Discussions, requests and appeals to lay open the Z source code

Moderator: Brad

DaMarkov
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-02-03, 23:45

Ahh, I see what you mean.This is due to an rounding error. The tiles are 16x16 pixel in size. If you zoom in they might have to be displayed on a rectangle of size 43x43 or some weird number.
And floating point numbers are used everywhere, so it's an artifact due too zooming and floating point numbers.
With that said, it's only really noticeable if you play in low resolution mode and zoom quite far in.

I might fix this small glitch at some time. I think in the Zod engine textures coord are defined so they wrap around instead of using clamp mode (or whatever it's called in OpenGL, I'm more of an DirectX guy).
DaMarkov
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-02-04, 01:09

I re-enabled the chat system of the Zod engine. The Zod engine uses the player's team color as the color for the chat messages.
At least it's implemented, but I think never used in the builts I have seen.

I tried to replicate this, however some colors like blue and green are hard to read, so I added a semi transparent background.

Here is a test video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9tKx9p ... e=youtu.be

What do you think??
APC
Corporal
Corporal

Post by APC » 2019-02-05, 23:04

DaMarkov, first of all I appreciate very much your and Ballwins revival of developement of Zod Engine.
I playtested the ZED Online v.0.1.2. Here are few issues.

The minimap is visible on different place of screen as it reacts. In all resolutions it reacts in the grey field below visible minimap. Using software renderer the minimap flashes and changes position.

The mode without OpenGL renderer is much slower (in ZED Online). In ZOD Engine there is almost none difference during gameplay on my laptop.

The mode with OpenGL renderer has border squares on mountains mentoined by BallWin (minor issue). I appreciate very much the F5 hotkey to switch renderer and F8 hotkey to switch resolution.

The SHIFT add waipoint works only till other units are not selected. When I reselect after few seconds again units performing their "SHIFT patch", waipoint is not added but it starts creating new waipoints sequence.

Robots leaving factory unstacked - but when waipoint is made from factory they travel all the patch stacked (issue also in Zod Engine - but remains not solved).

During F5 renderer switching in Local Multiplayer or local game and also after end of game I need to ALT+TAB, otherwise I see blank screen. On DaMarkov server I didn't experienced this issue.

There is no time to prepare for battle (similar as in original Z, but different from Zod Engine). At least 5-10 seconds would be nice.
DaMarkov
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-02-06, 03:51

APC wrote:
2019-02-05, 23:04
DaMarkov, first of all I appreciate very much your and Ballwins revival of developement of Zod Engine.
I playtested the ZED Online v.0.1.2. Here are few issues.
Thanks a lot playing and more importantly thank you for reporting these issues!
With more features being added it gets harder in harder to test everything, so thanks to everyone who is posting here!
APC wrote:
The minimap is visible on different place of screen as it reacts. In all resolutions it reacts in the grey field below visible minimap. Using software renderer the minimap flashes and changes position.
I believe this is the same bug as KISSMAD reported a few days ago. Already fixed, will be rolled out in v0.1.3.
APC wrote:
The mode without OpenGL renderer is much slower (in ZED Online). In ZOD Engine there is almost none difference during gameplay on my laptop.
Yeah, I also noticed this yesterday when I started the original Zod engine (without my modifications).
I think in SDL mode hardware acceleration was enabled and when I ported the code to SDL 2 this got lost.
I will make this a priority to fix!
APC wrote:
The mode with OpenGL renderer has border squares on mountains mentoined by BallWin (minor issue). I appreciate very much the F5 hotkey to switch renderer and F8 hotkey to switch resolution.
Looked into it. Made a hotfix: https://sourceforge.net/p/zedonline/cod ... 11d4fcbe7/
I initially wanted to fix this when I release the zoom feature, but I think I will now delay new graphical features and concentrate more on fixing what's already there.
APC wrote:
The SHIFT add waipoint works only till other units are not selected. When I reselect after few seconds again units performing their "SHIFT patch", waipoint is not added but it starts creating new waipoints sequence.
Hmm, I can't reproduce that. Do you use Starcraft controls or ZOD controls?
What steps do I have to take to reproduce this bug exactly?
APC wrote:
Robots leaving factory unstacked - but when waipoint is made from factory they travel all the patch stacked (issue also in Zod Engine - but remains not solved).
Good point. I will change the behavior. currently, all 3 robots need the reach the waypoint until they go to the next waypoint.
I will change it so that only the leader need to reach the waypoint and the minions need to be close to the waypoint.

