2018-03-20, 21:36
I noticed something I haven't really paid attention to before.

In the original Z PC version, vehicles actually had a unique camo colour scheme for each planet.
Desert - Olive
Volcanic - Dark green
Arctic - Silver
Jungle - Green
City - Gray

I wish Zod Engine had that feature, as right now the vehicles only have a dull gray colour scheme.
Another thought
Would you prefer using the unit stats setup from Z DOS or Z95? Zod engine seems to use a mix of both, since Tough unit is still two robots but Howitzer has better armour.

In my opinion, DOS had it way more balanced. I don't see why the heavy vehicles needed an armour nerf, when they were already crippled by slow speed and fire rate... or who thought the Missile Gun should fire at the same rate as a Light Tank? This version seems to favour the cheap, fast & spammable units, which reminds me of C&C by the way...

However, the original Missile Gun could've been better, since it was so expensive to build, had only average armour, and the missiles were so slow that it could be defeated by a Light Tank. Maybe make its missiles a bit faster or up its durability.
Thanks SteelGhost, I had seen your post a while back, but couldn't find the exact thread anymore. Now that I see at up close it really looks like a palette swap.
I am still unsure what's the best way to recover all animation for all palettes is...

I agree I prefer the balance of Z DOS. The Zod engine is too different from Z DOS to just copy&paste all the stats. We need to fine-tune all the stats to have the same behaviour as in Z DOS.
Pyro are really strong in Zod for example. One unit of 4 pyros can take out a medium tank 70% of the time.
So my approach is to modify the units until it matches the old Z. For example ballwin mentioned the interaction between Medium and Howitzer is wrong. I compared this to the 6GB of old YouTube video and then modify the game.

I am also confused why the Missile gun is only a few second more expensive than the Howitzer. The missile gun is really powerful (not against heavy and mobile rockets), but I can take out 5 medium tanks without problems.

You mean the mobile rocket got an armor nerf right? I was also puzzled by this, I will change it back to have full health in the next ZED Online version.

Are the build times of the Zod engine correct? And did anyone every compare if it scales correctly the the amount of flags a player has?
APC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by APC » 2019-01-21, 09:49

I like the balance of ZOD Engine very much. (I played Z_DOS in my teens, Z_Expansion in my twenties). For multiplayer the ZOD Engine is clear winner.
Pyros were weak - compare pyros and lasers to tough and you will always produce toughs. The are universal. In ZOD engine pyros are bit more useful, but always inferior to toughs (effect/production time).
Missile gun - you need 5 star factory, missile launcher overranges it and destroys it without damage taken. Howitzer can defend against everything and you can build it in 3 stars factory. The comparable production time is adequate.

Problem the Medium tank can shot howitzer is only in singleplayer. Because AI is stupid and doesn't defend valuable equipment - and also AIs attacks are one-by-one and not coordinated. Defend howitzer by one though unit and you can wipe-out medium+light tank. Two howitzers defended by 3 toughs can defend serious offensive (including Heavy or also mobile rocket launcher).

In ZOD Engine the light and medium tanks ara useable also in latest levels, but you will switch to Heavy and MRLs when strong enough. To have more firepower on smaller area - good for offensive, and to have less units to control. Light/mediums/APCs are for defending loosers - as in reality. Last resort weapons. Germans during WWII produced much more Pz4 and hetzers as Tigers. Because lack of material, industrial capacity, etc.. It matches reality.
If you cripple statistics of low-end units, you can give there feature - "automatically produce only hi-tech units". The low-end units will just waste space in the production list.
Imagine the stats of jeep would be multiplied by 1.5 factor. Would you produce it in levels against heavies, lasers and MLRs?

About the difficult levels. The AI shouldn't be crippled. It is a shame to play against stupid AI. There could be made sets of maps "easy maps", where manned guns would be added to the red player on the border positions, or empty medium tanks near fort.

