Discussions, requests and appeals to lay open the Z source code

Moderator: Brad

Ryske
Psycho
Psycho
Are you a spam bot?: No

Something new

Post by Ryske » 2019-03-02, 03:13

so just ;thonking; ... how hard is it to add new units or strucutres to Z or zod engine ....if i would like to add bunkers (static structures wich work like APC) or howitzer tanks ( basically "repair tank" with howitzer cannon, wich shoots light tank ammunition to long disance) is that plausible somehow? ... or a watch tower bunker for longer shooting distance when occupied by droids... etc other stuff... how far i could i go? ... unfortunally i suck at coding, but my main thing is sprite art work... heres a sneak peek of 2 hours of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgj5N_nZUvw
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Re: Something new.

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-03-02, 09:39

Ryske wrote:
2019-03-02, 03:13
so just ;thonking; ... how hard is it to add new units or strucutres to Z or zod engine ....if i would like to add bunkers (static structures wich work like APC) or howitzer tanks ( basically "repair tank" with howitzer cannon, wich shoots light tank ammunition to long disance) is that plausible somehow? ... or a watch tower bunker for longer shooting distance when occupied by droids... etc other stuff... how far i could i go? ... unfortunally i suck at coding, but my main thing is sprite art work... heres a sneak peek of 2 hours of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgj5N_nZUvw
Hi, great video. You made me laugh so hard with the changed portrait sprites.
I mainly do coding and sucks at graphics, so I am glad so are the complete opposite. There is a thread here somewhere in the forum, where someone asked for sprites for the firetruck and cargo truck. Maybe you can do sprites for those?

I am actually working on making it easier to add these custom units/building you described without needing to really code in my fork of the zod engine.

static structures wich work like APC: Should be quite easy, it's just an APC that can't move and has a different graphic.
howitzer tanks ( basically "repair tank" with howitzer cannon, wich shoots light tank ammunition to long disance): Changing the ammunition of a unit is also quite easy, it's mainly a parameter in the zod engine.
watch tower bunker for longer shooting distance when occupied by droids: One can again recycle the APC's code and change the distance (and graphics).
how far i could i go?: How about stealth tanks (someone else here in this forum had this idea). This tank would be invisible to enemies unless an enemy unit or radar station is close. Would require a bit more work from my side, but is certainly not impossible.
Another thing might be fog of war: Let's say that might take a bit longer to do properly ... ^^
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-03-07, 11:17

Last night I tested some code to simulate fog of war.
If an enemy unit is close to unit the player controls the unit becomes visible and if not the unit goes invisible. Quite simple code.

At the beginning I was very skeptical. I thought Z is not really designed around the idea of fog of war.
And playing the first two levels and felt like a gimmick.
However, I played the next few level and was utterly amazed. I finished now the first 16 levels with fog of war and it was SO MUCH FUN!!

One has to play more defensively and since one can not see whether the next flag is unoccupied or if there is a heavy tank one has to react fast.
Sneak attacks by the AI actually become meaningful and one basically has to position robots in front of one's tank in order to not be surprised.

I recorded when I played level 2. See here: https://youtu.be/c7RGB8Khc14
The next planets especially arctic and jungle are much better. The video doesn't really show off all the nuances. I might create a new video, the above video is actually really bad.

Would love to hear your opinion about this.
BallWin
General
General

Post by BallWin » 2019-03-07, 14:21

This looks interesting.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-03-07, 14:30

BallWin wrote:
2019-03-07, 14:21
This looks interesting.
It really is!! The video is kinda bad, its really fun with more units. Also the framerate of the video is bad. Playing the game and recording at the same time really slows my machine down.
After the next version I will focus more on the Linux port, so you can also enjoy this.
Ryske
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Ryske » 2019-03-08, 23:56

thanks for the kind replys...

My other thoughts have been, would it be possible to make a zombie mode.. well since every game has zombies nowadays. hear me out.

Zombie mode AI would be green player, and the portraits would be easily done (just make droid portraits wiht loosen bolts, and with blank eyes, wires hanging from their faces and maybe another eye fallen off..)... now i think of it, you cant see enemy droid portrait... hmm.. maybe you can be a zombie player? ..

Just give them a background that these green droids have been infected by a spacial goo virus or something and gone renegade.

droids would be faster produced from factories, runs faster, short range melee (uses shoot animation at the moment when in contact), fast kill, overthrows vehicle drivers easily and can occiby opponent vehicle after that. Basically fast moving throw units in bigger squad?

Maybe only infantry and strong defensive static cannons at "infected" side? i think this would bring some interesing gameplay for Z, indstead of fighting same units as you opponent always as in vanilla Z...

