Z95 for Windows XP without emulation

Post any issues here having to do with playing, installating or configuration of the game.

Moderator: Brad

jezus_gristus
Sniper
Sniper

Postby jezus_gristus » 2007-01-21, 23:42

SpaceOne wrote: Altough I get this error on startup
I've released a new version of z95forXP. Version 1.1 features the following improvements:

-- Included the Z95 Patch which fixes the language issues.
-- Saving games now works, loading however still doesn't.
-- Debug assertion is no longer shown on startup when having Visual Studio 2003 installed.
-- Removed the kernel32 proxy dll because it's no longer needed for proper operation.
-- The Loader executable searches for the Z95VOLUME cdrom and sets the 'Cuts' registry value according to the location where the Z95 cdrom is find (if found). This makes sure the movies are shown, even if you insert your Z95 cdrom in a different drive.
-- Integrated the file copy module better in the installer.

I suggest you all install the new version. Removing the previous version of z95forXP is required (i haven't quite figured out the upgrading abilities of msi).

I have tried to get the loading of saved games working, but I just can't figure out what's wrong. Even an unmodified version of Z95 won't even attempt to load a saved game :? I don't know if ?'ve got time to look at this issue this week. Just make sure you beat the cpu without saving for now :wink:

People who are upgrading:
You have to manually remove the winz.exe file from the previous z installation directory in order to fix the language issue. People performing a clean install don't have to worry about anything.
Last edited by jezus_gristus on 2007-01-22, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
Ravey
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ravey » 2007-01-22, 00:00

I am SO close to getting z95, looking forward to trying out your new version.
Last edited by Ravey on 2007-01-22, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceOne
Corporal
Corporal

Postby SpaceOne » 2007-01-22, 00:33

New version working great - I don't get error any more and there is english language it the menus. Confirming that saving is working, and loading don't.
Nice work.

I waited so long to play z95 under xp.
Ravey
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ravey » 2007-01-22, 00:44

From what I have seen, the performance is superior to Dosbox, in terms of the scrolling which doesn't stutter anymore. I was able to record a video at 640x480 at full speed... Although perhaps there is a way to raise the FPS? Though I presume you can only change anything related to the windows API.

I created dummy files for all the videos and it appears to work fine, disabled it in the options just to be sure. I also packaged the iso with the patch and a readme, compressed it to 17.5MB -- I'll post it but only because giving a torrent is no different. :d

link: http://ravey.leafo.net/files/z95.rar
BallWin
Major
Major

Postby BallWin » 2007-01-22, 04:25

Splendour! Looks splendid! New version 1.1 working excellent!
Big respect to lord jezus_gristus! You the valid hero.
Many many thanks! :D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
SpaceOne
Corporal
Corporal

Postby SpaceOne » 2007-01-22, 15:13

BTW
Ravey, I even managed to run your version (without videos) through wine in linux, but it isn't really playable because of a to big lag.
XStrategy
Major
Major

Postby XStrategy » 2007-01-23, 00:59

jezus_gristus, you are really SUPER STAR! You could make impossible! Unreal come true! No we all can easily play Z95 On WinXP without any problems and emulators!!!

That's fantastic! You helped Z community so much!

I could start your installer and now i play Z95 on WinXP 7 years after I finished it last time on my old Win98 in 2000...
That's really great!
Thank you so much!

Only one problem -looks like mouse moves too quickly in game, how can we slow it little bit?
[/b]
Z and only Z1
SpaceOne
Corporal
Corporal

Postby SpaceOne » 2007-01-23, 01:06

You have option in the game for mouse (scroll) speed. You can change it in the main menu (options -> game control), or when playing game (menu (in the lower right corner) --> game control -> options).
BERSERK3R
Captain
Captain

Postby BERSERK3R » 2007-01-23, 01:44

Well I don't got any luck.

I got the official 95 edition , but cdlabel is z_######, but I made a iso from it and the XPpatch-setup now installs correctly.

But when I load the game, nothing happens, well i see a black screen indicating something is starting but then it goes back to the desktop.

The original Z install exe loads the renegade logo but stops after that.

Any ideas?

EDIT:
I found a working installation of Z, and that needs to be started by clicking on that zcool executable.