Good catch! This is on example of the many bugs I would have never seen!!
APC wrote:
During F5 renderer switching in Local Multiplayer or local game and also after end of game I need to ALT+TAB, otherwise I see blank screen. On DaMarkov server I didn't experienced this issue.
Does this happen every time you press F5? This should be independent of beeing in a local/network/online game (it"s all running the same code).
Or does this only happen during transition to the "end game screen"?
APC wrote:
There is no time to prepare for battle (similar as in original Z, but different from Zod Engine). At least 5-10 seconds would be nice.
There are actually 5 seconds to prepare, but the Zod engine is quite unable to tell when it has finished receiving the map, so it might be a few second less in reality.
I will increase to time. This should also be mitigated when the "default units" feature we discussed last time is completed.

Thanks again to anyone who has posted here. You are all improving the game!
I will try to get a preview version of the map editor ready, so people who would like to design new maps can tell want kind of features they want.
APC
Corporal
Corporal

Post by APC » 2019-02-06, 17:20

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-02-06, 03:51
In fact without appropriate programming skills we can just suffer annoying bugs or discrepancies unable to repair it, until some skilled programmer will fix it. But I understand your point. It is too much playtesting for one person.
DaMarkov wrote:
Does this happen every time you press F5? This should be independent of beeing in a local/network/online game (it"s all running the same code).

You are right, today it is regular also in online game, not only in local_LAN or singleplayer. It is only in fullscreen mode. The blank screen (needed ALT-TAB) appears only during F5 switching from HW_acceleration to software renderer. Also when trying starting the game with software renderer in fullscreen the transition to map is via blank screen and ALT-TAB. So the transition OpenGL -> software renderer in fullscreen causes trouble.
DaMarkov wrote:
Good point. I will change the behavior. currently, all 3 robots need the reach the waypoint until they go to the next waypoint.
I will change it so that only the leader need to reach the waypoint and the minions need to be close to the waypoint.

That bug is annoying because robots traveling from factory to waypoints in the same square are all damaged by full impact of shell during combat. Without bug e.g. at least one pyros should survive, because different position during explosion.

For the SHIFT add-waypoint bug I used ZOD control system. It is easily to reproduce. Everytime when dashed line informing about intended paths of robots dissapears and you select this unit again and SHIFT+click to add waypoint, it will be the first and the only one waypoint.
DaMarkov
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-02-08, 02:16

APC wrote:
2019-02-06, 17:20
DaMarkov wrote:
In fact without appropriate programming skills we can just suffer annoying bugs or discrepancies unable to repair it, until some skilled programmer will fix it. But I understand your point. It is too much playtesting for one person.
It definitely is too much. I also currently don't have access to a lot of PCs to test the game on.
APC wrote:
DaMarkov wrote:

You are right, today it is regular also in online game, not only in local_LAN or singleplayer. It is only in fullscreen mode. The blank screen (needed ALT-TAB) appears only during F5 switching from HW_acceleration to software renderer. Also when trying starting the game with software renderer in fullscreen the transition to map is via blank screen and ALT-TAB. So the transition OpenGL -> software renderer in fullscreen causes trouble.
It tried it a lot, but I can't reproduce it. So, settings are 800x600, software renderer. I open the game, go so single player, press ALT+F5 for fullscreen, click on level 1.
Press F5 to transition to OpenGL. But everyting is fine on my end. I tried with different solutions, with and without cinemas, with and without cinema files.
It worked every time for me. I will try tomorrow on a different PC.
APC wrote:
DaMarkov wrote:

That bug is annoying because robots traveling from factory to waypoints in the same square are all damaged by full impact of shell during combat. Without bug e.g. at least one pyros should survive, because different position during explosion.

