Z graphics

Discussions, requests and appeals to lay open the Z source code

Moderator: Brad

Meeky
Captain
Captain

Z graphics

Postby Meeky » 2009-10-11, 20:04

Here is utility that allows to view and extract Z graphic, which are located in several packed files:
sprites.exp - contains over 7000 game sprites
*.blk - contains terrain tileset (not actually used in the game)
*.dat - graphic files for HUD interface, located in sheadfx.exp archive

Download original Z-graphics files for viewing in the utility
Attachments
ZGFX_BIN.rar
Executable file (required .NET 2.0)
(30.6 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
ZGFX.rar
Project sources in C#
(95.28 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
WinZMod - mod for playing Z with high screen resolution
ZEdMod - ZEditor mod allowing to edit single player levels
ZGFX - Utility for extracting Z graphic
ZStats - Small utility for fine-tuning unit statistics
Z-Remake - XNA project on 2D IceCream Engine
Eastwind
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Z graphics

Postby Eastwind » 2009-10-17, 11:58

Hi Meekly ,

Thank you for posting this tools . It s seems that we are really approching some open source z :)

I also think it s time to get a Wiki now on ZZone for easily share these graphic. I just asked one in this post : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=593

I also have another question , as I don't have Windows , can you extract more sprite and put it on Zzone ? like your other post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=591

Anyway thankx for your great contributing :) (finally getting the real Z sprite with all the palette , great ! )
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Postby Meeky » 2009-10-18, 15:27

Eastwind wrote: I also have another question , as I don't have Windows , can you extract more sprite and put it on Zzone ? like your other post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=591
Hi, Eastwind!

Actually, you do can rip images you need by yourself 8)

Tar archive with ZGFX binary is attached to this post, but in order to run it you should install MONO first
Attachments
ZGFX.tar.gz
ZGFX binary
(16.71 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
Eastwind
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Eastwind » 2009-10-27, 10:58

HI meekly ,

I try to run ZGFX tools , but unfortunatly here is what my GNU/Linux box give me :

Code: Select all

gnu@robby:~/Bureau/ZGFX$ ./zgfx 

** (./ZGFX.exe:23077): WARNING **: The following assembly referenced from /home/gnu/Bureau/ZGFX/ZGFX.exe could not be loaded:
     Assembly:   System.Windows.Forms    (assemblyref_index=2)
     Version:    2.0.0.0
     Public Key: b77a5c561934e089
The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/home/gnu/Bureau/ZGFX/).

** (./ZGFX.exe:23077): WARNING **: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.

** (./ZGFX.exe:23077): WARNING **: Missing method EnableVisualStyles in assembly /home/gnu/Bureau/ZGFX/ZGFX.exe, type System.Windows.Forms.Application

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
gnu@robby:~/Bureau/ZGFX$ 

I also try using another way :

gnu@robby:~/Bureau/ZGFX$ mono ZGFX.exe

** (ZGFX.exe:22987): WARNING **: The following assembly referenced from /home/gnu/Bureau/ZGFX/ZGFX.exe could not be loaded:
     Assembly:   System.Windows.Forms    (assemblyref_index=2)
     Version:    2.0.0.0
     Public Key: b77a5c561934e089
The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/home/gnu/Bureau/ZGFX/).

** (ZGFX.exe:22987): WARNING **: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.

** (ZGFX.exe:22987): WARNING **: Missing method EnableVisualStyles in assembly /home/gnu/Bureau/ZGFX/ZGFX.exe, type System.Windows.Forms.Application

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
gnu@robby:~/Bureau/ZGFX$ ls
pallete  zgfx  ZGFX.exe  ZGFX.exe.mdb
It ll be easier if we can directly get the graphic file somewhere in compressed archive to download .

Another question that is now raised by Mono and .NET technology in FLOSS community is the dependency of Freedom project to Microsoft . There is a lot of issue now about the legitimacy of Mono , in regard of the patent and technology that is holded by Microsoft . If Microsoft can get all free software depending on their .NET (so Mono ) technology , then it ll be easy to control them .

How this is related to Z community ?

The question is: Do we, Zed fans community really want to be dependent on Microsoft in a way of another for the futur of our open source Z ?

