Z95 on win xp: game works (w/o save) but patch doesn't

Post any issues here having to do with playing, installating or configuration of the game.

Moderator: Brad

sillup
Sniper
Sniper

Z95 on win xp: game works (w/o save) but patch doesn't

Post by sillup » 2008-01-20, 13:51

Hi there everybody. :)

I'm new of this site and I have a problem with Z95, to be run on Windows xp SP2.

The game starts and I can play, but savegame doesn't work.
I tried downloading from this site the patch (v1.6) but it does nothing: I mean, if I execute it and I click on "start game", nothing happens.

Can you help me?

Thank you!
:idiot:
CHYROS
General
General

Re: Z95 on win xp: game works (w/o save) but patch doesn't

Post by CHYROS » 2008-01-20, 15:43

Hello there, welcome to the forums! :cheers:

You said you use patch 1.6; do I understand correctly when I say you're using the Z Expansion XP launcher?

If so; this is a known issue. It's rather irritating but I have found a way; before you start the savegame; start the level of the saveplay first (i.e. from the beginning) and issue one or two orders. Then load the savegame you want to load. It should work that way.
Remember, the meek shall inherit nothing. -- The Book of Cataclysm
sillup
Sniper
Sniper

Post by sillup » 2008-01-20, 19:56

Thank you for your answer.

I tried, but it is not working anyway...
Another strange issue is the fact that, when I want to save the game and I select an empty slot, I cannot use the backspace to cancel the "Empty slot No. XX" string (and therefore I can just add 2 characters, until I reach the maximum No. of characters...)

:?
sillup
Sniper
Sniper

Post by sillup » 2008-01-22, 19:49

nobody can help me?
(can you save/load the game?)
sillup
Sniper
Sniper

Post by sillup » 2008-01-29, 12:28

please...?

:cry:
CHYROS
General
General

Post by CHYROS » 2008-01-29, 12:34

Don't double post, let alone triple post, please. If no-one answers, it means no-one knows, unfortunately.
sillup
Sniper
Sniper

Post by sillup » 2008-01-29, 17:07

...but this means that savegame works for everybody?
(or that it DOESN'T work for everybody?)

:shock:
CHYROS
General
General

Post by CHYROS » 2008-01-29, 17:34

No, as I said, I can get it to work in a specific way, and others aren't affected at all. It's just that if someone would know a solution to your (specific) problem, they would've posted already. Posting another message (or two) isn't going to change that.
sillup
Sniper
Sniper

Post by sillup » 2008-01-29, 18:21

...I will have to wait for a new version of the Zexp patch!
:mrgreen:
knight
Grunt
Grunt

Post by knight » 2008-02-05, 17:50

Did you install the game to the recomended directory?
and just so I'm sure I know what's going on, you used Antares patch, correct?

...The first time I installed Z95 on XP with the antares patch, I couldn't save or load games (though Chyros' solution worked). I found that installing to the recomended directory solved the problem, and I could save and load without any problems.
sillup
Sniper
Sniper

Post by sillup » 2008-02-05, 18:36

No, I didn't install to the recommended directory, because I have a dedicated HD drive for games...

and Chyros's solution does not work... :(

...does anybody have the "completed levels" configuration files to upload? (because I find it difficult to go on further than level 22...)

thank you! :idiot:
CHYROS
General
General

Post by CHYROS » 2008-02-05, 20:01

sillup wrote:No, I didn't install to the recommended directory, because I have a dedicated HD drive for games...

and Chyros's solution does not work... :(

...does anybody have the "completed levels" configuration files to upload? (because I find it difficult to go on further than level 22...)

thank you! :idiot:
XStrategy wrote:You can press F3 in ZExp (Antares) and play any level you want. No need in savegames or changing configs.. :cheers:
:cheers:
sillup
Sniper
Sniper

Post by sillup » 2008-02-07, 18:31

Thanks! :D

I'm trying now!
8)
sillup
Sniper
Sniper

Post by sillup » 2008-02-07, 20:49

It's not working...
if I press F3 (either in the menu or inside a level) nothing happens...

Perhaps it is due to the fact that the patch (Antares v1.6) does not work either...: if I press "start game" nothing happens...

The only way to start the game is to launch the winz.exe file...

uraui
Sniper
Sniper

Post by uraui » 2008-02-07, 22:19

sillup wrote:Hi there everybody. :)

I'm new of this site and I have a problem with Z95, to be run on Windows xp SP2.

The game starts and I can play, but savegame doesn't work.
I tried downloading from this site the patch (v1.6) but it does nothing: I mean, if I execute it and I click on "start game", nothing happens.

Can you help me?

Thank you!
[edit] Gameplay
Unlike other traditional real-time strategy (RTS) games, collecting resources or building specific structures is unnecessary for creating an army. Instead, regions and structures within their borders are captured by moving troops to their respective flags. Also, instead of using resources to build units, constructing each unit requires a pre-set amount of time. The more regions are under the player's control, the less the time required. More powerful units take more time to construct.

The objective of the game is to eliminate the opponent by taking out their command Fort: either by sending a unit to enter it, or by destroying it directly. Alternatively, destroying all of the opponent's units immediately wins the game.

