Custom maps?

Ideas, technology and contributions to Z modifications

Moderator: Brad

The_Drummer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Custom maps?

Postby The_Drummer » 2006-12-14, 18:47

Ok, I've created a new map for Z multiplayer, but where do I put it in order to play it? Aaargh =[

Keep in mind I'm running it through DOSBox, can you not put custom maps on the normal Z?

Thanks =]
I'm afraid the server z game 2 is full. However, I have set up two more:-

For Z95 players ONLY!!!, use:
Name: Z95!
Password: Tom
For DOSBox-Z players ONLY!!!, use:
Name: DOSBox-Z!
Password: Tom
Have fun!
lumina
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby lumina » 2006-12-17, 01:03

Don't think so sorry.
"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
-- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)
CHYROS
General
General

Re: Custom maps?

Postby CHYROS » 2006-12-17, 02:17

The_Drummer wrote:Keep in mind I'm running it through DOSBox, can you not put custom maps on the normal Z?
I think I'd have found a way to do that by now if there were. With complex programming ir might be possible, but I haven't found any way of implementing custom maps into the old Z. I believe custom maps and map accesory files are in a different format as well, aren't they (.EXP I think)?
Remember, the meek shall inherit nothing. -- The Book of Cataclysm
BallWin
Major
Major

Postby BallWin » 2006-12-17, 13:29

CHYROS wrote: With complex programming ir might be possible, but I haven't found any way of implementing custom maps into the old Z. I believe custom maps and map accesory files are in a different format as well, aren't they (.EXP I think)?
EXP a service file ZEditor. The editor keeps each level in a separate folder - levela0, levela1 etc. The declensional endings of the name of folders consistently changes on a0, a1, a2... B0, b1, b2 etc. All files in folders change so.
ZEditor at preservation of a level creates in folders a standard set of files, same as in game levels. For example for a folder levela0:
- BRIDGEa0. DAT (information on bridges)
- BUILDa0. DAT (information on factories)
- CPUPLRa0. DAT (information on territories, AI, starting groups)
- LEVELa0. MAP (graphic data)
- OBJECTa0. DAT (objects - from cactus, up to free tanks)
- Levela0.exp (only specifies executable file ZEditor for a level"a0")

Knowing it, you can carry out original game levels in ZEditor. How it to make? Easily:
1. To create an empty level in ZEditor (if this first preservation, the data of a level will appear in a folder levela0).
2. We copy all files from a game level (is allowable, from LEVEL01) in a folder with a level ZEditor (is allowable, levela0).
3. We delete from a folder files ZEditor (BRIDGEa0, BUILDa0 and etc.) save levela0.exp.
4. We change name game levels. BRIDGE01, BUILD01 will become BRIDGEa0, BUILDa0 and etc. (01 is replaced on a0).

Now game level will be started in ZEditor.

It is possible to put game levels in an empty folder ZEditor (is allowable, levele0). In this case it is necessary to copy in a folder any file .exp.
To change the names in the text of a file .EXP (for a folder levele0 - "e0"). Then we work as was described above.
BallWin
Major
Major

Postby BallWin » 2006-12-20, 01:43

The_Drummer wrote:Ok, I've created a new map for Z multiplayer, but where do I put it in order to play it? Aaargh =[

Keep in mind I'm running it through DOSBox, can you not put custom maps on the normal Z?

Thanks =]
It is possible only in Z95 to use new multiplayer map received in ZEditor.
To connect a new level replace files in anyone of multiplayer level from game. For example, LEVEL56. Change end-title files on "56". Send a copy of this folder to the friends. You incorporate to them - instead first multiplayer level a will see your level.

\* It is necessary to check. I do not play multiplayer Z95 *\

No new levels from ZEditor can be connected to any versions Z1 (Z DOS, COOL, COOL XP).

==========================================

@CHYROS
It is necessary to move this theme to section of a forum "Z MOD".
Or it is necessary many times to answer identical questions ;)
CHYROS
General
General

Postby CHYROS » 2006-12-23, 20:14

BallWin wrote: @CHYROS
It is necessary to move this theme to section of a forum "Z MOD".
Hey, you're right. I'm amazed I didn't notice it before. Moving it now.
Remember, the meek shall inherit nothing. -- The Book of Cataclysm