Discussions, requests and appeals to lay open the Z source code

Moderator: Brad

FreakNigh
General
General
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: The Zod Engine

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-07-28, 14:26

Ya we're still working on it. Just so you know I'm going to be making the majority of my update posts here though - http://zod.sourceforge.net/phpBB3/index.php
Image Image
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-08-01, 02:22

Cranes now repair buildings, among other updates. Cranes still need some effect type work done. The repair building will probably be next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLg9Y-fTyp4
Image Image
ZloveZ
Pyro
Pyro

Postby ZloveZ » 2010-08-13, 06:34

Any news? Haven't seen any posts in a while. Hope all is well on the open source front!
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-08-13, 09:37

I've been posting updates here man - http://zod.sourceforge.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9
Image Image
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-09-06, 06:30

We're still working on it. The path finding algorithm has been installed (not for the attack command yet though). Also we just installed the ability to edit game settings from a text file.

Here is the latest vid of the medium tank being modified with the settings text file -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giRuf2EeAX0

Also there is an installer and launcher for the game for anyone who wants to try it out too. Some of the things that still need to be done (as of right now) are grenades, opengl acceleration, portrait animations, a few new effects and other effect debugging and random engine debugging mostly. So the majority of the main elements of the game are very close to being all installed. After that is done it will be clean up / debugging.

I plan on working on the game heavily for at least the next month so expect a lot of updates fairly quickly. Also at this rate I believe there is a chance it might be closer to done and being played regularly within the next two months.
Image Image
Zman
Psycho
Psycho

Postby Zman » 2010-09-23, 13:28

I wish to join to this project as code developer.
Can I do it, and how I can do it?
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-09-24, 01:09

If you want to help just add me to your messanger - MSN:freaknigh@hotmail.com GTALK:freaknigh@gmail.com AIM/ICQ:2895872

Even if you don't want to help feel free to add me =) I actually don't have that many people on my list that play Z.
Image Image
BeSerKa
Psycho
Psycho

Postby BeSerKa » 2010-09-27, 07:00

zod_engine.exe ... hestia.nightsoft.net ...

could not connect to 'hestia.nighsoft.net'
ZPlayer::Setup::socket not setup
Warning: incorrect audio format
could not load:assests/planets ... ...

I can't connect to your server dude.
Z
BeSerKa
Psycho
Psycho

Postby BeSerKa » 2010-09-27, 07:02

What ports does it use? Im sure I don't have a firewall blocking this, but maybe my router doesn't like it for some reason.
Z
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-09-28, 03:01

nah man it just crashed. The good news is I had a debugger running on it so I can fix the bug that crashed it :cheers:

... I just fixed the bug and restarted the server so it should be good :D
Image Image
Vuld Edone
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Vuld Edone » 2010-10-22, 14:52

Hi'.
Strange way to write my first message on the board...

For the presentations I'm a little grunt who likes the Zod Engine. I follow the updates, I play it a bit and I like to record some games.
I indeed don't need to present the Zod Engine here, just a few reminders before I get to the point : the latest update "10-16-10" has four players maps, an eight players map, AI that behaves... correctly (now avoiding projectiles) and so on. Also the latest news is that FreakNigh will take a break. That means this update shouldn't change for some times.

During this break I'm hoping to convince people to have a little tournament. Mostly to test the game, to show appreciation for FreakNigh's work, for me to record it and of course to have some fun.

Right now I mostly expect two to four players, so basically find a date and time to meet on the server, then around three or five matches either on 1vs1 or 2vs2 with one point for every fort destroyed.
Yet if more people want to participate we could organize different dates with semi-finals and if really people are motivated then we could conclude the tournament with the eight players map.
Well, actually we're most likely to use the five 4-players maps as they are the one running on the server right now. Maybe FreakNigh could change that for the occasion but who knows...
And no, no prize but the game itself, I'm only the spectator here.

Anyway, if you're interested I would like to organize it - simply - if possible during the month of November, friday or saturday. With a few time for participants to test the maps (it depends on FreakNigh but right now the server would oblige us to play the five 4-players maps) so let's they the 19, 20, 26 or 27th of November ? Any of those dates and at any hour would be fine by me.
If you could pick what suits you best...

I hope that you will like the idea, granted it's amateur by an amateur. The best would be that when he returns to coding FreakNigh will have had people playing it's game thoroughly.
XStrategy
Major
Major

Postby XStrategy » 2010-11-13, 11:58

guys, as I wrote to FreakNigh

There is no much interest here because even hard core fans want to have FUN with Z. Don't expect us to be programmers and tech geeks, most of us have no idea what to do with those files we downloaded. (at least me). Just make a simple Win7 autorun-exe to start a game. (like antares did with old Z) We dont need sources, we just want to play it and have fun.
Z and only Z1
FreakNigh
General
General

Postby FreakNigh » 2010-11-13, 17:48

XStrategy,

The latest installer (as of this post) can be found here -
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zod/fil ... e/download

Please visit here to find a more recent one though -
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zod/files/
Image Image
XStrategy
Major
Major

Postby XStrategy » 2010-11-20, 23:33

Great. It finally works for me. I am using Win7 and i used the simple installer that you provided. When the launches starts I simply input a command:

zod_engine.exe -l map_list.txt -n zlover -t red -r 800x484 -w -b blue

it it plays fine!

Guys, try it! the game is already playable and it's a lot of fun!! :cheers:
Z and only Z1
Phil K
Laser
Laser

Postby Phil K » 2010-11-22, 03:46

I can only thank you for the wonderful, and valuable work you are doing.
I do have some problems, the game won't scroll, and I have to actually select an area from the right hand side. To get the grunts to move, I have to right click - was this intended ? Is there a way to increase to full screen ? It currently takes up maybe two thirds.
But at least Im on the right track, thanks to your great work !
Id say I'm doffing my cap to you FreakNigh, but I don't wear hats ! :lol: