Moderator: Brad

APC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by APC » 2019-01-22, 18:50

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-01-21, 23:05
On the other hand, this differentiates the average from the professional player. By the way I would not cancel, but cancel and switch to a gattling or something useless and hope the opponent doesn't notice (he notices way easier when the production is canceled).
OK. We prefer different goals. You prefer to differentiate players skilled/unskilled in game interface. I prefer to help players to get rid of all semi-automatic staff and focus on pure strategy. Production of most effective units against opposing forces, deploy units on right places against opposing force, retreat from stronger force, creating of overhelming local firepower, repairing of damaged units and fast distribution back to the frontline. Here I suggest also waypoint for repair facility.
DaMarkov wrote:
I had another idea planned called "default units". In the options menu every player could set his unit preference.
For sure I would welcome and use this feature. It reduces that annoing "semi-automatic" staff which I am talking about.

DaMarkov wrote:
Did the stars change the abilities of the units? I thought it just indicated in how many battles the unit has been.
I am absolutely sure the gold-star tank won the battle against white-star tank in similar conditions with around 50% health left (in Z_DOS). Because of faster and more persistent avoiding of shots.

Autorepair bridges/factories. There will be indication, it is good enough for me.

Capturing enemy fort - the buildings will change ownership. The half-produced units will be cancelled? I hope the existing defeated army will explode and it will not change ownership.
In every case you are capable to reprogramm everything. So after a year everything will be polished into perfection or few different rulesets will be avaliable.

SteelGhost - very nice wikia. Yes the armor calculation is completely avoided in Zod Engine. But in the simple damage calculation system the units are quite well balanced. I am courious only if splash damage deals the same amount of damage in whole circle (I guess yes) or the amount of splash damage suffered near epicentre of explosion is higher as near borders of splash-damage circle.
APC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by APC » 2019-01-22, 21:23

I suggest another minor improvement to original rules. Placed artillery should be able to fire first shot 3 seconds after deployment.

New manufactured robots and tanks are not in position to make ambush. They are in vulnerable position during leaving factory.
But stored and newly manufactured static atrillery pieces are used as ambush weapon. Completely illogical.

Players should be rewerded for logical solutions.
APC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by APC » 2019-01-23, 15:35

I experienced bug in Zod Engine. It was on Nighsoft server, 3 humas player game ... I think there is running original release of Zod Engine.

During game I produced few APCs and some of them were filled by toughs. I accidentaly hit Win key and thereafter I am not able to return into game. Using ALT+TAB I switched to console window and using CTRL+C I exit the game. I restarted the game and connected to my team. All APCs were filled with one healthy grunt. Also APCs where damaged toughts were before my leaving the game.

It seems in the communication between server-client about map and position of existing units - the is none information aboout robots in APCs. That variable seems to be only in some temporary placeholder.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-28, 10:49

SteelGhost wrote:
2019-01-22, 03:49
DaMarkov wrote:
2019-01-21, 08:33
I agree I prefer the balance of Z DOS. The Zod engine is too different from Z DOS to just copy&paste all the stats. We need to fine-tune all the stats to have the same behaviour as in Z DOS.
Pyro are really strong in Zod for example. One unit of 4 pyros can take out a medium tank 70% of the time.
The problem with Pyros is that their weapon is now a hardcoded hitscan attack that tanks can't dodge.

Zod Engine seems to have ignored how some of the damage mechanics work in Z. For example, Z used damage/armour modifiers to improve the balance between units.
  • Bullets (Grunt, Psychos, Jeep, Gatling) deal only like 1/10 damage to vehicles/guns, so these units were weak against enclosed vehicles
  • Sniper's bullets deal equal damage to all units, so they could cause quite a lot of damage to Light Tanks. Same applies to Pyros & Laser
  • Pyro's flames did not inflict direct damage, but causes splash damage in a tiny area that is set on fire

I did some experimenting in DOS Z, calculating the approximate health & damage values of each unit, and updated the unit pages on Z Wiki to show these values instead of the generic 1-10 scale rating from the manual.
Thank you for updating the wiki! And for clarifying how the damage types work!!