Question - damaged fort isn't possible to repair?
Maps where autorebulid feature is switched on - it makes in regular intervals? Shouldn't have each bridge/factory internal counter and being autorepaired eg 2 minutes since moment of explosion?

Factories (aslo remaining units?) change ownership to the conqueror of the fort. I don't like this feature - please make it optional, and for default not there. In multiplayer games it would be disaster. Imagine strong player capable to conquer enemy fort, in one moment the balance of power would be changed too drastic. Gameplay not interesting since that moment. The solution of exploding everything and the need to reconquer and repair it was much better (in my opinion).

DaMarkov - I tried the ZED Online in singleplayer with ZOD Engine control system - and I wasn't able to set waypoint from factory.
Please make there 1024x768 resolution as default - it was the most common resolution in all old computers. (Or at least make it 800x600).
Please read unit_stats from external txt file (as in ZOD Engine) for the players of singleplayer to adjust it to his/her own taste easily.

Excelent work - really better feeling to win SP level in your game as in ZOD Engine where none screen between levels appears.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-21, 14:31

Great post! I agree the balance of the Zod engine is for the most part actually better.
I see we really have the same opinion about the balance.

APC wrote:
2019-01-21, 09:49
About the difficult levels. The AI shouldn't be crippled. It is a shame to play against stupid AI. There could be made sets of maps "easy maps", where manned guns would be added to the red player on the border positions, or empty medium tanks near fort.
I agree. With the level editor coming hopefully soon, maybe someone will make even a new easier campaign. A level can change a lot just by placing new equipment and changing the starting units.

APC wrote:
Question - damaged fort isn't possible to repair?
Maps where autorebulid feature is switched on - it makes in regular intervals? Shouldn't have each bridge/factory internal counter and being autorepaired eg 2 minutes since moment of explosion?
When I introduce the new level format the autorepair feature can be enabled and disabled for each building/bridge separably.
So everything should be in the hands of the map maker.
APC wrote:
Factories (aslo remaining units?) change ownership to the conqueror of the fort. I don't like this feature - please make it optional, and for default not there. In multiplayer games it would be disaster. Imagine strong player capable to conquer enemy fort, in one moment the balance of power would be changed too drastic. Gameplay not interesting since that moment. The solution of exploding everything and the need to reconquer and repair it was much better (in my opinion).
I don't agree (this is the only thing where we disagree ^^). First, to conquer the fort without destroying all the units beforehand is quite rare. Secondly, the player who attacked should get something in return, because he most likely lost quite a few units when he conquered the fort.
Letting all buildings explode is problematic, because on some maps there are no cranes. Also a player who disconnects would automatically lose and all his buildings would exploded. It's better if they just become neutral.
I had a situation on the 4 player desert expansion map, where two players where destroyed and I had to fight against one player, but 30% of all the buildings where destroyed. It wasn't fun (can't build cranes on this map).
But the main point is: If you are in a 3 player map and player A attack player B and is about to conquer him, then player C should have attacked player A at the very moment he attacked player B otherwise it is player's C own fault. One a larger maps one has to sometimes work together and attack the strongest player before he becomes to strong.
APC wrote:
DaMarkov - I tried the ZED Online in singleplayer with ZOD Engine control system - and I wasn't able to set waypoint from factory.
Yes, I am so sorry :-(
I messed this up in 0.1.1. Rally points are completely broken (this happend because I fixed the movement on bridges).
Rally point will be fixed in 0.1.2 and you will also be able to set them in classic control style.
Adding waypoints in starcraft control will also be fixed (so far no one has noticed the bug it seems ^^)
APC wrote:
Please make there 1024x768 resolution as default - it was the most common resolution in all old computers. (Or at least make it 800x600).
Worked on this yesterday. The new zoom feature I did looks promising.
By the way, why do you all play in this high resolution. In the Zod engine things become quite tiny.
Do want to have a high resolution mode the see more or do you want a high resolution mode for improved picture quality?
APC wrote:
Please read unit_stats from external txt file (as in ZOD Engine) for the players of singleplayer to adjust it to his/her own taste easily.
Fantastic idea! And very easy to do, I will do this on 0.1.2. It's not planed in my roadmap, but I don't care. This only takes 1h to code and I you want this feature, you get it.
The behavior will be: If there is a .txt file next to the .exe AND you play in single player then the file will be used for the unit stats.
Side note: I want people to be able to share their best times they got in single player. Have a online ranking and so on.
People who play with the unit stats file will be EXCLUDED from the ranking.
I will also not count any statistics since I have plans for that down the road.
APC wrote:
Excelent work - really better feeling to win SP level in your game as in ZOD Engine where none screen between levels appears.
Thanks a lot :-) A also really like it. I had the view this at least 50 times to get the transition right ^^
In 0.1.2 with cutscenes it will even better when you lose. I always like to get screamed at ^^
By the way, I don't have the sound files for all cutscenes in all 5 languages. So the players who don't play in English:
If you lose you will always see the same cutscene. English players get one of the 3 randomly.

