Z remake (on XNA 2D IceCream Engine)

Discussions, requests and appeals to lay open the Z source code

Moderator: Brad

Meeky
Captain
Captain

Z remake (on XNA 2D IceCream Engine)

Postby Meeky » 2009-12-28, 08:25

Some time ago I'm started Z remake project. It's an open-source project written in XNA and powered by IceCream 2D game engine.
Check out the latest YouTube link to quick sneak peak video, that shows the current state of project development.
WinZMod - mod for playing Z with high screen resolution
ZEdMod - ZEditor mod allowing to edit single player levels
ZGFX - Utility for extracting Z graphic
ZStats - Small utility for fine-tuning unit statistics
Z-Remake - XNA project on 2D IceCream Engine
BallWin
Major
Major

Re: Z remake (on XNA 2D IceCream Engine)

Postby BallWin » 2009-12-28, 14:35

Excellent! ??????? :D
I see a significant progress of the project :cheers:
FreakNigh
General
General
Are you a spam bot?: No

Postby FreakNigh » 2009-12-28, 15:33

Do you have msn, gtalk, or aim/icq?

And are you looking for any help?

For me at this point, I think now I need to know from Z lovers what they want from an open-source Z clone. Such as available on linux, iphone, xbox 360. Capable of 16 or more players in one multiplayer game that can have any amount of computer players with different difficultly levels. Dynamic easy to use editor for adding in new units? Easily capable of adding in new planet types? Capable of making number groups with ctrl+# like modern RTS games? Maybe a public server similar to battle.net for starcraft so players can easily find other players to play against online?

One thing I know for sure, is it needs to be a true clone where all of the gameplay / feel is the same so by default atleast the unit stats must remain the same (however they could be easily editable). Also do we have to provide single player (not counting a multiplayer skirmish against just you and a computer) and the cutscenes etc or can we leave that for the original?
Image Image
KISSMAD
General
General

Postby KISSMAD » 2009-12-28, 23:54

Meeky wrote:Some time ago I'm started Z remake project. It's an open-source project written in XNA and powered by IceCream 2D game engine.
Check out the latest YouTube link to quick sneak peak video, that shows the current state of project development.
Amazing work
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Postby Meeky » 2009-12-29, 08:36

FreakNigh wrote:Do you have msn, gtalk, or aim/icq?
You can find me on IceCream IRC channel around 18:00 GMT. Grab any IRC client or use Mibbit web-based client connect to EFnet server (irc.efnet.org) and join #IceCream channel.
Also you can reach me on GTalk (v.meeky@gmail.com)
And are you looking for any help?
Surely, I do :)
Unfortunately, I have little spare time, so writing Z clone could take the whole my life :D
Furthermore, digging up Z under the debugger, leaves even less time... Although that part of the work is required in fewer cases now.
For me at this point, I think now I need to know from Z lovers what they want from an open-source Z clone. Such as available on linux, iphone, xbox 360. Capable of 16 or more players in one multiplayer game that can have any amount of computer players with different difficultly levels. Dynamic easy to use editor for adding in new units? Easily capable of adding in new planet types? Capable of making number groups with ctrl+# like modern RTS games? Maybe a public server similar to battle.net for starcraft so players can easily find other players to play against online?

One thing I know for sure, is it needs to be a true clone where all of the gameplay / feel is the same so by default atleast the unit stats must remain the same (however they could be easily editable). Also do we have to provide single player (not counting a multiplayer skirmish against just you and a computer) and the cutscenes etc or can we leave that for the original?
I totally agree with you in that it needs to be a true clone first, with identical look and feel in regard of gameplay. Unit stats will remain the same and will reside in the same file, which ca be edited with my ZStats tweaker utility. But Z clone are meant to be better in that that original Z lacks, for example, ability to mix AI and real players in various proportions, so that one can have several AI opponents by adding bots in multiplayer game, instead of real opponents...
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2009-12-29, 16:12

Sweet =) I added you on gtalk.. In the meantime I'm going to start doing a lot of documentation on my ideas...

Is it possible that I can see your code?
Image Image
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Postby Meeky » 2009-12-30, 08:50

FreakNigh wrote:Sweet =) I added you on gtalk.. In the meantime I'm going to start doing a lot of documentation on my ideas...