APC wrote:
2019-01-22, 18:50
DaMarkov wrote:
On the other hand, this differentiates the average from the professional player. By the way I would not cancel, but cancel and switch to a gattling or something useless and hope the opponent doesn't notice (he notices way easier when the production is canceled).
OK. We prefer different goals. You prefer to differentiate players skilled/unskilled in game interface. I prefer to help players to get rid of all semi-automatic staff and focus on pure strategy. Production of most effective units against opposing forces, deploy units on right places against opposing force, retreat from stronger force, creating of overhelming local firepower, repairing of damaged units and fast distribution back to the frontline. Here I suggest also waypoint for repair facility.
Good point on the repair facility. I will do something that requires less manual labor.
I actually think our goals are similar. It's just that some things I would label as more strategic that you might call maybe an inconvenience with the user-interface.
Automatically cancelling the production could be both. It's borderline strategic and borderline a user interface issue.
For now I will leave it as it is and wait for more opinions on this matter.
APC wrote:
DaMarkov wrote:
I had another idea planned called "default units". In the options menu every player could set his unit preference.
For sure I would welcome and use this feature. It reduces that annoing "semi-automatic" staff which I am talking about.
Perfect, then I will try to get this ready for version 0.1.3.
APC wrote:
DaMarkov wrote:
Did the stars change the abilities of the units? I thought it just indicated in how many battles the unit has been.
I am absolutely sure the gold-star tank won the battle against white-star tank in similar conditions with around 50% health left (in Z_DOS). Because of faster and more persistent avoiding of shots.
I actually didn't know about this. On the one hand this makes less expendable and repaired units more valuable which I like. But it might also be a too large of an advantage.
APC wrote:
SteelGhost - very nice wikia. Yes the armor calculation is completely avoided in Zod Engine. But in the simple damage calculation system the units are quite well balanced. I am courious only if splash damage deals the same amount of damage in whole circle (I guess yes) or the amount of splash damage suffered near epicentre of explosion is higher as near borders of splash-damage circle.
In Zod engine the damage dependents linearly on the distance between the unit and the bullet. The bullet only deals full damage if it's a pixel-perfect hit.

APC wrote:
2019-01-22, 21:23
I suggest another minor improvement to original rules. Placed artillery should be able to fire first shot 3 seconds after deployment.

New manufactured robots and tanks are not in position to make ambush. They are in vulnerable position during leaving factory.
But stored and newly manufactured static atrillery pieces are used as ambush weapon. Completely illogical.
Great catch. I still think when placing a howitzer against another howitzer the new gun should be able to fire one single shot.
I will experiment with this. Maybe 1 second is enough.

APC wrote:
2019-01-23, 15:35
I experienced bug in Zod Engine. It was on Nighsoft server, 3 humas player game ... I think there is running original release of Zod Engine.

During game I produced few APCs and some of them were filled by toughs. I accidentaly hit Win key and thereafter I am not able to return into game. Using ALT+TAB I switched to console window and using CTRL+C I exit the game. I restarted the game and connected to my team. All APCs were filled with one healthy grunt. Also APCs where damaged toughts were before my leaving the game.

It seems in the communication between server-client about map and position of existing units - the is none information aboout robots in APCs. That variable seems to be only in some temporary placeholder.
Interesting ... I will investigate.

On a more general note: The next version 0.1.2 is on schedule (release is planned for this weekend).
New features will include: UPnP support, Local network discovery, custom unit stats, widescreen mode, custom resolution and a bunch of bug fixes.
APC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by APC » 2019-01-29, 12:07

I played more multiplayer matches inbetween and I take back my suggestion to delay "ready-to-fire" in actually placed artillery.
In most strategic games defender has some advantage. In Zod Engine very agressive strategy pays off. We can consider this "ambush atrillery" kind of defensive advantage.

For example player digged in his fort encircled by enemy forces can time to time produce rocket artillery and destroy bunch of enemy robots placing it near borders. It forces opponent to stay at least bit away and also being more cautious in intentions to attack enemy territory.

I have issue about retaking territory - where for example was manufactured howitzer and left time 30 seconds. Now strong player which controls more territories captures the flag - and the ZOD Engine recalculates difference and the result is howitzer produced just in the moment when flag was lost. By auto-cancelling production during change of flag-ownership this issue wouldn't exist.

The "default preffered units" will be set only in case of capturing neutral flag? In case the "auto-cancelling production" rule during change of flag ownership - for the new owner the production should be also automatically set to "preffered unit".
Please consider the "auto-cancelling production" rule at least as some check-box option in preferences or startup menu.
SteelGhost
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SteelGhost » 2019-01-30, 09:25

Only finding about this now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IomY9J3Nty0

...but only for iOS version, of course :roll:
Image Z Wiki - Contribute now!
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-30, 15:49

SteelGhost wrote:
2019-01-30, 09:25
Only finding about this now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IomY9J3Nty0

...but only for iOS version, of course :roll:
So the GOG version does support multiplayer, but only for iOS!?
I have it for PC and Android, both version don't have an option for multiplayer. Weird ...
SteelGhost
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SteelGhost » 2019-01-30, 16:09

They probably dropped the project right after implementing multiplayer for iOS.

You know, it'd be better if Steam just sold the original game bundled with a DOSBox emulator, as they do with DooM classics.
Image Z Wiki - Contribute now!
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-31, 20:16

SteelGhost wrote:
2019-01-30, 16:09
They probably dropped the project right after implementing multiplayer for iOS.

You know, it'd be better if Steam just sold the original game bundled with a DOSBox emulator, as they do with DooM classics.
I agree. It's so weird that they implemented/ported the multiplayer to iOS and didn't port it PC/Android.
Netcode is one of the easiest thing to port ...

