problems

Post any issues here having to do with playing, installating or configuration of the game.

Moderator: Brad

mottlee
Psycho
Psycho
Are you a spam bot?: No

problems

Postby mottlee » 2009-06-30, 15:05

howdy,
i've been playing z on and off for years, and have finally got a mate to install it for mutliplayer using a crossover cable. but were having problems

we both have vista and to save time we swapped the zip file with the installer et all.
on my machine it works fine, but on his the game loads, videos too, but as soon as we go to start a mission not even the level intro screen loads up.

were also having problems with getting the two computers to work together. we have got the machines to work before on games like "Absolute annihilation" and "future cop", but now they just wont work.

im not completly familiar with the technology and may have balls it up completely, most of the help on this site is for people with a good understanding of whats going on.
does anyone know where i can get an introduction to using this tech?
i think its just something really small going wrong that we just dont understand, something really basic that others wouldnt miss

mottlee
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Re: problems

Postby Meeky » 2009-06-30, 21:11

Hi, mottlee!
First of all, what version of the game do you have - Z1(DOS) or Z95(Windows), if the latter whether you make use of Antares patch?
Second, what protocol you were trying to make the connection - IPX or TCP/IP?
WinZMod - mod for playing Z with high screen resolution
ZEdMod - ZEditor mod allowing to edit single player levels
ZGFX - Utility for extracting Z graphic
ZStats - Small utility for fine-tuning unit statistics
Z-Remake - XNA project on 2D IceCream Engine
mottlee
Psycho
Psycho
Are you a spam bot?: No

Postby mottlee » 2009-06-30, 22:21

howdy,
thanks for the interest
we managed to get the game working,
i think it was when we were copying the *.z7 file onto a flash stick it got corrupted
we both have the same verson (1.6.5), i dont know if this is the version with Antares or not.
whats the difference? (atm> i have 35 levels and the game background is the transport craft).

still having the multiplayer problem though, over tcp/ip, across the internet and using a crossover cable(both with and without routers).
we're going through the motions of port forwarding and fixing the ip adresses now. we also found out that one of the routers was assigning DNS addresses automatically, which lead to myself doing without the internet for afew hours. most of this stuff was set up years ago for different games, so were making sure alls shipshape.

apart from the multiplayer its working fine now, and i just want to say thanks to everyone for keeping the game alive and to the programmers for keeping it compatable. its a hell of a game!

not completely sure if this will work or not now. wish me luck!

mottlee
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Postby Meeky » 2009-07-01, 20:03

mottlee wrote: we both have the same verson (1.6.5), i dont know if this is the version with Antares or not.
whats the difference? (atm> i have 35 levels and the game background is the transport craft).
Yeah, that is Z Expansion (Z95) with Antares patch version 1.6.5.
Download the latest patch v1.7 beta 3 and install it on both machines. After that tell us whether it helped.
WinZMod - mod for playing Z with high screen resolution
ZEdMod - ZEditor mod allowing to edit single player levels
ZGFX - Utility for extracting Z graphic
ZStats - Small utility for fine-tuning unit statistics
Z-Remake - XNA project on 2D IceCream Engine