This is how I got Z (not z95) to work on XP

Post any issues here having to do with playing, installating or configuration of the game.

Moderator: Brad

Stroop
Grunt
Grunt

Re: This is how I got Z (not z95) to work on XP

Post by Stroop » 2008-06-04, 15:22

Just finished my finals and went through all of the old games I might want to install; Z came by, and I put it away, knowing it wouldn't run on XP. This morning, I stumbled upon this thread, and now I can enjoy Z again, for the first time in many years.

Thanks for this guide KISSMAD, worked great for me :D
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2008-06-05, 00:51

Stroop wrote:Thanks for this guide KISSMAD, worked great for me :D
Your welcome. :cheers:
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2008-08-02, 07:43

raventah wrote:i follow your Dosbox instruction.. when install its stuck when reach 44%..
because the missing file for AUDIO\CD1..
I prefer to answer your question in the forum and not via the pm. That way it might help others.

Can you please post what is in your z.bat file and from the dosbox.conf file, the text that is below the [autoexec] line.
What version of Dosbox are you using?
Which Z are you using?
RonTom
Psycho
Psycho

Post by RonTom » 2008-08-24, 00:50

Hi
ive read this thread and i couldnt find an anser to my specific problem so im posting to see if any1 can help me.
i found my Z disc a while ago but it hand fungus growing on it, scratched all over and somehow a pretty clear dog bite [wierd, ive never had a dog] and bottom line lost beyond all hope. i did try it on my pc but it was just too damaged.
so i was searching around the internet and found a compilation of old games in isohunt, from which i downloaded a zip that supposedly had Z, a 1996 version [?] . icons seemed to match, but i dont remember specifics.
i downloaded DOSBox, 0.65 and 0.72 and on both i get the "missing mane.lbm" error, most probably because i dont have the cd anymore :(
i checked the z.bat file and it only says:
@Echo Please Wait - Loading ......
@ZED.EXE /CD:@
As for the files my folder has its the following:

any help is more than welcome. thanks!
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2008-08-24, 01:47

RonTom wrote:Hi
ive read this thread and i couldnt find an anser to my specific problem so im posting to see if any1 can help me.
i found my Z disc a while ago but it hand fungus growing on it, scratched all over and somehow a pretty clear dog bite [wierd, ive never had a dog] and bottom line lost beyond all hope. i did try it on my pc but it was just too damaged.
so i was searching around the internet and found a compilation of old games in isohunt, from which i downloaded a zip that supposedly had Z, a 1996 version [?] . icons seemed to match, but i dont remember specifics.
i downloaded DOSBox, 0.65 and 0.72 and on both i get the "missing mane.lbm" error, most probably because i dont have the cd anymore :(
i checked the z.bat file and it only says:
@ZED.EXE /CD:@
any help is more than welcome. thanks!
Welcome to the forum.
Can you please post what is in your dosbox.conf file, the text that is below the [autoexec] line.
RonTom
Psycho
Psycho

Post by RonTom » 2008-08-24, 06:12

KISSMAD wrote: Welcome to the forum.
Can you please post what is in your dosbox.conf file, the text that is below the [autoexec] line.
since im a total nub i copied from the dosbox site this
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
MOUNT C C:\OLDGAMES
C:
i have my z files in a folder inside the "oldgames" folder
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2008-08-24, 06:37

RonTom wrote:
KISSMAD wrote: Welcome to the forum.
since im a total nub i copied from the dosbox site this
[autoexec]
MOUNT C C:\OLDGAMES
C:
i have my z files in a folder inside the "oldgames" folder
I'm presuming that you have the Z game installed in the C:\OLDGAMES\Z folder.

Change your Z.bat to this

Code: Select all

@ZED.EXE /CD:# %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
Replace the # with your CD Rom drive letter.

Change your dosbox.conf to this

Code: Select all

[autoexec]
mount C C:\oldgames\Z

mount # C:\oldgames\Z\CD -t cdrom 

C:

z.bat
Replace the # with your CD Rom drive letter.

Hopefully it will work. Let me know how you go.
RonTom
Psycho
Psycho

Post by RonTom » 2008-08-24, 18:41

i tried that and i stil get the mane.lbm error :cry:
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2008-08-25, 11:56

Which folder did you put the contents of the CD into?
C:\OLDGAMES\Z or C:\OLDGAMES\Z\CD
metalhd4ever2979
Psycho
Psycho

Post by metalhd4ever2979 » 2008-08-26, 10:37

first let me announce i am a computer retard :p so if this is a horrible question pretend it's not for the sake of my pride

i followed everything that was said to do and i got the main pac missing error sounded easy to fix except............i cant find a "z.bat" file anywhere at all so i cant' open it to change that letter you say in the beginning of the thread to change :(

Plz help a comptard enjoy the game as you all are Thanx for you patience and i am sorry if this is unbearably stupid of me that i can't find this file

PS: i even did a file search and there is no z.bat file coming up
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2008-08-26, 11:29

metalhd4ever2979 wrote:first let me announce i am a computer retard :p so if this is a horrible question pretend it's not for the sake of my pride

i followed everything that was said to do and i got the main pac missing error sounded easy to fix except............i cant find a "z.bat" file anywhere at all so i cant' open it to change that letter you say in the beginning of the thread to change :(

Plz help a comptard enjoy the game as you all are Thanx for you patience and i am sorry if this is unbearably stupid of me that i can't find this file

PS: i even did a file search and there is no z.bat file coming up
It maybe a file called Z the .bat maybe hidden, it depends on your configuration.
metalhd4ever2979
Psycho
Psycho

Post by metalhd4ever2979 » 2008-08-26, 13:02

i'm attaching a screenshot of what i have under "Z" everything is a non text file except the levels so i get nothing readable off of anything thnx for all your hlep i'm really hoping to play this game soon :(

/sigh i'm not attaching anything b/c the extension bmp is not allowed i hate being a comptard man i try and try and it's more frustrating than enjoyable i miss when things were simple :(
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2008-08-26, 13:55

metalhd4ever2979 wrote:/sigh i'm not attaching anything b/c the extension bmp is not allowed i hate being a comptard man i try and try and it's more frustrating than enjoyable i miss when things were simple :(
Use this free image hosting site to upload your picture.
http://imageshack.us/
metalhd4ever2979
Psycho
Psycho

Post by metalhd4ever2979 » 2008-08-26, 14:47

well i went there i clicked upload i clicked host i put my email in i got redirected and nothing else happend i truly should not have a computer i swear the more i try to understand stuff the more confused i end up :( All i wanted to do is play a game lol instead i've been up all night screwing around with this pure aggravation
metalhd4ever2979
Psycho
Psycho

Post by metalhd4ever2979 » 2008-08-26, 17:15

K i have located the bat file the .bat was hidden and i was looking in teh wrong place but i switched both letters to "E" which is the cd/dvd drive letter triple checked it against your original post of instructions everything matches exactly and it still says "main.pac missing" :(