Discussions, requests and appeals to lay open the Z source code

Moderator: Brad

FreakNigh
General
General
Are you a spam bot?: No

Has anyone started yet?

Postby FreakNigh » 2009-12-24, 22:50

I have just found this site and I can barely contain myself that the sprites and audio are available for someone to start making a clone with. Has anyone already made good effort towards a clone because I don't know if I can keep myself from being apart of the clones development (I'm a programmer).

:idiot:
Image Image
FreakNigh
General
General

Re: Has anyone started yet?

Postby FreakNigh » 2009-12-25, 05:43

*gets Z working with the XP launcher*

The game is available for free, and can be played over TCP/IP. It doesn't look like there is any need for an open source version is there? Looks like what we need is a place where people can find each other to start up games against each other.
Image Image
Eastwind
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Eastwind » 2009-12-25, 10:57

Welcom to ZZone FreakNigh :)
It doesn't look like there is any need for an open source version is there?
The need for an open source version , rely on the past experience of Z fans community and all the problem that was running into to simply continu to play Z . Z was tottally abandonned by the editor , and at the same time he was still against the release as abandonware . We first try to discuss evolution of Z games with the editor (Bitmap Brothers ) for years ago (now it ll be more than 5 years ) , and none of the voice was heard . Also there was many difficult to get Z running into modern operating system (at the time windows xp ) . Each new system release (sayd Vista and Seven ) can cause new incompatible behavior with Z . Z doesn't yet run on GNU/Linux now (even with Wine , and it s' not playable inside a virtualised windows xp box or even windows 98) . There was also a lot of trouble with the multiplayer game (as it doens't use tcp/ip before ). Also a lot of work was done to understand fully the closed format picture for extracting the graphics , and for undesrtanding the Z map structure for let fans the freedom to create their own map the way they want. Bitmap Brothers never help us , even a little bit , all work was done by Z fans community . That s why a question raised : didn't we get enough troubles on theses issues in past and present , for not garantee in futur we don't run in same troubles ?
A good answer seems to have a freedom and open source Z

Now , we are looking how the SnowballZ (an open source engine ) can be adapted for running the open source Z . take a look here : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=609
It s just the beginning , There is also a new wiki (just installed few days ago ) for improving the sharing of information on Z game and it s Open source remake here : http://zzone.lewe.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

have a nice trip :cheers:
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2009-12-25, 17:32

Well if I started a clone I would do it in c++ with a library called SDL. SDL is a super crossplatform library, spanning across things like Linux/Mac/Windows, and lots of crazy things like the iphone, nintendo DS, xbox, pretty much literally everything. I would also initially focus on evolving it around a multiplayer engine, this way the AI could easily attach as a "player" to a game and single player could just turn into a series of bot only "multiplayer" games, and would also make the AI very independent allowing someone else to easily code it. We would have to start with the map editor first.

From what I can see as well, the sprites will have to be manipulated a little and that will take awhile. Also I did not see sprites for the maps so I'll have to find those. But yes if I did this I would focus on multiplatform support especially over odd platforms such as the iphone.

But I need to know what new features we are looking for in a clone.
Image Image
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2009-12-26, 04:55

If anyone wants to talk to me directly about this please add me on msn with freaknigh@hotmail.com or aim/icq with 2895872
Image Image
BallWin
Major
Major

Postby BallWin » 2009-12-26, 18:09

FreakNigh wrote:Well if I started a clone I would do it in c++ with a library called SDL. SDL is a super crossplatform library, spanning across things like Linux/Mac/Windows, and lots of crazy things like the iphone, nintendo DS, xbox, pretty much literally everything. I would also initially focus on evolving it around a multiplayer engine, this way the AI could easily attach as a "player" to a game and single player could just turn into a series of bot only "multiplayer" games, and would also make the AI very independent allowing someone else to easily code it. We would have to start with the map editor first.

