Post by FreakNigh » 2010-05-08, 00:55

Image Image
FreakNigh
General
General
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: The Zod Engine

Post by FreakNigh » 2010-05-08, 02:13

The more that is done the more it seems there is to do...
Image Image
BERSERK3R
Captain
Captain

Post by BERSERK3R » 2010-05-08, 18:03

FreakNigh wrote:The more that is done the more it seems there is to do...
I can imagine, but really man great work!!! :cheers:
You have no idea how much I apreciate your work ;)
Ajbizzal87
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Ajbizzal87 » 2010-05-08, 19:21

I agree with BERSERK3R, this is much more appreciated then you think freaky thanks again.... :cheers:
FreakNigh
General
General

Post by FreakNigh » 2010-05-09, 04:03

Thanks =) Ya it's pretty exhausting. It's a big and small project...

I fixed a lag issue when you were sending a lot of units at once and stuck in the fort kill end condition, default building productions, and full screen mode in. Did some work on getting buildings times right with zone ownage and building health.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elAguT6Dpy0
Image Image
buman
Major
Major

Post by buman » 2010-05-10, 00:39

hey played the release and it was fun. ts weird how you can basically see the whole map if youre in fullscreen, that really makes a lot of things easier. didnt see any major bugs aside maybe some robots partly walking through rocks. anyway it seems like patchfinding is indeed the last thing to add to make it playable and im really looking forward to that day^^ great work so far!

edit: this post is followed by to posts fromer berserk(a/er) thats weird
Last edited by buman on 2010-05-10, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.
BeSerKa
Psycho
Psycho

Post by BeSerKa » 2010-05-10, 03:00

Looking tight! I saw this on youtube and assumed this was the original, until I read that you're actually rewriting the game engine!

Downloading it now.

How do we have a game on this server you have running? I have some old school mates that'd be dying to play a MP game of Z! We never got to when we first started playing it, as that was back in the day when seldom did one own a Computer, and if they did...it was unlikely that they own 2 Computers linked up over Serial port.
Z
BERSERK3R
Captain
Captain

Post by BERSERK3R » 2010-05-10, 13:19

Freakydeaky!
Dude are you sure you're not the original dev from the game? ;)
I just watched the pathfinding vid, en wow awesome man!
This in general seems tricky to me, but then you gotta find out the algorithm of the game, like when do they walk in water, at which distance and such.
The AI and the pathfinding stuff, is this partially translated to readable scripts/logic, or is this all done on guessing?
FreakNigh
General
General

Post by FreakNigh » 2010-05-10, 17:07

Hey BERSERK3R
The pathfinding is done with an algorithm called "A*". It basically tries all the possible paths and then chooses the best one, except it does it in an extremely efficient way.

BeSerKa -
There should be some bat files in the download called like zod_engine_nighsoft_blue.bat etc and those will connect to the public server.
Image Image
FreakNigh
General
General

Post by FreakNigh » 2010-05-10, 18:33

Do you think we should append http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_%28video_game%29 for remake efforts?
Image Image
Eastwind
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Eastwind » 2010-05-10, 23:07

Hi Freaknigh :)

Glad to see your progress , about append the zod engine on wikipedia , as wikipedia is much general than zzone itself , and as result wikipedia is much more oriented toward general average user , I do think , maybe should we still wait a little bit .

The effect of the append to wikipedia is that will increase the number of people who want to play directly Zod Engine as a remake of Z , but now , it s stil in beta stage :)

It ll be more usefull to continu to keep thing inside the community , until the stage has reached for a 1.0 Zod engine , that is full playable , then show it toward general public (otherwise it can give a first bad / wrong impression based on a only alpha / beta engine )

And about true fans of Zed , they will surely find Zzone and read what s going on now , as you did and everybody did it here , ( especially considering that from a long time ago , ZZone is a reference as Z fans official website on wikipedia ) .

But that s only my humble opinion

Another question , Do you think you will implement the "explode that kill " ? I mean in Z version , when you destroy the fort at end the fort brick can fall on your robot or vehicule and then destroy it , or some time if a tank explode , it will fall back on your unit or other unit and kill them too . It s a little random element that can sometime change the winner :)
Last edited by Eastwind on 2010-05-10, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
FreakNigh
General
General

Post by FreakNigh » 2010-05-10, 23:20

I agree, you shouldn't play the zod engine right now expecting that it is Z. A lot of the mechanics are there but it still needs a lot of the personality of Z installed and this will happen mostly in the final stages of development.

As far as I know all the code for the fort pieces to damage units is in, I just haven't set the damage amount yet lol.
Image Image
FreakNigh
General
General

Post by FreakNigh » 2010-05-11, 02:32

Build times are now working vs zones and building health -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebZcnVm0udc

That reminds me, does the building level effect building times?
Image Image
Eastwind
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Eastwind » 2010-05-11, 15:46

the build time depend on the number of territory a player has , the unit that is builded (robot or tank ) , the level of this unit (grunt , psycho , laser , jeep , light tank medium tank ... ) . But the level of the building factory itself donesn't affect the build time , it s affect only wich kind of unit can be made or not ( all unit or just grunt until though but not laser ... )

Can other confirm ?
Arriga
Sniper
Sniper

Post by Arriga » 2010-05-11, 16:27

I confirm Eastwind. Also, building health obviously influences building time.