It's actually much harder to change this than I anticipated. In the new version they should be a little more spread out.
APC wrote:
For the SHIFT add-waypoint bug I used ZOD control system. It is easily to reproduce. Everytime when dashed line informing about intended paths of robots dissapears and you select this unit again and SHIFT+click to add waypoint, it will be the first and the only one waypoint.
This is actually not a bug, but the intended behavior. The ZOD controls mimic the controls of the original Zod engine. You want to use the "Starcraft controls"

I started to write a new renderer that uses SDL with hardware acceleration. Turns out the new one has the same performance as the old SDL renderer, so hardware acceleration has been enabled all along. The difference in performance is due to the fact that I upscale the entire image.
I tried SDL rotozoom, but the performance there is actually even worse.
So I decided to add another screen mode that doesn't do any upscaling. With that I get about 100 FPS on a laptop, but the user has to exactly specify the resolution.

Apart from that and bug fixes I worked on the map editor and preview images for the maps.
I complete the conversion of the original two player maps from Z DOS. Why doesn't the Zod engine actually include all the two player maps?
APC
Corporal
Corporal

Post by APC » 2019-02-08, 08:16

I experience the ""F5 -> blank screen" bug on all three screen resolutions. Checkbox in yellow mwnu "Start in fullscreen"" is ON. Native resolution of my laptop is 1920x1080. It appears only during transition from OpenGL to Software renderer, not vise versa. Also if I quit game during gameplay using MENU, the map gets frozen, the mouse curor changes sprite to common window's arrow and I need to ALT+TAB to reach the yellow MENU.

In my Zod Engine there is 20 original Z_DOS 1vs1 maps and 15 additional original 1vs1 maps. Which other 2 players maps do you mean??

The SHIFT+click ads waypoint only till the unit is selected. Try this (in ZOD command system):
Select unit, hold SHIFT and right-click two waypoints. Leftclick to empty ground to deselect unit. Leftclick again the unit walking according to waypoints, hold SHIFT and left-click two waypoints. This waypoints should be added to previous two, so there should be 4 waypoints. But the last 2 waypoints are now the only one waypoints, brand new waypoints.
DaMarkov
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-02-08, 19:25

APC wrote:
2019-02-08, 08:16
I experience the ""F5 -> blank screen" bug on all three screen resolutions. Checkbox in yellow mwnu "Start in fullscreen"" is ON. Native resolution of my laptop is 1920x1080. It appears only during transition from OpenGL to Software renderer, not vise versa. Also if I quit game during gameplay using MENU, the map gets frozen, the mouse curor changes sprite to common window's arrow and I need to ALT+TAB to reach the yellow MENU.
I finally can reproduce this bug!!
So this seems to happen at 1080p resolution (in Windows), but only if "scale and layout" in Windows 10 is set to 100%. Starting in windowed mode and pressing ALT+RETURN already causes a black screen.

So first of all, I fixed this black screen in menu a few minutes ago. However, when pressing F5 in-game I still got a black screen.
I took me a few hours to figure this out. This seems to be driver issue (I am testing this on an AMD card in a laptop).
Solution: Open "Radeon Settings", click on "Perferences". This opens "Radeon Additional Settings". I changed the power profile for "ZED Online.exe" from "Not assigned" to "high performance". This resolved the issue for me.