From what I can see as well, the sprites will have to be manipulated a little and that will take awhile. Also I did not see sprites for the maps so I'll have to find those. But yes if I did this I would focus on multiplatform support especially over odd platforms such as the iphone.

Hi all. Congratulations Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :lol:
Eastwind Great job! I was too busy to help. A pity, but now I'm still too busy :(

FreakNigh
Project map-editor is blank on this link (Visual Studio 9, ?++) :
-- http://generalzod.narod.ru/OpenSource/Z ... ject_1.rar (3.55 mB)
-- http://generalzod.narod.ru/OpenSource/Z ... ject_2.rar (0,070 mB)
-- http://generalzod.narod.ru/OpenSource/Z ... ject_3.rar (4.76 mB)

Solution architecture - SDI (MFC).
Unfortunately all comments in Russian (I do not know much English) :(

Code requires significant alteration. I have not used the library + gdiplus - I thought that the code will become more democratic (for those who have older versions of Visual Studio). Now, however, some operating systems (Windows 7) have a problem with the display of graphics in the game-editor ZMap...

I redrew the resources of the game using the "transparent" colors - COLORREF RGB(250,50,230));
However, the old function TraransparentBlt () from the MFC library does not work in the new operating systems :(

Correction of the editor to run in Windows 7 is here, test build is available here... (This would only see the problem in Windows 7, does not solve the problem).

Use the resources of the project without any restrictions. I shall be grateful if you will inform of the changes (to synchronize versions).
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2009-12-26, 23:02

*checks it out* Awesome! thats really far along. Wish I knew how you guys go about learning the format of these files. I'm not a hacker i'm a developer. I guess I could either help you or begin on the clone then?

Please add me on msn:freaknigh@hotmail.com or icq/aim:2895872
Image Image
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Postby Meeky » 2009-12-28, 08:34

FreakNigh wrote:*checks it out* Awesome! thats really far along. Wish I knew how you guys go about learning the format of these files. I'm not a hacker i'm a developer. I guess I could either help you or begin on the clone then?

Please add me on msn:freaknigh@hotmail.com or icq/aim:2895872
Hey there!
I'm very glad to know, that Z fans community have another developer, that is not afraid to get his hands dirty :cheers:
I've gotta go to work at the moment, so at the meantime please check out Z remake topic, I've just created today.
WinZMod - mod for playing Z with high screen resolution
ZEdMod - ZEditor mod allowing to edit single player levels
ZGFX - Utility for extracting Z graphic
ZStats - Small utility for fine-tuning unit statistics
Z-Remake - XNA project on 2D IceCream Engine
Eastwind
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Eastwind » 2009-12-29, 11:46

:idea: Maybe should we ask much wider , much Z fanz and collaborate with the wiki ?
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2009-12-29, 15:32

I think it would be great if we had an IRC channel we could hang out in. It would also serve great for finding people to play multiplayer against.
Image Image
BallWin
Major
Major

Postby BallWin » 2009-12-29, 15:59

Eastwind wrote:
:idea: Maybe should we ask much wider , much Z fanz and collaborate with the wiki ?
Parkinson's conjecture that membership exceeding a number "between 19.9 and 22.4" makes a committee manifestly inefficient
(PARKINSON'S LAW [AND OTHER STUDIES IN ADMINISTRATION] BY C. Northcote Parkinson):
-- "This is the coefficient of inefficiency and it is found to lie between 19.9 and 22.4. (The decimals represent partial attendance; those absent for a part of the meeting.)"
... Ideal number of members - five persons. They will do all operation. Other members are useless.

:lol:
FreakNigh wrote:I think it would be great if we had an IRC channel we could hang out in. It would also serve great for finding people to play multiplayer against.
I think it would be great if we had an IRC channel we could hang out in. It would also serve great for finding people to play multiplayer against.
Channels formed some times. Low attendance kills them :(
http://www.hamachi.cc irc://slashnet/Z-Expansion - Z IRC chat channel
irc://slashnet/Z-Expansion