EDIT: here it the commit for the unit_stats.txt file https://sourceforge.net/p/zedonline/cod ... a09d6bd0b/
1h was a good estimate, it took me 50m 8)
APC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by APC » 2019-01-21, 17:33

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-01-21, 14:31
When I introduce the new level format the autorepair feature can be enabled and disabled for each building/bridge separably.
Smart solution, but it also complicates things a bit. Will there be some indication which factory is "autorepairable"? Players were used to all factories working in the same manner. Now player must know or study map more complex.
DaMarkov wrote:
First, to conquer the fort without destroying all the units beforehand is quite rare. Secondly, the player who attacked should get something in return, because he most likely lost quite a few units when he conquered the fort.
Letting all buildings explode is problematic, because on some maps there are no cranes. Also a player who disconnects would automatically lose and all his buildings would exploded. It's better if they just become neutral.
It is quite common against AI of nowadays Zod Engine to occupy his fort when 4-5 territories are still in bot's hands. AI defends fort in the same manner as common territory - zero defence, only initial artillery. The reward for taking fort of almost defeated faction is eliminating threat in your up-country. Now strong player will eliminates nearest bot (or weak player) attacking directly his fort not bothering to conquer territiories one by one. Making it in ZOD Engine would be contraproductive for him.

In MP games with 4 or more players it is element of fun, when it is more economic for strong players to fight against strong players and not to finish weak opponent digged only in their fort-territory. Supressed players can enjoy gameplay till end of combat and make sorties to neighbourhood territories when stronger players are focused on main battles between them. Otherwise they just need to sit and wait.Inflicting unnecessary casualties to strong player during fight near fort is fun and can influence the result of battle. It forces strong players to let survive weak players longer.
Your elimination of cranes to Z_DOS form brings consequences. I liked the Zod engine solution about cranes and about neutralization and devastation of territories of eliminated players.
Please reconsider it in the future once again.
DaMarkov wrote:
By the way, why do you all play in this high resolution. In the Zod engine things become quite tiny.
Do want to have a high resolution mode the see more or do you want a high resolution mode for improved picture quality?
At home I play on laptop with small display. The 1024x768 is the highest resolution where I can select units, change production, recognize units and enjoy animations in acceptable way. In factory I have big external monitor with 1920x1080, but I would play there maximum 1280x1024 or 1280x720. Higher resolutions as 1024x768 are not needed. The original sprites would be ants on higher resolutions.
The main thing in strategic game is to see as much of battlefield as possible. To see tiny sneak attacks and especially during battles on two fronts you need to see initial seconds of enemy offensive. Checking it on 640x480 and using minimap is work and frustration - not fun.
DaMarkov wrote:
People who play with the unit stats file will be EXCLUDED from the ranking.
No problem on my side. Always better as being forced to mod the units-stats using HexEditor or compiling source code.
APC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by APC » 2019-01-21, 18:14

I suggest also another improvement compared to Z_DOS.
Auto-cancel production in factories when flag changed owner.

