Discussions, requests and appeals to lay open the Z source code

Moderator: Brad

ZloveZ
Pyro
Pyro
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: The Zod Engine

Postby ZloveZ » 2010-04-05, 02:51

Things look to be going swimmingly! Can't wait to produce my first grunts! :cheers:
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-04-05, 04:57

WAIT! BAH! there is no need to wait!

I call this update the yo momma update -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoALh40UJ-8
Image Image
BallWin
Major
Major

Postby BallWin » 2010-04-05, 10:50

FreakNigh wrote:WAIT! BAH! there is no need to wait!

I call this update the yo momma update -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoALh40UJ-8
Wonderful! :)
/*It is necessary to include animation "to open doors"*/
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-04-05, 20:51

I was probably just going to remove the door since the normal game does not use it.
Image Image
buman
Major
Major

Postby buman » 2010-04-05, 22:20

why are there even graphics for the fort with the closed door?!
You know what just go ahead and make it like this:
or this:
:cheers:

Anyway, it'll be a lot of fun to play the next release with unit production workin, but you should update the map a little for the next version so that it has more sectors n stuff

Edit:

Ok here is a few things i noticed bout the new version:

mechanics:
- when you use the waypoint option it automatically uses the first wp you set as the unit's next wp, where it actually should just add the points you chose via holding shift rahter than replacing the ones you already made (don't know if my english is good enough to express this^^)
- there should be a hotkey for attacking the ground, so that you can shoot anywhere you won't without aiming at an actual enemy target and so that you can also attack your own units if you want to

units:
- all units start jumping in a weird kind of way when they change direction (seems like they kind of relocate position before moving on), it's really weird especially because i think it worked in the older versions you released
- tanks are automatically attacking enemy buildings when in range (they shouldnt do that)
- the tough shoots too soon ( :) ), usually it waits like 1 second before it shoots which is a good thing cause
otherwise it is way overpowered (you have to be able to micro against it)
- almost all projectiles move/fly too fast and should be aligned to the original version (again: the abilty to micro should play a bigger role than macro in my opinion)
- not sure, but: i don't think the debris of destroyed vehicles should always fly right towards your face,
as it can be distracting depending on the number of vehicles that blow up at once,
it should happen by chance

=> this color means /important/ ;)

i don't know which of these things are actual bugs since this is prealpha, but I just wanted to be sure this gets mentioned. I am willing to annoy the hell outta you as soon as the beta is out ;)

Edit 2:
Also: answer my icq auth-request, i offered you my help, dammit :D
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-04-06, 01:43

The graphics that are hidden in game are exactly like your first image where it goes up, but the second one is cool =) I think the problem with the doors is when are they supposed to be closed? Maybe they could be destroyable so that you can't just walk in to destroy a fort unless you have some explosives?
mechanics:
- when you use the waypoint option it automatically uses the first wp you set as the unit's next wp, where it actually should just add the points you chose via holding shift rahter than replacing the ones you already made (don't know if my english is good enough to express this^^)
- there should be a hotkey for attacking the ground, so that you can shoot anywhere you won't without aiming at an actual enemy target and so that you can also attack your own units if you want to
I want to put in forced attack however I think it will come a little later. And whenever I do waypoints I always feel it should be that way too, maybe there should be a "shift + ctrl" way of appending waypoints to the already existing list?
units:
- all units start jumping in a weird kind of way when they change direction (seems like they kind of relocate position before moving on), it's really weird especially because i think it worked in the older versions you released
- tanks are automatically attacking enemy buildings when in range (they shouldnt do that)
- the tough shoots too soon ( :) ), usually it waits like 1 second before it shoots which is a good thing cause
otherwise it is way overpowered (you have to be able to micro against it)
- almost all projectiles move/fly too fast and should be aligned to the original version (again: the abilty to micro should play a bigger role than macro in my opinion)
- not sure, but: i don't think the debris of destroyed vehicles should always fly right towards your face,
as it can be distracting depending on the number of vehicles that blow up at once,
it should happen by chance
I think I know what you mean with the jumping, and it happens worst if you have the unit move in the opposite direction. What is happening is the server is constantly telling the client where the units are, but because of lag the client also needs to do some predicting, and this predicting mixed with lag can have it over shoot at the ends.

