This is how I got Z (not z95) to work on XP

Post any issues here having to do with playing, installating or configuration of the game.

Moderator: Brad

KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2006-03-16, 12:26

Sick Puppy wrote:
KISSMAD wrote:Have you tried and change the letter to something else besides E? Maybe C. c or e.
Yeah, tried both upper & lower case. Even tried c\games\z for the squits and giggles too! :D

One thing I have noticed is that when I click on the icon for DOSBox, Windows pops up and informs me that DOSBox is trying to act as a server, and asks me whether I want to allow or deny it (regardless of whether I'm linked to the internet or not). I've tried both options, without success. Is this of any significance? It's not mentioned in the instructions so may be something to do with my setup. Any ideas anyone?

I also wonder if it could be something to do with the fact I'm trying it on a laptop, as d3vilsadvocate cannot run Z on his ultra portable... :?:

My other option is to install version 0.62 instead... either that or find the P120 I stashed away years ago! :shock:

By the way, I may have a new convert for the Z clan- my talking about my attempts to play this to a mate led to his reinstalling Transport Tycoon, and he's Z-curious! I've given him a copy of the CD plus links to the site and this thread. Let the contests begin! :shake:
I really don't know what you can do except as you suggest that use Dosbox 0.62.
RavenTS
Major
Major

Post by RavenTS » 2006-03-20, 23:48

Just managed to get the whole thing running (with sound, svga, videos and acceptable performance....and least the most time) and so my litte problems with screenshots ist also solved.

But...the performance ist partially not the best. I changed the cycle-rate to 14000 as it seemed to be more efficient, but when I activate all details in the game-menu, the game slows down when things explode and fly through the air..! I have to set the details to the lowest value to play really fine...

Question: What system are you using, is this probably a problem with limitating CPU-power? I gave DOSBox 192MB of RAM und use an AthlonXP with 2.2 GHz
Sick Puppy
Sniper
Sniper

Post by Sick Puppy » 2006-03-22, 08:31

Sick Puppy wrote:I have an ASUS A6VM laptop, 1.73gHz, 512MB DRAM, Windows XP Pro (with SP2).

Raven TS, I'm assuming you are asking me- this is what I put in page two of this thread. Sadly I am better at following instructions than messing with line code- how do you attribute RAM to DOS Box? :?

Oh, and I have a CD / Dual layer DVD writer. This may be a cause of it, but I don't know enough about PC's to do anything about it if it is!

I'm also thinking that I need to have a look at the DOS Box forum and see if there is anything I need to do for XP Pro, since it refers to the XP Home version using this approach.

Failing that, I will use the approach Devil's Advocate suggested, and failing that Parlementer's approach (this one's last as it makes my brain hurt the most! :mrgreen:

And if/ when all that fails, I will buy a bloody soundcard for my old W95 computer, dust it off and use that! :D

I will be playing this game soon!
RavenTS
Major
Major

Post by RavenTS » 2006-03-22, 12:21

Sick Puppy wrote:
Raven TS, I'm assuming you are asking me- this is what I put in page two of this thread. Sadly I am better at following instructions than messing with line code- how do you attribute RAM to DOS Box? :?
There is a line in the config-file of DOSBox where you can change this value...
Oh, and I have a CD / Dual layer DVD writer. This may be a cause of it, but I don't know enough about PC's to do anything about it if it is!

I'm also thinking that I need to have a look at the DOS Box forum and see if there is anything I need to do for XP Pro, since it refers to the XP Home version using this approach.
Im using also a Combo-Drive from MSI, but I dont think that there are any problems...

Besides Im also using WinXP Pro, probably this could be a hint...

I just opened the system monitor when I played last time and had a look an the CPU-graph and this said that the CPU wasnt really at 100% when I played although Z wasnt very smooth. Thing there is a problem with DOSBox or some options...unfortunately I really dont know what to do except trying a whole bunch of different settings... :(
Sick Puppy
Sniper
Sniper

Post by Sick Puppy » 2006-03-22, 13:51

:shock: :o :D :lol:

IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE! HALLEUJAH!