The good player always makes it, but he needs to waste focus on this. Weak player forgets it or is not fast enough in interface. Then he is tripple punished. He lost territory (global production increment and factory), he lost half-manufactured unit, his opponent reached half-manufactured unit. Two setbacks in one moment are enough. Also all stored artillery should be set to zero in such a case.
Computer should make boring staff for player. Or it could be at least optional somewhere in the menu - but most battles will played using default setting.

Was you thinking also on experience system from Z_DOS? White star, green star and gold star - which increased manuerability of veteran unit during combat. But it was possible being promoted also for distant battles (without shot fired by promoted unit). I don't need it. Now every unit of its type has the same abbilities and I like it.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-21, 23:05

APC wrote:
2019-01-21, 18:14
I suggest also another improvement compared to Z_DOS.
Auto-cancel production in factories when flag changed owner.

The good player always makes it, but he needs to waste focus on this. Weak player forgets it or is not fast enough in interface. Then he is tripple punished. He lost territory (global production increment and factory), he lost half-manufactured unit, his opponent reached half-manufactured unit. Two setbacks in one moment are enough. Also all stored artillery should be set to zero in such a case.
Computer should make boring staff for player. Or it could be at least optional somewhere in the menu - but most battles will played using default setting.
On the other hand, this differentiates the average from the professional player. By the way I would not cancel, but cancel and switch to a gattling or something useless and hope the opponent doesn't notice (he notices way easier when the production is canceled).

Exactly this situation was the main reason why I introduced a hotkey for cancelling. Now, you only have to click on the building and press C on the keyboard.

I mean it all depends what kind of skill gap we want ...
I definitely want the more "skilled" player to have an advantage. It should not be as extreme as in Starcraft where on needs 100 APM just to pull of some strategies,
but I believe a player who is on top of unit production and good in microing a tank should have an advantage over an amateur player.
The contradiction to my point are rally points. If I forbid rally points the skill gap would increase, but I think most of you would prefer to have a game with rally points.

I had another idea planned called "default units". In the options menu every player could set his unit preference.
When the game starts (and when one captures a neutral flag) the production is automatically set to the player's preference.
The reason I wanted to program this is when I was (years ago) playing Z95 in multiplayer I started with about 5 buildings and it took really long to set the production and give commands to all starting units. At that time I found this unfair, because the player who is better at "pressing the tiny arrow keys" has an advantage.
Maybe a feature like this is not necessary anymore since now it is just 1 mouse click and 2 keyboard presses.
What do you think? Would you like/use a feature like this?
APC wrote:
2019-01-21, 18:14
Was you thinking also on experience system from Z_DOS? White star, green star and gold star - which increased manuerability of veteran unit during combat. But it was possible being promoted also for distant battles (without shot fired by promoted unit). I don't need it. Now every unit of its type has the same abbilities and I like it.
Did the stars change the abilities of the units? I thought it just indicated in how many battles the unit has been.
If people want I can put a little star icon next to the unit name, but I won't change the abilities (unless someone gives me a good reason to do so).
If anything the player who lost should get an advantage. The player who won the battle already has an advantage: he won the battle.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-21, 23:27

APC wrote:
2019-01-21, 17:33
DaMarkov wrote:
Smart solution, but it also complicates things a bit. Will there be some indication which factory is "autorepairable"? Players were used to all factories working in the same manner. Now player must know or study map more complex.
You are right there has to be some kind of indication.
Most of the time either all buildings will have auto-repair enabled or all will have auto-repair disabled.

What do you think of the following:
The map maker creates the map an uploads them to the gateway. Players who want to play on the map can download the map.
Before the download starts they can see an image of the map/name of the map/name of the creator and a description.
The creator can then include a tiny sentence like in the description. Like "all buildings auto-repair" or "beware, the bridge in the middle auto-repairs".