As far as projectiles moving too fast, I understand that there will need to be a lot of tweaking and I think I will have to make it so the server / game will load an easily editable stat sheet for all of the units etc.

But ya man right now I'm trying to get all of the fundamental things working of the game, which is unit production and proper unit movement. I think after that the rest is clean up and bug fixing.

Reask for authorization and send me a message =)
Image Image
buman
Major
Major

Postby buman » 2010-04-06, 02:16

I find your reply to be pretty adequate, indeed, therefore, you will be rewarded with some randomness:
(dude animated gifs are awesome, how did i not notice that before Oo)
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-04-07, 02:47

cool! did you know they also thought about making a building factory?

Image Image
Christiaan
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Christiaan » 2010-04-07, 21:26

FreakNigh I've tought about how XML should look so that all Open Source clones have a shared map definition.

The format TileEd generates seems to be pretty small and can contain most of the data.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<map version="1.0" width="50" height="50" tilewidth="16" tileheight="16">
 <tileset firstgid="1" name="arctic" tilewidth="16" tileheight="16">
  <image source="../workspace/WebZed/media/img/planets/arctic.png"/>
 </tileset>
 <layer name="Layer 1" width="50" height="50">
  <data>
   <tile gid="433"/>
   <tile gid="3"/>
   <tile gid="10"/>
   <tile gid="433"/>
  </data>
 </layer>
</map>
Where the first tile is the most top left one and the next the one right from it.
The gid is the place of the tile on the tileset, there is support in this format for multiple tilesets if you add a second source tile sheet you just continue numbering.
So like so, for both the tilesheet and the map definition.

Does this cover all the data that is available in the map files?
I could imagine some object layer which defines what units/buildings/crates start in which tile.

Should we maybe start a new topic about the map definitions?
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-04-08, 03:27

well as of right now the map format also stores objects and zones. Also each tile has its own information like if it is passable. That format there would let you render the base map image though.
Image Image
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-04-09, 05:54

For placing cannons, they are forced to be placed on tiles. Do we want to make it instead so they are not restricted to tiles (but still can't do things like place on rocks and water etc). Also do we want to be able to place them on roads? I think I am going to go this route (not being restricted to the tile grid but any placable x y within that zone).
Image Image
MisterM
Psycho
Psycho

Postby MisterM » 2010-04-09, 12:32

Wow! I hope this project gets finished!
cool! did you know they also thought about making a building factory?
This brings me to an idea:

For Cannons, what about adding them exklusively to build the repair building and fort? In a normal match, you rarely build cannons in your normal production buildings because a flexible unit is much more worth its production time. On the other side you would have to be able to place a cannon in all zones you possess ...
Also do we want to be able to place them on roads?
As roadblock? This wouldnt be a good idea ...
Tanel K
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Tanel K » 2010-04-09, 14:33

MisterM wrote:This brings me to an idea:

For Cannons, what about adding them exklusively to build the repair building and fort? In a normal match, you rarely build cannons in your normal production buildings because a flexible unit is much more worth its production time. On the other side you would have to be able to place a cannon in all zones you possess
You can check my topic regarding some ideas for balance changes: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=606
I believe implementing those about stationary guns would much increase their usage.
buman
Major
Major

Postby buman » 2010-04-10, 00:13

hey tanel I read through all balance changes you suggest and I agree with most of them. Taking these changes as a basis for the remake would be a step in the right direction, of course after beta testing there would be more optimizing.
In general though I don't want any major changes to the game (new buildings, units, abilities).
It would make sense if there was like a "classic mode" (Z but with better balance and gameplay) and after that maybe some other modes like a mode where you have to collect resources or some crazy sh*t like that (or tower defence^^).
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-04-10, 02:49

I agree we need to start with it being as close to the original as possible, then provide the tools to let people tweak things and a place to promote their modifications.
Image Image