I thought I would try one of the other approaches, and the one suggested by Devil's advocate works! IT WORKS! Woo-hoo!

Finally, after all the years of owning the game, I can actually play it!!!

[sick puppy throws off his bandages, and dances a little jig]

Aah, let the fun begin... :shake:
Thanks everyone!
RavenTS
Major
Major

Post by RavenTS » 2006-03-28, 13:21

I solved the biggest performance-problems by massively increasing cycle rate (up to 20.000!)...still not perfect, but acceptable..! :mrgreen:
Blackhorse
Grunt
Grunt

Post by Blackhorse » 2006-04-10, 17:38

Tried what you said, step by step, but still doesn't work. I've tried all my cdrom drives but it still can't find the main.pac file.

Any idea on how to solve this? I have the original Z game from the box with no expansion or patches.
RavenTS
Major
Major

Post by RavenTS » 2006-04-10, 20:55

Blackhorse wrote:Tried what you said, step by step, but still doesn't work. I've tried all my cdrom drives but it still can't find the main.pac file.

Any idea on how to solve this? I have the original Z game from the box with no expansion or patches.
Have you correctly mounted your CD-ROM-DRIVE (Drive letter!)?
Blackhorse
Grunt
Grunt

Post by Blackhorse » 2006-04-11, 15:15

RavenTS wrote:
Blackhorse wrote:Tried what you said, step by step, but still doesn't work. I've tried all my cdrom drives but it still can't find the main.pac file.

What do you mean?? Mount them where?

The letters are E and F.
RavenTS
Major
Major

Post by RavenTS » 2006-04-11, 15:57

Blackhorse wrote:
RavenTS wrote:

The letters are E and F.
You have to mount them in DOSBox prompt or in DOSBox config-file, how it is explained in the guide on the first site in this thread.

As I said you have to mount to correct drive, means if you mount drive E you must insert your Z-CD-ROM into drive E..!
Blackhorse
Grunt
Grunt

Post by Blackhorse » 2006-04-11, 19:02

RavenTS wrote:
Blackhorse wrote:
RavenTS wrote: Have you correctly mounted your CD-ROM-DRIVE (Drive letter!)?

The letters are E and F.
You have to mount them in DOSBox prompt or in DOSBox config-file, how it is explained in the guide on the first site in this thread.

As I said you have to mount to correct drive, means if you mount drive E you must insert your Z-CD-ROM into drive E..!
Ah, sure. Of course I did that.. I'm not stupid ya know ^^
RavenTS
Major
Major

Post by RavenTS » 2006-04-12, 00:14

Blackhorse wrote:
RavenTS wrote:
Blackhorse wrote: What do you mean?? Mount them where?

The letters are E and F.

Ah, sure. Of course I did that.. I'm not stupid ya know ^^
Didnt want to imply that..! But its very hard to see where your problem exactly is. To be honest dont have any idea... :|
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2006-04-12, 03:31

Can you copy and paste the dosbox.conf text here?
lumina
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by lumina » 2006-05-22, 20:45

The directions worked perfectly. I was shocked that I was able to play Z again because of this. Thank you all.

Plus the slowdown is not much of a problem, everyone's PC is a bit different it just needs some fiddling with. ^^
The_Drummer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by The_Drummer » 2006-06-04, 10:16

It works, but it still comes up with main.pac is missing. I installed the game to C:\Z, and the CDs contents are in C:\Z\CD. My two CD drives are Y and Z - and I've tried Y, Z, y, z, but it still isn't working...

btw, when I opened the Z.BAT, it had this:

@Echo Please Wait - Loading ......
@ZED.EXE /CD:X /yesuv %1 %2 %3 %4 %5

I have no idea why the yesuv was there... I deleted it, is it essential to run the game?

(btw, the version of DOSbox I'm using is v0.65)

Thanks. :)

Sesning a breakthrough here!
I'm afraid the server z game 2 is full. However, I have set up two more:-

For Z95 players ONLY!!!, use:
Name: Z95!
Password: Tom
For DOSBox-Z players ONLY!!!, use:
Name: DOSBox-Z!
Password: Tom
Have fun!