So, this bug seems to be caused by multiple things. I changed some of my code to make the bug less likely, but the main culprit are the shitty OpenGL drivers of AMD.
@APC: I hope you also have an AMD card. If this issue also appears with Nvidias OpenGl drivers I will go crazy ...
APC wrote:
In my Zod Engine there is 20 original Z_DOS 1vs1 maps and 15 additional original 1vs1 maps. Which other 2 players maps do you mean??
When i downloaded the Zod engine I got:

p02_bb_origXY.map the 35 single player maps of Z DOS and Z 95.
p03_bb_p03mXY.map 10 three player maps from Z DOS and Z 95
p04_bb_p04mXY.map 10 four player maps from Z DOS and Z 95
+ 2 custom 8 player maps

Z DOS has:
20 singe player maps + 16 multiplayer maps:

multiplayer for 2 players: 6 maps: desert, volcanic, arctic, jungle, city 1, city 2
multiplayer for 3 players: 5 maps: desert, volcanic, arctic, jungle, city
multiplayer for 4 players: 5 maps: desert, volcanic, arctic, jungle, city

Z95 has:
15 single player maps + I think 15 multiplayer maps (5 for 2 players, 5 for 3 players, 5 for 4 players).

In conclusion: 11 maps are missing in the Zod engine right?? (The two player maps from Z DOS and Z95).
I few days ago I finished "conversion" of the 6 two player maps from Z DOS. I will include them in the next version of ZED Online.

Did I make a mistake? I was also wondering why these maps seems to be missing. Is there a version of Zod engine that does have these maps?

@BallWin In my archive I found a map you map called "Happy new year". I downloaded the map in April 2008.
I will convert the map into the Zod format and would like to publish the converted map together with ZED Online eventually. I this OK for you?

APC wrote:
The SHIFT+click ads waypoint only till the unit is selected. Try this (in ZOD command system):
Select unit, hold SHIFT and right-click two waypoints. Leftclick to empty ground to deselect unit. Leftclick again the unit walking according to waypoints, hold SHIFT and left-click two waypoints. This waypoints should be added to previous two, so there should be 4 waypoints. But the last 2 waypoints are now the only one waypoints, brand new waypoints.
In the original Zod engine the two old waypoints get deleted and you end up with the two new waypoints.
In ZED Online with Zod controls the same happens.
In ZED Online with Stracraft controls the two new waypoints get added and you end up with 4 waypoints.

APC wrote:
This waypoints should be added to previous two, so there should be 4 waypoints.
I agree that this is how it _should_ be. But my version of Zod engine doesn't do that, so the "Zod controls" in ZED Online also doesn't add waypoints.
Or is there a version of the Zod engine where waypoints get added?

Bottom line is: the Zod controls are awful ^^ use the Starcraft controls :-)
BallWin
Commander
Commander

Post by BallWin » 2019-02-08, 20:47

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-02-08, 19:25
@BallWin In my archive I found a map you map called "Happy new year". I downloaded the map in April 2008.
I will convert the map into the Zod format and would like to publish the converted map together with ZED Online eventually. I this OK for you?
Yes, indeed. :cheers:
APC
Corporal
Corporal

Post by APC » 2019-02-09, 09:42

DaMarkov wrote:
@APC: I hope you also have an AMD card. If this issue also appears with Nvidias OpenGl drivers I will go crazy ...
The laptop is DELL Latitude E7440 Intel® Core™ i5-4200U (1.60 GHz) / 14" FHD LED / Intel HD 4400 / RAM 8GB. An you are right I use scaling 100%.