Is it possible that I can see your code?
Sure! Check out your e-mail :cheers:
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2009-12-30, 18:59

Awesome, I will check it out more tonight. Do you mind me asking how you went about cracking the formats for the map and dat files etc? Also do you think the original map format can handle more then 4 players in one game? Will we need to devise a new map format?

Some of the things I think need to be added are up to 16 player support, atleast 8. Ability to set any resolution. Crossplatform linux/mac/windows. And some sort of centralized place where multiplayer games can be started from.

I wonder if there is a way to make all of the unit sprites more generic so that any color can be applied to them during runtime.
Image Image
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-01-01, 23:54

Okay well I have begun working on and sorting a lot of the sprites for rapid use in a clone. I will release that setup when I am done.
Image Image
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-01-02, 03:49

Also I'm thinking about not making a clone, but something like a MMORTS or something funky with the graphics etc.
Image Image
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-01-03, 07:30

Actually I can't think of how to make this game into a MMORTS... The flag capture system among other things make it kind of hard to be large scale, let alone persistent.
Image Image
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Postby Meeky » 2010-01-04, 11:48

FreakNigh wrote:Awesome, I will check it out more tonight. Do you mind me asking how you went about cracking the formats for the map and dat files etc? Also do you think the original map format can handle more then 4 players in one game? Will we need to devise a new map format?
Well, Ballwin was the first who started to investigate file formats in a passive way - he changed some bytes in the file, then observed and interpreted results.
Then, about a year ago I came in with IDA (an interactive disassembler) and OLLY debugger. The executable is huge (above 2 Mb), so is the code listing. It took a considerable time to become familiar with game internals, but the knowledge I gained allowed me to write screen resolution mod (WinZMod.exe) and also revealed some obscure moments in file formats, that still was unclear at the moment.

As to the map format, it allows to have over 4 players, but the only real limitation is the map size - up to 128x128 map units (each one is 16x16 pixels)
Some of the things I think need to be added are up to 16 player support, atleast 8. Ability to set any resolution. Crossplatform linux/mac/windows. And some sort of centralized place where multiplayer games can be started from.

I wonder if there is a way to make all of the unit sprites more generic so that any color can be applied to them during runtime.
Each unit has slightly varying tint to account for each of 5 available terrains plus a team coloring scheme. Both kinds of picture modifications are applied through use of 256-color palette. The applied color is not solid, but can have up to 16 shades of that color.
I'd also like to apply color on the fly, but so far I didn't come up with the answer as to how to do that.
Meeky
Captain
Captain

Postby Meeky » 2010-01-05, 08:15

Here is what we got now: YouTube video
Hope, in the next sneak peek preview loading terrain will be completed. Then the next step would be the units.
FreakNigh, check up your e-mail for source updates :cheers:
goblin
Pyro
Pyro

Postby goblin » 2010-01-07, 01:27

Looks amazing.
Love your work
goblin
Pyro
Pyro

Postby goblin » 2010-01-07, 02:24

I started work on a Z inspired game awhile ago, but stopped work when friends who were going to help failed to provide any.

My game idea was:
Team based game (5v5, 6v6, possibly even 5v5v5v5)
Each player controls a Tank (similar to how you control a Cannon Fodder tank) Perhaps screen centered on your tank.
The map will have territories like Z, these territories will either provide VP (Victory Points) or Money.
VP is given from enemy kills and VP territories, when your team reaches a certain amount of VP they win the game.
Money can be used to upgrade tanks from base or maybe territory (which changes their look eg.Light, Medium and Heavy depending on upgrades they chose).
The upgrades being:
Tracks (engine) - to make tank faster (better for getting places faster and dodging incoming shots).
Turret - increase the damage of your projectiles (and possibly range).
Armour - increase health of your tank.
The different type of terrain you drove over would also effect the speed of the tank (roads being the fastest)
I did picture a multilayer client like halflife where you joined servers which could be in progress if there were free spots. Things like Friendly Fire could be toggled on and off.

What are the chances of playing around with your source code, maybe I'll revive the project.

Although I really need other team members to keep motivated.