It currently sells for $6.99

KISSMAD says:
You get the following bonus content.

Multi Player Game Guide.pdf
Single Player Game Guide.pdf
Z_Manual_PC.pdf
Z Sountrack - 9 mp3 files. 35 minutes in total
Z Wallpapers - 3 x 1920x1080 jpg images

I got the "MSVCR110.dll is missing" error when I run the game. I downloaded Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... ?id=30679#
The game now works.

There is no option to turn the music volume down, only on or off.
Let us know what you think...
Zod
Admin General
Admin General
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: Z Release on GOG

Postby Zod » 2014-07-18, 21:11

I thought I'd spend the 7 bucks and just downloaded Z from GOG (version 2.1.0.6)

Ahhh, the good old feeling is back on my Win 8.1 machine.

I noticed that map scrolling speed is rather slow. Also, I expected that the mouse wheel will scroll the map as well but it doesn't. Is that intentional or just on my end?
KISSMAD
General
General

Postby KISSMAD » 2014-07-19, 05:24

The mouse does not scroll the map for me either.

I wish GOG would hurry and and post the second update.
Brad
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Brad » 2014-07-19, 19:40

Ok, this is weird. After 10 years I am actually seeing those little nasty bots crawling over my Windows 8 screen again. Awesome!

@KISSMAD You are mentioning a second upgrade. Is there one in the works? How do you know?
KISSMAD
General
General

Postby KISSMAD » 2014-07-20, 01:31

Brad wrote:Ok, this is weird. After 10 years I am actually seeing those little nasty bots crawling over my Windows 8 screen again. Awesome!

@KISSMAD You are mentioning a second upgrade. Is there one in the works? How do you know?
The second update has been released on Steam but not on GOG. They haven't gotten their lazy asses into gear yet!

Check this thread for more info.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=726
city slicker
Tough
Tough

Postby city slicker » 2014-07-23, 03:25

hi again from greece old member too old to remember previous name-password-email...
i think that they should have released not z-dos but z95 (xp ready-3 toughs-speed and difficulty selection-larger maps etc) with some little extra improvements:
1) easy to work with map editor for multiplayer and single player games
2) middle mouse button for selecting which unit you want to build instead of left click the up or down buttons (or maybe the system zod engine has) very crucial if you're in a hurry
3) skirmish maps (or even new extra scenario) with multiple cpu players along with multiple real players. for example one map could be player 1 with 3 cpu enemies or 2 cpu enemies or (skirmish only) 2 cpu enemies and 2 real players.
AND THAT IS ALL!!! only minor changes for the by far best game ever and most importantly very easy to make these changes and tons of hours new gameplay, in other words a pollished version of zod engine with bitmap brothers interface and copyright stuff (as much as i admire and thank the guys who made and still improve zod engine with all the improvements i had in mind for almost 2 decades and more, the feel is not exactly the same).
So for the past years i play z95 1.7 again and again the 35 single player missions and with my friend multiplayer (I currently lose 41-36. (you get 1 point for win 14 stages of the 27 two player maps. every time is something different and thats the magic of it). and with internet players i play zod engine. (dont worry i also have a life i only play z).
z remastered just can't fit in there and i am very dissapointent for the release it feels like its made from people who never play z. Real bummer because as i already said the game from the first release in 1996 only suffered with internet support and skirmish maps. so much better than warcraft and c&c imo but who can stick with an rts without these elements. we already have the majority of people who say ohhhh its very difficult and very frustating the robots to insult us (2 elements i totally love) if they dont have many maps and internet play then its game over for the sales. And that is the most irritating thing of all. z remasterd came it was rubbish and now we cant wait for a re-rerelease that was it. thanks for reading!
Zod
Admin General
Admin General

Postby Zod » 2014-07-26, 21:07

Hi city slicker,
welcome back. Hmm, don't remember your old username? Can you find an old post of yours? Maybe we can revive your account.

Thanks for your notes on the new release. I totlally hear you. I also played Z95 only since it came out. It is good that you list your concerns here. I am sure the developers will read this too and maybe improve the game further.

Thanks and best regards,
Zod
KISSMAD
General
General

Postby KISSMAD » 2014-07-31, 05:42

I have finished playing Z on the easy level. I had a ball playing it. I should point out that I'm not really a gamer. I think I only got up to level 9 on the original version.

It's a pity that the updates took ages to be released by GOG, a week to get the second update after it was released on Steam. I was on level 20 when the update arrived. I done most of the levels in the first go. Getting the score of Warlord on 17 of the levels. I spent 4 hours 21 minutes and 49 seconds playing the easy difficulty setting.