I made a quick video to showcase the cutscene integration, higher resolution mode (I play in 800x600), widescreen mode and test the new zoom feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-pVgVq ... e=youtu.be

Everything you see in the video except the zoom feature will be part of 0.1.2 this weekend.
Feedback is as always welcome :-)
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-02-02, 18:51

I have release version 0.1.2 of ZED Online.

Short summary of changes:

- Resolution can now be set in options menu (for custom resolution see below) (Thanks to APC!)
- Widescreen mode. This only makes sense in fullscreen mode. The resolution will be recalculated to fit this aspect ratio of the screen.
I.e. in fullscreen mode on a 16:9 monitor you will see more of the game without cropping.
- Fixed rally points in Starcraft control (Thanks to APC!)
- In classic control when holding ALT you can now set a rally point
- In classic and Starcraft controls when holding ALT the next command will only be issued to the closest unit
- Support for cinemas. After updating to 0.1.2 run the updater to download the cinemas (or download v0.1.2 on the SourceForge webpage if you don't like the updater)
- Support for custom unit stats (see below) (Thanks to APC!)
- UPnP support (see below)
- Server-side port probing (see below)
- LAN mode
- Robots leave now longer the factory stacked (Thanks to BallWin)

Explanation for custom resolution:
After installing v0.1.2, go to the options menu, click "save settings", close the program. Open "options.ini". The first line should be "Version:3" if not, you did something wrong.
Search for "Resolution.Width:" and "Resolution.Height:" you can edit the numbers freely and play in whatever resolution you want.

Explanation for custom unit stats:
Download this file: https://sourceforge.net/p/zedonline/cod ... _stats.txt
Rename it to "unit_stats.txt" and put it in the same folder as "ZED Online.exe". When playing in single player the unit stats from this file will be used.
Note that no statistic in this case will be saved and the end game time will be fixed to 10 minutes.

Explanation for UPnP:
When starting the game the program makes a list of all network interfaces, takes the first one, tries to find the router and enable port forwarding on port 8000 to your machine.
This means if you are connected to only one network where the router has UPnP enabled and you can open port 8000 on your machine you don't need to setup port forwarding manually anymore.

Explanation on server-side port probing:
When creating a game online the gateway will try to connect to you. You will see a message if the connection could be established.
If the gateway could connect to you this means that port-forwarding is set up correctly. If you get an error message, there is a high change that port-forwarding in not set up correctly and people can not connect to you.
In short: If you want to play with a friend, let the person who does not get an error message create the game and the other connect to him.
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2019-02-03, 16:06

I tried the 800x600 screen size and this is what it looks like.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-02-03, 16:47

Thanks for the bug report, I can reproduce this graphical glitch.
Can you for now switch to the OpenGL renderer (the bug only appears with the software renderer for me).

EDIT: Fixed in commit https://sourceforge.net/p/zedonline/cod ... 7673bfeca/
I was only one line of code -.- Sorry for messing it up :-(
Last edited by DaMarkov on 2019-02-03, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
BallWin
General
General

Post by BallWin » 2019-02-03, 18:59

Good promotion of the project. I'm glad to see cuts and the game results screen.
Note on YouTube videos:
1) the quality of cuts is very low (maybe it's the artifact record?)
2) if you increase the resolution on the cliffs of the grid (this is also artifacts recording?)
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-02-03, 20:20

BallWin wrote:
2019-02-03, 18:59
Good promotion of the project. I'm glad to see cuts and the game results screen.
Note on YouTube videos:
1) the quality of cuts is very low (maybe it's the artifact record?)
2) if you increase the resolution on the cliffs of the grid (this is also artifacts recording?)
1) The quality of the cutscenes is definitely low since I am using the .avi files and not the original .jv files.
Screen recording the entire thing, encoding, uploading to YouTube, re-encoding also doesn't help of course. I you set the resolution to 1080p on YouTube it is still quite an accuarte representation though. In short: manily because I am using the .avis.

2) On which grid? By increasing the resolution, you mean setting it to 1024x768? I am not sure what you mean here.
BallWin
General
General

Post by BallWin » 2019-02-03, 21:05

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-02-03, 20:20
1) The quality of the cutscenes is definitely low since I am using the .avi files and not the original .jv files.
Screen recording the entire thing, encoding, uploading to YouTube, re-encoding also doesn't help of course. I you set the resolution to 1080p on YouTube it is still quite an accuarte representation though. In short: manily because I am using the .avis.
I continue to work on the decoder (C++). The original data will be available to us.
DaMarkov wrote:
2019-02-03, 20:20
2) On which grid? By increasing the resolution, you mean setting it to 1024x768? I am not sure what you mean here.
timing 3.09-3.10 for example
I see a grid on the rocks!