Mod UT2004 back to Z

Ideas, technology and contributions to Z modifications

Moderator: Brad

CHYROS
General
General

Mod UT2004 back to Z

Post by CHYROS » 2006-03-01, 04:06

I just came up with the idea that Z could quite easily (to some degree) be put in Unreal Tournament 2004; the Onslaught game type could be a basic engine for it. The nodes could be the flags; and the nodes would spawn what the respective factories in Z would spawn.

High-level vehicle factories would spawn tanks, for instance, while 1-star ones would only spawn jeeps. Mid-level ones could spawn Hellbenders, which mimic the APC quite well. Robot factories could be simply weapon pickups; a 3-star robot factory node could spawn a sniper rifle, rocket launcher and some basic tools, for instance. The Z levels would only have to be remade in UnrealEd. In the end, a new mod may even be developed (if there's someone willing and able to do it).

I have a small amount of experience with mapping in UT2004, but I don't understand how to make terrains (that's outdoor-maps) nor have I actually made a serious map yet.

Well, that was just my two cents.
Remember, the meek shall inherit nothing. -- The Book of Cataclysm
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2006-03-08, 02:48

Great idea. :D
nuFFi
Sniper
Sniper

Post by nuFFi » 2006-03-27, 23:15

yeah, a ut2004 mod would be realy great. but you need many good mappers, programmers aso. and it would take SOME TIME.
BERSERK3R
Captain
Captain

Post by BERSERK3R » 2006-07-16, 14:51

Hey Guys, long time no see! :cheers:
Checked the site again yesterday and see if there was any good news, and there was, and also the site got a new look, very nice.

Then I noticed this topic and because I'm working on a mod I'm getting the hang of working in 3dsMAX and now I'm working on a head of a psycho (not sure if its brad or allan) to start with.

I always wanted to model a Z robot but I didn't have the skills but if I had I would definately have made some robots, but now I have some basic knowlege and skills of MAX I tought let's try modeling a head first.

I'll keep you guys posted if I got something good ;)

If you like to help me, by giving tips or profiding me with some good ref pics, I'd be very pleased!
Zod
Admin General
Admin General
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Zod » 2006-07-16, 18:18

Hi there,

I am not famaliar with UT modding but I am a fan of UT and UT2004. I thinks it would be a great Z derivate.

Best regards,
Zod
lumina
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by lumina » 2006-07-21, 21:08

I say use RTC wolfenstein insted. It uses Quake, plus wolfenstein already has lower and raising flags on the game. There is a MP map that works like Z too one team has to get all the flags to win. Other wise battle last forever. lol Each side has a bunker in which = fort in center on their side. lol kind of ironic I think.
CHYROS
General
General

Post by CHYROS » 2006-07-22, 14:11

lumina wrote:I say use RTC wolfenstein insted. It uses Quake, plus wolfenstein already has lower and raising flags on the game. There is a MP map that works like Z too one team has to get all the flags to win. Other wise battle last forever. lol Each side has a bunker in which = fort in center on their side. lol kind of ironic I think.
I dunno, as far as I can remember there's no vehicles in RTCW, let alone spawn nodes. I really can't remember if there's a map editor, but if there's not, it might become a little difficult :lol: . Anyway, my eye fell on UT2004 because it would not require actual "modding", just themed maps. Of course I would play ANY game if it had a Z mod ;) .
BallWin
Commander
Commander

Re: Mod UT2004 back to Z

Post by BallWin » 2008-06-09, 13:14

CHYROS wrote:I just came up with the idea that Z could quite easily (to some degree) be put in Unreal Tournament
The history repeats 8)

2002 year :wink:
CHYROS
General
General

Post by CHYROS » 2008-06-10, 00:29

^ Heyyyy, you made that yourself? :O
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2008-06-10, 01:35

Hey BallWin
Where can I get that map?
BallWin
Commander
Commander

Post by BallWin » 2008-06-12, 14:28

CHYROS wrote:^ Heyyyy, you made that yourself? :O
The idea has arisen in 2002 -- the mod Z for UT.
Was building:
-- Architecture of a fort - interior: rooms, lifts, pedestrian subway, still
-- Respawn point
-- Half-finished map: 2 forts (blue and red)
-- No final texture
-- No new models
-- No new kinds of the weapon

As it turned out:
-- A matter of time - to move up to a fort of an enemy 5-6 seconds (on the largest map)
-- It is impossible to establish sequence and type units in respawn point
-- The structure UT does not allow to introduce gameplay Z

It not Z. It only new card for UT - no other.
No any causality with Z except for similar buildings.
It is not interesting.

It would be possible to use for this purpose Battlefied 2. However test in 2005 has given negative result. The reason - all soldiers immediately died on start of respawn point(except player). And it is constant.
BF2 Editor has not allowed to create single maps (in 2005).
The comrades from Germany can be know about it more now ;)
KISSMAD wrote:Hey BallWin
Yes, the initial variant for original UT was kept.
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2008-06-13, 09:23

BallWin wrote:
KISSMAD wrote:Hey BallWin
Yes, the initial variant for original UT was kept.
So where can I download the map from, please.
BallWin
Commander
Commander

Post by BallWin » 2008-06-13, 10:28

KISSMAD wrote:So where can I download the map from, please.
No problems. The building archive lays here.
buman
Major
Major

Post by buman » 2008-06-16, 00:03

Hi guys. I haven't been posting in this forums since god knows when cause somehow the interesting topics are ... dead.
Still this IS interesting.
I just asked myself: What would be the perfect game to base for a Z modification on?
And: Why would anybody think the easiest way to create such a mod would be to take an ego shooter as the mod's base?

And here's my idea:
You should create a mod for a strategy-game, since Z itself is one.
The last strategy-game with a nice editor and a complex trigger-system was WarCraft 3.
And as a matter of fact it would be possible to create a Z mod for WC3 (the triggers sure would allow that) BUT:
Blizzard will soon release StarCraft 2, I think spring '09 (my forecast, could also be later) which will contain an editor such as WarCraft 3, maybe more complex. The whole thing would be pretty easy to manage:

1.I'd learn how to use the editor (I already have the WC3 basics plus I do know someone who perfectly knows the old trigger system) and create a map that only includes the basics of Z ( 2 forts , some buildings, time instead of resources, etc), but no new models or textures - then again I sure could modify some units, making their damage and abilities more similar to Z unit's ones.

2.Then - if someones interested - this person could do some models and textures so that I can just replace it.
Some modelers are active in this forums I think. And I know some in other forums and stuff.

3.What follows then is some beta-testing, some more maps and buying some rocket fuel to get through the night playing a new version of Z ;)

What do you say?
CHYROS
General
General

Post by CHYROS » 2008-06-16, 20:54

I'd probably be able to help in beta testing, but I have no modding skills to speak of. Very few existing RTS engines would support the unique Z gameplay mechanic, I think, though.