DaMarkov wrote:
I agree that this is how it _should_ be. But my version of Zod engine doesn't do that, so the "Zod controls" in ZED Online also doesn't add waypoints.
I didn't try the Starcraft controls as for now. I need to be used for Zod control because sometimes I play game on Nighsoft server and some opponents there are fast and smart.
It is only minor bug. You wrote the add_waypoint was improved without elaborating it, so I only reported for Zod control it doesn't work for me.
BallWin
Commander
Commander

Post by BallWin » 2019-02-10, 20:18

@APC good and important work :cheers:
// ----------------------------------------------------------
Today I did spend some exhausting hours on the file JV decoder. The job was harder than I expected.
The description of the file format on the Wiki is written with errors. The header size is incorrect. In the end, me managed to write the processing in C++. But I made a mistake somewhere with the calculations. Frames are displayed incorrectly so far.
ImageImage
APC
Corporal
Corporal

Post by APC » 2019-02-10, 20:41

DaMarkov, you should also fix software renderer at least to the state of Zod Engine. Because I tried Zod Engine on two old laptops - WinXP, Dual Core or similar, none 3D graphic card and in OpenGL mode it doesn't start, but without OpenGL the Zod Engine runs fast and completely without problems there. Similar as on 64-bit Win10, 8GB RAM laptop.
The old "Z" was also capable to run on almost every hardware. Old 80486 processor was able to run it fast on 640x480, I think.
DaMarkov
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-02-11, 01:15

APC wrote:
2019-02-10, 20:41
DaMarkov, you should also fix software renderer at least to the state of Zod Engine. Because I tried Zod Engine on two old laptops - WinXP, Dual Core or similar, none 3D graphic card and in OpenGL mode it doesn't start, but without OpenGL the Zod Engine runs fast and completely without problems there. Similar as on 64-bit Win10, 8GB RAM laptop.
The old "Z" was also capable to run on almost every hardware. Old 80486 processor was able to run it fast on 640x480, I think.
Already done :-) In the next version there will be a screen mode called "direct copy" which will bypass any sort of upscaling. With that enabled I get about 100 FPS on my laptop.
The downside is that the user has the specify the exact resolution.

I currently have some trouble uploading code to sourceforge, so the last two days of work are not uploaded yet. I hope this will be resolved soon.
I should still be able to upload releases, so v0.1.3 will be released on Friday regardless.

@BallWin Great to hear from you. Looks like there are only minor bugs, but the decoder seems to be 90% finished. Great job!!

EDIT: Just as a sidenote since I drove me crazy for an hour: Settings the application in the Raedon driver settings to "max performance" kills all the cutscense (audio works but no picture).
I imagine the same could happen with onboard Intel graphics. I can't wait to switch to Ballwin's codec implementation, this drives me nuts.
APC
Corporal
Corporal

Post by APC » 2019-02-11, 13:02

Perfect, I will play few levels in ZED Online v 0.1.3 on weekend.

DaMarkov, nice you didn't gave up your coding effort after one month since the start. I hope you will be avaliable for some minor bug-fix also in the end of 2019.
In factory a lot of operators find some unbelievable bugs in visualisation or control-program by everyday use e.g. a year after implementing the program. It is possible some annoying bugs will be discovered in ZED Online one year after your release of the first stable version.
It seems you have already >60% of the ZOD Engine remake done.
DaMarkov
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-02-11, 13:41

APC wrote:
2019-02-11, 13:02
Perfect, I will play few levels in ZED Online v 0.1.3 on weekend.

DaMarkov, nice you didn't gave up your coding effort after one month since the start. I hope you will be avaliable for some minor bug-fix also in the end of 2019.
In factory a lot of operators find some unbelievable bugs in visualisation or control-program by everyday use e.g. a year after implementing the program. It is possible some annoying bugs will be discovered in ZED Online one year after your release of the first stable version.
It seems you have already >60% of the ZOD Engine remake done.
I certainly hope so. At some point there will be a downtime, but for now my motivation is still very high.
>60%? that's generous :-) To me, it feels more like about 20%. There are still sooo many things I would like to reimplement.
For now I will stick with the "one release every two weeks" schedule until at least 0.1.5.
Afterwards, I might take some more time (i.e. 3 or 4 weeks) for version 0.2.
Or I will develop 0.2 and in parallel do bugfixes to the 0.1.X branch. I have not decided yet.