So that works, but why doesn't this XPpatch version work?
Ravey
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ravey » 2007-01-23, 01:55

BERSERK3R wrote:So that works, but why doesn't this XPpatch version work?
try mounting the iso from my post into daemon tools.
ZOnline wrote:Only one problem -looks like mouse moves too quickly in game, how can we slow it little bit?
I think this is just because of the slow speed that Z runs at, it's seemingly more noticable at high-res.
BERSERK3R
Captain
Captain

Postby BERSERK3R » 2007-01-23, 02:02

It seems that it wants to load the movies, and that might just be my iso cause the downloadable has got "fake" movies?

But ill try it though.
This is the error I get, just look at the line that gives the error, I'd like to know what is causing it.

BallWin
Major
Major

Postby BallWin » 2007-01-23, 06:14

BERSERK3R wrote:It seems that it wants to load the movies, and that might just be my iso cause the downloadable has got "fake" movies?
But ill try it though.
This is the error I get, just look at the line that gives the error, I'd like to know what is causing it.
WRONG sequence!
RUN "Play Z95 for Windows XP Patched by YoMommaNL" in the Start menu!

==================================
In game the key ENTER does not work (for transition in a fort) . Somebody knows the reason?
SpaceOne
Corporal
Corporal

Postby SpaceOne » 2007-01-23, 12:18

BERSERK3R

I think that you don't have z95. You have z. This patch was made for z95 and not for z. Try ravey's iso image and you should get it working.
That error is fixed in patch version 1.1 (here http://www.vereyon.nl/files/z95forXP_by ... NL_1.1.msi )
NaKrul
Grunt
Grunt

Postby NaKrul » 2007-01-23, 13:19

In my case the iso was named "MyDisk" so the installer didn't work correctly. Either you copy the content of the folder "Z" of your Z95 CD right to the install directory or you unzip the Z95volume-iso from the Z95.rar an make a new iso with correct disk-name. By the way so i integrated the videosequences because changing the cuts-diretctory in the registry doesn't take any effect.
jezus_gristus
Sniper
Sniper

Postby jezus_gristus » 2007-01-23, 16:22

ZOnline wrote:jezus_gristus, you are really SUPER STAR! You could make impossible! Unreal come true! No we all can easily play Z95 On WinXP without any problems and emulators!!!

That's fantastic! You helped Z community so much!

I could start your installer and now i play Z95 on WinXP 7 years after I finished it last time on my old Win98 in 2000...
That's really great!
Thank you so much![/b]

Only one problem -looks like mouse moves too quickly in game, how can we slow it little bit?
Thank you, thank you :)
But about the mouse: I noticed this issue as well. The mouse seems to be somewhat unresponsive and at the same time the mouse speed itself is a bit high, you do get used to it though. Hoewever you can't set the mouse speed in Z95 itself, i'll see if I can intervene somewhere in the Direct Input initialization or Direct Input handling.
BERSERK3R wrote:EDIT:
I found a working installation of Z, and that needs to be started by clicking on that zcool executable.
You have to use the Loader executable (or use the startmenu shortcut) when you've got Z95 and my z95forXP patch.
BERSERK3R wrote:This is the error I get, just look at the line that gives the error, I'd like to know what is causing it.
Z95 for some reason tries to open a file named "", which is a string containing only null characters. The c++ standard library checks for such 'errors' using debug assertions, that's the message you get. In my patch i've remove the instruction calling the warning dialog because it's not of any use.
BallWin wrote:In game the key ENTER does not work (for transition in a fort) . Somebody knows the reason?
Could very well be possible. I also noted the backspace key doesn't work when trying to type a name when saving a game... very weird, haven't found the problem yet.
NaKrul wrote:In my case the iso was named "MyDisk" so the installer didn't work correctly. Either you copy the content of the folder "Z" of your Z95 CD right to the install directory or you unzip the Z95volume-iso from the Z95.rar an make a new iso with correct disk-name. By the way so i integrated the videosequences because changing the cuts-diretctory in the registry doesn't take any effect.
I'll add a dialog to the next version of the installer which allows you to browse for the file location if the 'Z95VOLUME' disc is not found.