Another Main. pac FAIL :( Sorry

Post any issues here having to do with playing, installating or configuration of the game.

Moderator: Brad

lime666
Grunt
Grunt
Are you a spam bot?: No

Another Main. pac FAIL :( Sorry

Postby lime666 » 2010-07-30, 00:04

I've got the old version of Z and have been trying to get it running on XP. I followed the tutorial for dosbox from this forum but it still gives me the main.pac error!

after mounting the c drive and trying to load Z.exe it prompts me that I need to load it from Z.bat and so I do and it starts to load again and gives me the Main.pac error. Its infuriating.

My disk drive is D and I've changed the X to that on z.bat and the dosbox.conf file.

I don't know what to do :'(

Any help would be really appreciated
lil' T
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Another Main. pac FAIL :( Sorry

Postby lil' T » 2010-07-30, 16:08

Post the contents of your Z.bat and all lines in the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf respectively any commands you manually type before launching Z.
lime666
Grunt
Grunt

Postby lime666 » 2010-07-30, 22:04

z.bat

@Echo Please Wait - Loading ......
@ZED.EXE /CD:D %1 %2 %3 %4 %5

dosbox.conf

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

mount C C:\Games\z

mount D C:\Games\CD -t cdrom
C:

Dosbox commands

MOUNT C C:\Games\Z

C:

dir

Z.EXE

Z.BAT

(Then I get the main.pac error)
lil' T
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby lil' T » 2010-07-31, 09:51

This is actually a common problem (that should be stickied someday). You were trying to mount a folder, namely C:\Games\CD as a CD-ROM drive in DOSBox. However, Z does not fully support this mechanism and thus fails to find a required file. I have just tried it out and as far as I remember, this only works for a hacked version of Z, which I don't recommend to use.

You need to combine everything in the "CD" folder into an ISO file. For this task you can use this software, it can even be run without installing. Start it and select the "CD" folder where all the files from the CD are located. Then select an output file, e.g. "Z.iso" and press "Generate ISO". Alternatively if you have the real Z CD, you can simply use your preferred CD recording software to create an ISO from that.

Then, in place of this line:

Code: Select all

mount D C:\Games\CD -t cdrom
Use this:

imgmount D "C:\Games\CD\Z.iso" -t iso
Assuming the ISO contains all files from CD, you will never again have to worry about MAIN.PAC errors I guarantee. :cheers:
lime666
Grunt
Grunt

Postby lime666 » 2010-07-31, 17:33

Its still giving me the error :(

Should I be doing the dosbox commands differently aswell? I made an ISO from the actual disk because I have it and changed the txt on the dosbox.conf.

Sorry
lil' T
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby lil' T » 2010-07-31, 18:07

Your [autoexec] section in dosbox.conf should now look like this. No more, no less:

[autoexec]
mount C C:\Games\z
imgmount D "C:\Games\CD\Z.iso" -t iso
Make sure you change the second line to wherever the ISO is located for you.

Then all you have to do is launch DOSBox and type "C:" and then "Z" for the game to start. If you immediately get the main.pac error, this means the CD could not be found at all. It is also possible for this error to appear when starting a level, which is the case, when trying to use a directory as a CD drive.