An indication in-game should also be there.
APC wrote:
DaMarkov wrote:
First, to conquer the fort without destroying all the units beforehand is quite rare. Secondly, the player who attacked should get something in return, because he most likely lost quite a few units when he conquered the fort.
It is quite common against AI of nowadays Zod Engine to occupy his fort when 4-5 territories are still in bot's hands. AI defends fort in the same manner as common territory - zero defence, only initial artillery. The reward for taking fort of almost defeated faction is eliminating threat in your up-country. Now strong player will eliminates nearest bot (or weak player) attacking directly his fort not bothering to conquer territiories one by one. Making it in ZOD Engine would be contraproductive for him.

In MP games with 4 or more players it is element of fun, when it is more economic for strong players to fight against strong players and not to finish weak opponent digged only in their fort-territory. Supressed players can enjoy gameplay till end of combat and make sorties to neighbourhood territories when stronger players are focused on main battles between them. Otherwise they just need to sit and wait.Inflicting unnecessary casualties to strong player during fight near fort is fun and can influence the result of battle. It forces strong players to let survive weak players longer.
Your elimination of cranes to Z_DOS form brings consequences. I liked the Zod engine solution about cranes and about neutralization and devastation of territories of eliminated players.
Please reconsider it in the future once again.
I will think about it. I actually like the strategy of attacking the fort directly. It's a high risk - high reward strategy.
Usually this strategy shouldn't work. If you start with a medium tank and a few robots and the enemy fort has about 2 howitzers - there might be a 1% change to pull this off.

I will think about it, I need to see more videos how players actually play to make better decisions.
So much coding to do... :-)
APC wrote:
DaMarkov wrote:
At home I play on laptop with small display. The 1024x768 is the highest resolution where I can select units, change production, recognize units and enjoy animations in acceptable way. In factory I have big external monitor with 1920x1080, but I would play there maximum 1280x1024 or 1280x720. Higher resolutions as 1024x768 are not needed. The original sprites would be ants on higher resolutions.
The main thing in strategic game is to see as much of battlefield as possible. To see tiny sneak attacks and especially during battles on two fronts you need to see initial seconds of enemy offensive. Checking it on 640x480 and using minimap is work and frustration - not fun.
I see, so only to be able to see more. For that I don't need the zoom feature. I just need to fix the UI. Widescreen mode is already done, so only the vertical glitch is left.
This shouldn't be too hard, I will do it this week.
I am thinking of having an option resolution with options: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768. The actual resolution would also depend if one enables the widescreen mode since this already changes the resolution.
SteelGhost
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SteelGhost » 2019-01-22, 03:49

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-01-21, 08:33
I agree I prefer the balance of Z DOS. The Zod engine is too different from Z DOS to just copy&paste all the stats. We need to fine-tune all the stats to have the same behaviour as in Z DOS.
Pyro are really strong in Zod for example. One unit of 4 pyros can take out a medium tank 70% of the time.
The problem with Pyros is that their weapon is now a hardcoded hitscan attack that tanks can't dodge.

Zod Engine seems to have ignored how some of the damage mechanics work in Z. For example, Z used damage/armour modifiers to improve the balance between units.
  • Bullets (Grunt, Psychos, Jeep, Gatling) deal only like 1/10 damage to vehicles/guns, so these units were weak against enclosed vehicles
  • Sniper's bullets deal equal damage to all units, so they could cause quite a lot of damage to Light Tanks. Same applies to Pyros & Laser
  • Pyro's flames did not inflict direct damage, but causes splash damage in a tiny area that is set on fire

I did some experimenting in DOS Z, calculating the approximate health & damage values of each unit, and updated the unit pages on Z Wiki to show these values instead of the generic 1-10 scale rating from the manual.
Image Z Wiki - Contribute now!