At the start of every mission, each side is given control of their Fort (the CPU) and a small group of units. A host of unmanned turrets and vehicles are usually scattered about the map and sending a robot to these will allow the player to add them to their army. However, the assigned robot will remain in the captured vehicle or turret as a pilot or a gunner.

The game is significantly different from others of its type: For example, vehicle drivers can take damage from enemy fire, and if the driver is destroyed, the vehicle they were commandeering will be unmanned and can be captured by either side. At the time of its release, Z was also noted for being more complex, intense, and challenging compared to other games of its time, like the original Command and Conquer, where the gameplay usually boiled down to tankrushing AIs showing a lack of aggression.

The game starts off with simple, symmetric levels where the CPU starts with roughly the same hardware as the player. As the game progresses, the levels become more complex, demanding more skill to control all units effectively, and the computer gains an advantage in starting units. For example, the CPU's fort usually has substantially more powerful guard turrets. The computer also gains more logistic advantages.

[edit] Worlds
Combat takes place on several planets, with 4 missions on each. When one is successfully captured, a space ship transports the robot army to another. Worlds are divided into the following types:

Desert: a dry, open and scarcely vegetated environment, in which units have little trouble moving around freely. The player encounters rivers and islands as they progress through the battles on this planet. Some territories are controlled by flags on islands.
Volcanic: a much more hostile environment. Lava flows are an impassable barrier.
Arctic: a frozen world of snow and ice spanned by glacial rock formations.
Jungle: a verdant world of menacing swamps and impenetrable chasms. Crocodiles in the swamps eat robots hanging around the mud.
City: a decaying industrial complex where danger lies around every corner. Sewer monsters ambush robots moving across water.

[edit] Versions
There are 2 versions for PC use, one for MS-DOS named Z and another one for Windows 95 named Z 95 & Expansion (that give Zeditor and Extension pack with additional challenging levels from 20 to 31. Each of these level are parallel; so 21 is the same kind as level 1 but with a bigger map and all Units available). The former used to require DOSBox (an open source MS-DOS emulator for various operating systems) to run on a modern Windows XP system.

Z PlayStation version cover.Ports for the PlayStation and Sega Saturn were released in 1997 and 1998 only in Europe. Both were handled by Krisalis Software and published by GT Interactive.

A workaround for Z95's incompatibility with Windows XP which allows Z95 to run on a Windows XP system without any form of emulation was posted on the ZZone forums. The workaround, named z95forXP, involves disabling some protected instructions in the Z95 executable and contains a custom installer since the original Z95 installer refuses to run under Windows XP. In the concerning forum thread the z95forXP workaround is also reported to work under Windows Vista. The concerning forum thread on the ZZone forums can be found here: Z95 for Windows XP without emulation

[edit] Difference between Z and Z 95

A screenshot of Zed (Dos version) using Dosbox for running the game under GNU/Linux Debian environment.There are few differences between the Z DOS version and the Z 95 version. Most of all Z 95 was made much more compatible with Windows 95 which was becoming more and more popular. Also some more levels were added to the so-called Expansion Kit. The Z DOS version has an interface for loading the game as its first step. In Z 95 the interface is still there but modified and is just a normal interface using APIs of Windows 95 without an eyecandy button. Z Dos version is much slower, which affects the game play, whereas the Z 95 version improves the speed and lets the game feel like a real time strategy field. Also, a few unit statistics were changed to improve the game's balance.

A Command & Conquer clone that was much less successful than it deserved, Z is as notable for being the only real-time strategy game from action game masters at Bitmap Brothers as being a very innovative title-- and very funny to boot.
Z was advertised as "the first game in the combat strategy genre to feature an advanced artificial intelligence system that reacts to the player's moves in real-time, not to a pre-set mission strategy". This means that the computer supposedly actually responds to the player's moves and changes its strategy accordingly. In reality, unfortunately, the game's AI is not that advanced, and often even makes silly mistakes. The game also contains some bugs, although none of which is game-stopping.

What sets Z apart from other C&C clones, though, is the great sense of humor that adds a lot of personality to the game. Featuring an army of crude cyborg soldiers, led by the order-barking Commander Zod, Z puts players on the front lines of a futuristic battle with an army of undisciplined, beer drinking robots with attitudes. You will dodge earth-shattering explosions, complete with shrapnel and flying debris, and forge through 20 levels of gameplay on five deadly planets while capturing the arms, factories and radar installations of your enemies.

Z includes a good number of multiplayer options, including serial or modem link, or with up to four players using the network-play feature. The single-player campaign is excellent, and features a lot of hilarious cutscenes and voices (unfortunately missing from this CD-rip version). Although the robots do not have distinct personalities as the mercenaries in Jagged Alliance do, they nevertheless are well-caricatured and always funny to watch in action. Overall, if you enjoy Cannon Fodder 2 or want a not-so-serious version of Command & Conquer, Z is a must-have. The game may not be the best real-time strategy game on the market, or the most challenging in terms of AI, but it's got more than enough personality and charm to keep you entertained. Recommended!

Note: Bitmap Brothers has informed us that, due to licensing arrangements, we cannot offer the game for download at present. Sorry for the inconvenience