Discussions, requests and appeals to lay open the Z source code

Moderator: Brad

Monochrome
Grunt
Grunt
Are you a spam bot?: No

The Zod Engine needs your help!

Postby Monochrome » 2012-01-27, 14:37

Folks, as some of you may know, the Zod Engine ceased development a while ago, because Freaknigh couldn't find the time to complete it. However this doesn't mean we should leave the project as it is! Zod Engine is our best chance at finally having a free, open source Z clone that can be played by everyone in every system. The good news is, all there is left to do is to iron out some bugs and create a more pratical user interface. To make sure it's wortwhile, however, we need your support. Even if you don't have programming skills, please show us that you are interested in seeing this project come to a happy conclusion. Join us at the Zod Engine forums and leave a message at this thread. If we manage to round up a good amount of people I just might be able to convince a programmer friend of mine to finish this for us. If, on the other hand, you're a programmer, this is your time to shine! Freaknigh already offered his support and advice to anyone interested to take on development.
guyverthree
Psycho
Psycho

Re: The Zod Engine needs your help!

Postby guyverthree » 2015-09-11, 17:41

I am looking at compiling the open source version from Freaknigh.

So far i have gotten most of the library's that i think I need and have build environments for Linux and Windows.

If anyone has any hints or tips they wish to dispense I would love to hear them.
Rutz
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Rutz » 2015-12-05, 13:36

Yo!

So we've got some decent source code, thanks to FreakNigh.
And lots of assets, thanks to the other contributors. :)

I had a look in through some of the forum threads, I was looking for a thread on how to take the source and compile a version.

I'm not familiar with SDL references, I'm more of a C# .Net Web Forms developer.
So it would be really helpful if someone could take 10min just to knock up a "How to".

Something that explained some of the following (for dummies)

Get your self some kind of C++ complier or IDE
Get the source code from sourceForge
Install the SDL external references
Load files into complier
Compile
Run exe

I'm not really interested in ending up with multiple versions of the same game, but I wanted to have a bit of a fiddle. maybe even see if I could contribute.
I'm not here to take control of the Z-engine project, I'm just very curious as I use to play this franchise.
I just need a leg up on getting the project compiling on my machine.

Rutz
bilbo
Grunt
Grunt

Postby bilbo » 2017-06-02, 01:06

Is anyone still interested in finishing the Zod Engine? It could be such an awesome game if just a few things were ironed out...