Ideas, technology and contributions to Z modifications

Moderator: Brad

KISSMAD
General
General

Re: Mod UT2004 back to Z

Postby KISSMAD » 2008-06-17, 08:52

BallWin wrote:
KISSMAD wrote:So where can I download the map from, please.
No problems. The building archive lays here.
I've followed the instructions but everytime I try to load the file into UE3.0 it crashed the program.
BallWin
Major
Major

Postby BallWin » 2008-06-18, 10:01

buman wrote:I just asked myself: What would be the perfect game to base for a Z modification on?
And: Why would anybody think the easiest way to create such a mod would be to take an ego shooter as the mod's base?
Answers:
?) Z Steel Soldiers :)
?) Because the similar games in 3D-isometric view exist: DW 40000, Space Rangers etc (Z Steel Soldiers? You bet!). Nothing much.
KISSMAD wrote: I've followed the instructions but everytime I try to load the file into UE3.0 it crashed the program.
Ok. I shall try to find UE3.0 and I shall check.
BERSERK3R
Captain
Captain

Postby BERSERK3R » 2008-07-20, 18:10

buman wrote:Hi guys. I haven't been posting in this forums since god knows when cause somehow the interesting topics are ... dead.
Still this IS interesting.
I just asked myself: What would be the perfect game to base for a Z modification on?
And: Why would anybody think the easiest way to create such a mod would be to take an ego shooter as the mod's base?

And here's my idea:
You should create a mod for a strategy-game, since Z itself is one.
The last strategy-game with a nice editor and a complex trigger-system was WarCraft 3.
And as a matter of fact it would be possible to create a Z mod for WC3 (the triggers sure would allow that) BUT:
Blizzard will soon release StarCraft 2, I think spring '09 (my forecast, could also be later) which will contain an editor such as WarCraft 3, maybe more complex. The whole thing would be pretty easy to manage:

1.I'd learn how to use the editor (I already have the WC3 basics plus I do know someone who perfectly knows the old trigger system) and create a map that only includes the basics of Z ( 2 forts , some buildings, time instead of resources, etc), but no new models or textures - then again I sure could modify some units, making their damage and abilities more similar to Z unit's ones.

2.Then - if someones interested - this person could do some models and textures so that I can just replace it.
Some modelers are active in this forums I think. And I know some in other forums and stuff.

3.What follows then is some beta-testing, some more maps and buying some rocket fuel to get through the night playing a new version of Z ;)

What do you say?
I brought up this idea a long time ago for the Dawn of war engine.
This game is perfect for a Z mod.

If there's a game that's most perfect for a Z mod then to me its definately "Dawn of War".
I am also working on a Zod model, and when its done it could be used in UT.
But we devvers should get together and work on something nice!
I've got modeling/uv/animating/skinning skills, so who's with me?
buman
Major
Major

Postby buman » 2008-07-28, 03:07

well i guess i am ;)
i'll go get dawn of war.
but i'm not quite sure how it's editor works and if it is possible to modify it as much as we'd need to.
BERSERK3R
Captain
Captain

Postby BERSERK3R » 2008-07-28, 05:18

buman wrote:well i guess i am ;)
i'll go get dawn of war.
but i'm not quite sure how it's editor works and if it is possible to modify it as much as we'd need to.
Well if you have any questions about it ill be happy to answer it.
I was working on a Terminator (as in the movie) mod and it looks so very awesome!