Discussions, requests and appeals to lay open the Z source code

Moderator: Brad

Eastwind
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Zed 95 Pixel art graphic for Open Zed 95

Post by Eastwind » 2007-04-20, 18:36

This post following the previous about Open Source Zed engine :
viewtopic.php?t=278&start=0&postdays=0& ... highlight= . Where you can also see graphix of different project .

Zed 95 great graphic is Pixel art , obvious right ? but let s wait few minute , and compare Zed 95 graphic with standart pixel art graphic :

Polska-fighter member of zzone , create this picture : Image

As you can see there is a star in center of picture and some greenline on the border of it .

The stars is the compass of pixel art , like real compass it indicate the line direction , all Line in isometric Pixel art is included . all these line is called perfect line , because there is the most beautifull when used in pixel art .
But all line is not compatible as same level . The red line x and y is compatible with all line , green , and blue . The green line is compatible with green line and blue line is compatible with blue . Why ? because these line is different point of view and become the base of your all picture . You can try to use blue line with green line , there will be not good very good result . howewer sometime we can a little blue with green line , but not as base for entire picture view point .

i just google pixel art for get some exemple , here the first I get and is same as the Polska-fighter view point as you can see with the pixel art compass : Image

This view point is the standart used when create big isometric pixel art , and 70 % of pixel art using this line .

Now we compare it with Zed 95 graphix (gfx ) : Image

As you can see the Zed graphix fit perfectly the Blue line , but not the greenline as you can see difference with the tower in front of fort and behind .

If we use the greenline and make a map we get result like this : Image

result same as Polska-fighter factory building view point . It s nice too , but it s NOT Zed style , and ambiant . You also note that at the left street , the alien overcraft using a mixed with the blue line (up) and greenline (down) . but it lost is isometric style , howewer as the entire environnement is isometric it s not obvious . but if you cut it from the picture his isometric is lost . if you cut the building of center off the picture the isomectric style stay . you see .

I m not expert in Pixel art , but when i begin to draw some isometric pixel gfx , I saw my gfx don't have same effect as zed 95 original graphix , that s why i begin some research and find the real problem . If we want bring back Zed look and feel , ambiant , style ..We need understand the design behind , and this one was not same as standart isometric .

I have create pixel art brush tools with all perfect ine and include the pixel art compass too . , so it can be usefull for other who want begin pixel art

also I have the archive of all these file (picture and source with layers include ) , so you can download and test yourself .

Where can I upload on Zzone these compressed archive and tools ?
Last edited by Eastwind on 2007-04-21, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
CHYROS
General
General

Re: Zed 95 Pixel art graphic for Open Zed 95

Post by CHYROS » 2007-04-21, 04:19

Eastwind wrote:Where can I upload on Zzone these compressed archive and tools ?
Mail George (Zod). He might put them up on the site.
Remember, the meek shall inherit nothing. -- The Book of Cataclysm
Eastwind
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Eastwind » 2007-04-26, 09:06

Here is a screenshot from a zzone member that port of zed 95 to zx spectrum system , as the color is simple , you can see clearly when pixel art compass applied the direction of it .

Here is the temporary hosting of the pixel.art tools include pixel compass :

it s brush to unzip in your gimp brush directory . I still search a long term hosting for these .

Here is the link to download it : http://bellette.tuxfamily.org/pixel.art.brushes.0.2.7z

For unzip the 7z file , here is the free open tools on windows : http://www.7-zip.org/ (can also unzip , zip , rar , tar.gz , bz2 , deb, rpm ... )