Tho my ideal Z modification would be something similiar to C&C Generals shockwave mod.... Just the base game but more additions for it (such in the first topic and more units).... heck even helicopters would be fun or artillery strikes, but i highly doubt thats possible currently :P

Edit: maybe ill start making some static bunker/tower sprites ...im allready working on making new maptiles just for fun.. something similiar to blade runner/ necromunda style --- a city fight, basically destroyable cliffs are multistore slum houses and so on.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-03-09, 00:23

Ryske wrote:
2019-03-08, 23:56
droids would be faster produced from factories, runs faster, short range melee (uses shoot animation at the moment when in contact), fast kill, overthrows vehicle drivers easily and can occiby opponent vehicle after that. Basically fast moving throw units in bigger squad?
How about the zombies exploded on contact with an enemy unit? Much like the infested terrains in Starcraft.
That should be easy enough to change.
BallWin
General
General

Post by BallWin » 2019-03-09, 10:56

Guys, I don't see any technical problems. However, good artistic skills are required to draw a set of tiles. At the moment, it is important to draw additional sets to increase the resolution of the original maps. Texture unit currently 16x16. In my opinion it is necessary to add an additional 32x32, 48x48 and can be 64x64. Software the increase in the unit of 16x16 may not give a good result. In the interpolation with a lack of data resulting blurry picture.
BallWin
General
General

Post by BallWin » 2019-03-09, 18:20

Right now I'm making a prototype for the basic elements of the level map (tiles). The inclusion of new properties will open up great possibilities. At the moment this includes:

Code: Select all

// ** the properties of the tile
    // -------------------------------------------------
    bool _H_mirror_property{true};     //horizontal mirroring
    bool _V_mirror_property{true};     //vertical mirroring
    bool _obstruction_property{false}; //is used to set whether or not the tile can be walked overp (value from obstruction map)
    bool _transparent_property{false}; //allows you to mix one tile with another
    bool _elevation_property{false};   //simulation of the elevation map on a per-tile basis
    bool _brightness_property{false};  //is useful for fog of war effects (darken until we see)  and also for "night" missions
    bool _X_offset_property{false};    //for a non-uniformly shaped tile (wider than standard tile)
    bool _Y_offset_property{false};    //for a non-uniformly shaped tile (higher than standard tile)
Note elevation_property and brightness_property.
What do you think about these properties? Will you have any other ideas?
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-03-09, 21:13

BallWin wrote:
2019-03-09, 18:20
Right now I'm making a prototype for the basic elements of the level map (tiles). The inclusion of new properties will open up great possibilities. At the moment this includes:

Code: Select all

// ** the properties of the tile
    // -------------------------------------------------
    bool _H_mirror_property{true};     //horizontal mirroring
    bool _V_mirror_property{true};     //vertical mirroring
    bool _obstruction_property{false}; //is used to set whether or not the tile can be walked overp (value from obstruction map)
    bool _transparent_property{false}; //allows you to mix one tile with another
    bool _elevation_property{false};   //simulation of the elevation map on a per-tile basis
    bool _brightness_property{false};  //is useful for fog of war effects (darken until we see)  and also for "night" missions
    bool _X_offset_property{false};    //for a non-uniformly shaped tile (wider than standard tile)
    bool _Y_offset_property{false};    //for a non-uniformly shaped tile (higher than standard tile)
Note elevation_property and brightness_property.
What do you think about these properties? Will you have any other ideas?
All good. I suggest _brightness_property to be an unsigned char to have a smooth border between the areas one can see and the invisible/dark ones.
Thinking about it, one brightness value will now be enough if the tiles are allowed to have a size of 48x48. Maybe 4 brightness value for the 4 corners of the tile and the renderer is then expected to interpolate between these?
BallWin
General
General

Post by BallWin » 2019-03-09, 23:04

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-03-09, 21:13
All good. I suggest _brightness_property to be an unsigned char to have a smooth border between the areas one can see and the invisible/dark ones.
Thinking about it, one brightness value will now be enough if the tiles are allowed to have a size of 48x48. Maybe 4 brightness value for the 4 corners of the tile and the renderer is then expected to interpolate between these?
here the brightness of the pixel ~=(0.2126*color.R + 0.7152*color.G + 0.0722*color.B), rather, it can be expressed as a percentage of the "norm". This allows you to keep the color but make it darker. However, this does not exclude the option of threshold processing and setting any value up to black.
This can be combined with your idea of an invisible opponent. Only the player will understand why we do not see the enemy. :wink:
About the brightness on the 4 corners.
I think this will complicate the processing. I think it can be done on the visualizer side.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-03-14, 13:19

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-03-09, 00:23
Ryske wrote:
How about the zombies exploded on contact with an enemy unit? Much like the infested terrains in Starcraft.
Got it to work in ZED Online. Is kinda fun to play around with it, but I really have to create a map around this "Zombie mode". I currently just let the "zombies" spawn in the first level. It's fun to avoid them when one has a jeep, but there needs to be some goal for the player.
SteelGhost
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Something new

Post by SteelGhost » 2019-03-18, 00:16

Image Z Wiki - Contribute now!
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-04-19, 18:04

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-03-14, 13:19
DaMarkov wrote:
2019-03-09, 00:23
Ryske wrote:
Got it to work in ZED Online. Is kinda fun to play around with it, but I really have to create a map around this "Zombie mode". I currently just let the "zombies" spawn in the first level. It's fun to avoid them when one has a jeep, but there needs to be some goal for the player.
Finally, made a video of it: https://youtu.be/8WzKNmzB-64
APC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Something new

Post by APC » 2019-04-23, 10:00

Really great mod. The zombies appear on the odges of the map? The AI factories were stopped.
Zombies were grunts or lasers?