My best on Easy
Level: 17 - Car Park
Time: 00:03:05
Units Lost: 4
Units Killed: 17
Score: 99999

After I finished the easy levels I started on the medium levels and all of the levels were available to be replayed. In my opinion, they should not be all available since it's the first time that I'm attempting to play them at the medium difficulty setting.

I would love if Skirmish Mode was added. I know the devs maybe adding multi-player to the Steam version. So hopefully Skirmish Mode will be added for the GOG and other non-Steam versions. It must have the ability to change your colour of your own units. 8)

I'm hoping that a new version of the Z map editor is released. It's one way to extend the games longevity for years to come. I even wouldn't mind if they made it a separate program and charged the same price as what Z cost, maybe even a little more. The way I look at it is that I'll be getting the ability to create more maps. Everyone will be able to create more maps and upload them for everyone to play. There will be unlimited maps to play if the map editor was made. That is worth the price for unlimited maps!

As for Z: Steel Soldiers.
I wasn't a fan of it at all. I never played it past the first level, I didn't even attempt to finish the first level. I am actually interested in the 2014 version. I'm hoping that the price is going to be around the same price that Z is.

There needs to be separate adjustable volume control for the music and effects. I don't like having the music as loud as the effects, it's too distracting.
Zod
Admin General
Admin General

Postby Zod » 2014-07-31, 19:23

Car Park in 3 minutes! Holy cow!
I am still going through the first levels. What really gets to my nerves is the extreme slow scroll speed. It takes so long to get my mouse to the spot where I want my bots to go. I really hope they will support the mouse wheel soon...
KISSMAD
General
General

Postby KISSMAD » 2014-08-01, 02:20

Zod wrote:Car Park in 3 minutes! Holy cow!
I am still going through the first levels. What really gets to my nerves is the extreme slow scroll speed. It takes so long to get my mouse to the spot where I want my bots to go. I really hope they will support the mouse wheel soon...
Are you using the click and drag option to move around in the map?
You can open the mini map and click on where you want to go and you will be taken there almost instantly.
city slicker
Tough
Tough

Postby city slicker » 2014-08-01, 22:11

i played z from 96 to 01 a lot. by then it was my favourite game i couldn't believe how clever it was!!!!!! finished the 35 levels at medium difficulty and medium speed. i try high speed and difficulty but i straggled at lv 22 or something. i stop playing. then in late 2012 i found an old friend who is a computer junkie and we started playing z95 1.7 multiplayer. i currently lose 41-37 overall (last win: 14-12 two days before) which is probably 1700 levels as we never have a big gap at the end. after all these games i can only play high diff-speed. i dont write that to state that i am the chosen one but to point out that if z had a decent multiplayer and everybody played along those 35 levels soon everybody will play at high settings eventually and then try making new levels at map editor, that is the natural progress of z for me. so that is the BIG mistake this new release has. slow game-slow scrolling is only for the beggining. where is the hold right click to scroll faster i never give an order without it. i want fast production times. the map has to be blue-red and not trasparent (or it could be as an option like z) it should be smaller, it takes to much space and you dont get the picture if youre in a rush. i want to easily see if i have f.e. one less than half territory i can lose the game if not. i want my old controls back! And then i can start wishing for the changes i wrote 3 replies before. all in all this game is designed for mouse. you cant have a game for phones in a pc, its never gonna to be fast enough (ask frustrated players who played z for ps1).
i dont think that the upgrades will help but i always expect a miracle from z... but truth is the developers didnt think the experience players with this release. so to answer to you kissmad i want multiplayer and map editor for z 95. z remastered has to be much quicker to take advantage of these or else you get bored by the time you lose interst after 20-25 multiplayer games. when you know exactly what to do in each stage and the game won't allow you...
Parlamenter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Parlamenter » 2014-08-05, 20:11

Is this clone playable or not? Can I get same fun as I got with original?
KISSMAD
General
General

Postby KISSMAD » 2014-08-06, 01:57

Parlamenter wrote:Is this clone playable or not? Can I get same fun as I got with original?
Yes it is playable.
All the bad reviews are now out dated.
XStrategy
Major
Major

Postby XStrategy » 2014-08-06, 21:07

I did not really like original ZSS but this version is much more fun with new smooth graphics and easier interface!
Z and only Z1
Kevin
Psycho
Psycho

Postby Kevin » 2014-08-07, 12:53

I've played the iOS version. Does the GOG version contain the same bugs the iOS version has?

General bugs:
-When I order my robots to attack, the lead robot will just walk toward the target.
-Toughs and Pyros can't destroy buildings or bridges.
-Sometimes my robots can't enter an APC.
-Sometimes poor pathfinding doesn't allow units to go around corners.

Multiplayer bugs:
-Capturing a flag when the opponent's changing production results in a free Grunt or Jeep.
-Blue player can't build guns.
"Let's move our asses, soldier."