We already know how unhelpfull it is to depend on one single company (sayd Bitmap brothers here ) , How long did we try to discuss for evolution of Z games with Bitmap Brothers ? None of voice was hear (so far what did we get now from them ? ) .Also all the work done for understanding the closed picture format of Z ? We also know how many difficult is raised when we depend on one operating system , do we remember all the work done by Zed fans community in order to run Z on other operating system than Windows 95/98 ? Microsoft didn't really care of all these old games don't running on Windows Xp or Windows Vista including Z :) .Also there were too much problem on the multiplayer features on Z before we get the way to deal with .There is still a long way to get a fully open source Z , but all the work that was done and all the work that is now still in process (e.g. find a good open engine ) was just because we were dependent of one single company on one single system where all was closed and controlled by outsiders of Z fans community... (if it wasn't the case , we can NOW play our open source Z ) . That s why I asked the question "Do we, Zed fans community really want to be dependent on Microsoft in a way of another for the futur of our open source Z ? " Didn't we get enough troubles on theses issues in past and present , for not garantee in futur we don't run in same troubles ? For my part asking the question is getting the answer , and I do think Z community don't need much trouble for futur , what is wanted is a really fully a freedom open Z . And so we need really freedom tools to build this , and the Mono and .Net C# and Microsoft dependency clearly don't seems stand in our side ,

Why ?
Here is a quote that apply to all Open source project so including Z open source itself :

" There’s no question that C# is a decent language and that many high quality projects have been created as a result of this. Yes, open source does perhaps benefit from these applications, but it’s only a short term gain. Long term, its extremely dangerous. It’s dangerous because if we find ourselves in a position where we rely on Microsoft for our own open source technology, then we are completely at their mercy."

source : http://boycottnovell.com/2009/06/02/mon ... s-disease/

There is plenty of language that we can use (python , C++ ... ) , and that will not lead community in some kind of problem dependency like the one we talk about, , Can we think about it before we fall on some trap ?
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Postby Meeky » 2009-10-28, 09:06

Eastwind wrote:HI meekly ,
I try to run ZGFX tools , but unfortunatly here is what my GNU/Linux box give me :

gnu@robby:~/Bureau/ZGFX$ ls
pallete  zgfx  ZGFX.exe  ZGFX.exe.mdb
Well, in that case you can grab Wine, which will let you run Windows software on Linux. It's not an emulator, so you don't need to have Windows distributive. It not only can run .NET assemblies, but also XNA games run perfectly well on it:

Eastwind wrote: It ll be easier if we can directly get the graphic file somewhere in compressed archive to download .
Sprites have different view depending on palette. When I have spare time, I'll do it.
Eastwind wrote: There is plenty of language that we can use (python , C++ ... ) , and that will not lead community in some kind of problem dependency like the one we talk about, , Can we think about it before we fall on some trap ?
Well, I'am just a Windows developer, so other people with nessasery skills could port the code into Unix.
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Postby Meeky » 2009-11-12, 21:27

Recently, I've updated my utility and added ability to select color (team) of the unit:

Attachments
zgfx_src_20091103.rar
Sources
(95.66 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
zgfx_bin_20091103.rar
Executable file
(31.37 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Christiaan
Grunt
Grunt
Are you a spam bot?: No

Postby Christiaan » 2010-03-27, 15:00

Meeky wrote:Well, I'am just a Windows developer, so other people with nessasery skills could port the code into Unix.
I can confirm that tar.gz archive works on Ubuntu 9.10 with Mono installed.
You shouldn't doubleclick the .exe however as it will attempt to run it with WINE.

I took the following steps to run it:
Extract the tar.gz to some place in my homefolder.
Open a terminal browse to the folder and type ./ZGFX.exe
After opening SPRITES.EXP it seems to hang tough.
buman
Major
Major

Postby buman » 2010-03-27, 20:45

It all works fine for me, thanks a lot, meeky! :cheers:

@Christiaan: Welcome to the forums ;)
Tough
Grunt
Grunt
Are you a spam bot?: No

Postby Tough » 2010-10-31, 18:36

I need help. How do you extract the graphics using this tool? I am not a computer guy...
Or, where can I get all the graphics like robots, tanks, etc?

Thanks!