Next-gen Z

Ideas, technology and contributions to Z modifications

Moderator: Brad

Electro
Pyro
Pyro

Postby Electro » 2007-07-09, 00:08

If i just edit the posts I'm not sure if people will realise there has been an update as the post count would not have gone up :S

As for the pin ring thing, most certainly can be a texture and that's preferable. I will replace is with a texture based one when it comes time to texturing.

I'm not as fast with texturing, but I'll get there! :)

which models do you want to see wireframes of? Or do you just mean all the models when I post pics to post wireframes too? Wireframes aren't of much use/interest to most people heh.
Electro
Pyro
Pyro

Postby Electro » 2007-07-09, 04:28

Another quick post, this time before lunch.... repair factory!

Most likely vehicle factory this afternoon :)

I know the models look pretty basic, but lots of details will be added with normalmaps etc. Should come out looking pretty good I reckon. Patience!

I plan on making the game functional before i go in with texturing etc. So it shouldn't be too long before I can start on code.
Ravey
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ravey » 2007-07-09, 05:20

Nice repair factory, i'd call your models anything but basic... I guess I have very different expectations.

Besides... Basic never means bad! I prefer my gaming to be low poly if that means that each polys are going to be put to good use. That's what i'd like to see for the units, something like LBA perhaps if you ever played those games...

At the moment i'm messing around to show my support. :)

Glad to hear that you'll be coding soon, looking forward to seeing more
Last edited by Ravey on 2007-12-31, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
buman
Major
Major

Postby buman » 2007-07-09, 10:22

so you have experience with modeling , texturing AND coding?!
But I think it?ll take you such a long time to do all this, won?t it?

@Ravey: I think it shouldn?t be too lowpoly...but also it should be to highpoly... I actually don?t like high-detailed graphics.
Electro
Pyro
Pyro

Postby Electro » 2007-07-09, 11:01

wooo! go Ravey go! :D Keep going dude

buman: yep :) I REALLY hope darkplaces can do everything I need, I'm really not up for coding my own engine but ultimately if that's what it comes down to, then unfortunately I'll have to do that or find a programmer to do it for me.
Electro
Pyro
Pyro

Postby Electro » 2007-07-09, 12:46

Sorry for so many new posts. For those who think it's too much don't worry I will most likely post less from now on.

Here's the vehicle factory, tomorrow I will make a tank, I won't post it though I will post once I have 3 tanks done.

Cheers :cheers:
Ravey
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ravey » 2007-07-09, 19:14

Electro wrote:Sorry for so many new posts. For those who think it's too much don't worry I will most likely post less from now on.

Here's the vehicle factory, tomorrow I will make a tank, I won't post it though I will post once I have 3 tanks done.

Cheers :cheers:
No need to appologise, your models are always interesting to see. :cheers:

Also, I messed around with my robot a bit but I think i'll work on original characters for practice first. :)
buman
Major
Major

Postby buman » 2007-07-09, 22:39

I do not have any experience in coding , but coding an own engine is a BIG thing , isnt it? oO
And please post new screens as far as you finished a new model , I?m always glad to see those :)
XStrategy
Major
Major

Postby XStrategy » 2007-07-10, 22:11

I do not have any experience in coding , but coding an own engine is a BIG thing , isnt it?
We are coding our own engine, it is very slow and hard but interesting process, because we can make anything that we want.

As I wrote in PM, Electro your work looks good! Good luck!
Z and only Z1
Electro
Pyro
Pyro

Postby Electro » 2007-07-10, 23:12

Thanks!

I started coding things, and I needed to make the flamethrower effect sprites etc. So I just went ahead and coded in the flamethrower itself (roughly for now, will tweak later)

The rest is still Quake for now, aside from the code base being stripped right back.

http://www.bendarling.net/z_mod/flamethrower_test.jpg

Tonight I will be starting on some AI stuff, a lot of the code is in place now, but I should have dudes I can give orders to and they will run across the terrain etc within a few days. They will be smarter with navigating than the Z ones, which isn't necessarily a bad thing is it? ;)
Ravey
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ravey » 2007-07-11, 21:52

Nice effect, reminds me of the amazing firework/explosion effects that Kingpin had for its time.
buman
Major
Major

Postby buman » 2007-07-22, 01:22

so...is this project already dead?
Ravey
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ravey » 2007-07-22, 01:31

buman wrote:so...is this project already dead?
Not dead yet. I've talked to him on MSN and he told me what he has been working on and shown me a few things too, but i'll leave it up to him to post when he feels he's made substancial progress in terms of making the game playable.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed, anyways.
Electro
Pyro
Pyro

Postby Electro » 2007-07-22, 01:54

Yeah I've already written a couple of thousand lines worth of code. Lots of groundwork is in place for the robot units now, including early navigation stuff (which also includes automatic understand of the levels on their part). The camera code is all done and has analog style behaviour near the perimeters of the screen allowing fairly smooth movement to move about the terrain. Currently I can select a single robot unit and click on a section of terrain and he will navigate there (he's still using standard quake assets for now).

Today I will actually most likely be making a decent start on the grunt... here's what I came up with after mucking around a little yesterday so far..

You will notice the grunt looks slightly different to the original design, you will see this more and more as I show progress of the character. Attempting to modernize the design, as well as make the units on the ground have a more unique silhouette so that they can be easily distinguished and have more character.

Far from dead, methinks anyways ;)
Ravey
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ravey » 2007-07-22, 02:06

That's amazing, i'm really looking forward to seeing what you can come up with. As for the model, it's looks accurate to me, the lighting even reminds of how the sprites were shaded in the original game. Hope it translates nicely over to the Quake engine.