Discussions, requests and appeals to lay open the Z source code

Moderator: Brad

ZloveZ
Pyro
Pyro
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: The Zod Engine

Post by ZloveZ » 2010-07-11, 11:46

Man, looks good! Always loved putting Lasers into APCs ad then taking on bigger vehicles.
FreakNigh
General
General

Post by FreakNigh » 2010-07-17, 05:07

Here is a little work with the bridges...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMIikOZFOTo
Image Image
.andy.
Tough
Tough

Post by .andy. » 2010-07-17, 11:29

It looks very well. :D
Your coding speed is very impressive. Do you work around the clock? :wink:
ZloveZ
Pyro
Pyro

Post by ZloveZ » 2010-07-18, 17:05

Looks Amazing!
FreakNigh
General
General

Post by FreakNigh » 2010-07-20, 06:07

.andy. wrote:It looks very well. :D
Your coding speed is very impressive. Do you work around the clock? :wink:
Nah man actually I don't get much time these days =/ maybe a few hours every other day.

Here is more bridge stuff :D -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dq-nvPp-zQ
Image Image
lil' T
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by lil' T » 2010-07-21, 16:27

Although I hate to say it, he has one valid point: the images and sounds from Z are most certainly copyrighted. This is an issue I also wanted to raise up. I am not too familiar with US copyright law but can there be a more worse thing than the copyright holder demanding to take down the copyrighted material? I just hope you are not taking too much risks hosting the content from Z. It has happened a few times that game companies did ask some open source projects to remove copyrighted material they were using. Of course you could do various things to circumvent this issue, either create the sprites by yourself or provide some tools to allows players to extract those materials from the game by themselves. It would be sad to see your project going down.

That said, let us ignore joker for he is a foolish troll that provokes users and posts off-topic regularly. The forum software allows to block an individial user's posts here. If we collectively use it, he will be bored soon. Still, it would be best if an administrator would take care of him. :shake:
ZloveZ
Pyro
Pyro

Post by ZloveZ » 2010-07-21, 17:14

That joker dude loves Z so much that he has posted 16 times in the 16 years of its existence...

Hey project looks good... man it took me a while to create all the original artwork and sounds so it looked just like the original but it was just a little off.... had to do that to avoid copyright infringement!! :wink:
FreakNigh
General
General

Post by FreakNigh » 2010-07-21, 17:53

Thank you BERSERK3R, of course there is a possible copyright issue however this is an issue between me and bitmap brothers only. Not me and joker or anyone else who wants to try and use the issue pretend they can shut down my work at any time :lol: . And just because the graphics / sounds are bought / developed by bitmap brothers does not mean my code is also. So anyone who has an issue about copyright better understand this code base is 100% mine and I can continue working on it until I die if I want to. If I wanted to I could keep the development entirely private and then when anyone wanted to play it they could download the graphics illegally on their own responsibility amongst themselves (the same way 90% of people are continuing to play the original Z like joker I am sure). This isn't the first game I've cloned and the copyright issue is always screamed loudest by those who just want to prop themselves on top of everyone elses efforts and claim themselves as its god.

Btw the zod engine forum is installed I just need to tweak the look and feel now - I am a very impatient and capable person and I will not settle one second for someone like joker trashing up my work.

And thanks ZLoveZ and lil'T :D
Image Image
FreakNigh
General
General

Post by FreakNigh » 2010-07-21, 22:36

Alrightie folks the Zod Engine forum is now ready, I will be making my updates there from now on. Thanks :D

http://zod.sourceforge.net/phpBB3/index.php
Image Image
Eastwind
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Eastwind » 2010-07-22, 21:19

Dear Joker ,

There is some issue that you raised and that should be answered .

About copyright issue :

The question to know whether there is a copyright infringement or not can only be decided by a court .
Therefore the question to know whether it s illegal content or not can only be decided by a court .
Only copyright holder can claim that there is a copyright infringement on Z data in a court.
Only copyright holder have an action to bring this question in front of a court .

Joker , are you one of the copyright holder ? If that s the case , please show us proof that support this fact . Otherwise, you haven't any right to claim that there is a copyright infringement .

Then what you sayd :

1. haven't any legal effect,
2. violate Zzone 's netiquette rule .

About Zzone netiquette :

Using the forum account on Zzone , you agree to follow the netiquette's rule of Zzone forum that was wrote here : viewtopic.php?f=17&t=393

and where it s stated that :
Keep on topic
Keep in line with the topic's subject; try not to let the discussion wander off. If a discussion wanders off, create a new topic. If a topic wanders off too far, it may be split or locked.

The subject of this topic , is technical question about Zod engine , as it s stated in the first post ( Saturday , January 16 2010 at 4:46 am ), and initiated by Freaknigh , quoted below :
I've been working on my own remake called the Zod Engine. Right now I am still working on the map editor as I need a map before I can start developing the game. Some features of this remake will be - C++ open source with the ability to use any resolution. It will use the super crossplatform library SDL with the focus of being able to be compiled on as many platforms possible. There will be a centralized multiplayer area for players to start games against each other. The engine will be "multiplayer only" so that single player will just be a version of a multiplayer game with bots - letting us kill the birds single player, multiplayer, and multiple bots / teamplay all with one stone.

Here is a video of the Map editor so far -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5_qjDd_EKE
and / or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YD4sGL ... re=channel

As you can see I am using the map editor also as a renderer, it will use 80%-90% of the code that will be used to render everything in the main engine. So even though I need to spend "a lot" of time on making the map editor, it will give us most of the code for the actual game engine. Right now the map editor can place buildings and tiles, and it needs to be able to place units and zones before i can begin to move to the game engine.

I will post all sources frequently at the sourceforge page for this project -
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zod/

The Map Editor (as of 1-15-10)
http://hestia.nighsoft.net/files/zod/ma ... -15-10.png[/code]
you can still see the post here : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=621&start=0

The question of copyright issue is then off this topic .

Joker , If you have serious question about copyright issue , please open an other topic then .

Please keep on topic or further measures should be taken .

You can also find more information on Wikipedia about what netiquette mean : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette

Thank you for your understanding and for your concern for Zod Engine project .
Last edited by Eastwind on 2010-07-22, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
Zod
Admin General
Admin General

Post by Zod » 2010-07-23, 23:35

Hi all,

Joker's account and his posts has/have been deleted.

I apologize that I haven't been aware of these actions earlier. Please email or PM me when things like this happen.

Best regards,
George "Zod"
FreakNigh
General
General

Post by FreakNigh » 2010-07-24, 01:25

Alright!! Awesome Thanks man!!
Image Image
lil' T
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by lil' T » 2010-07-24, 10:05

Never mind the delay. Enjoy peace again. :cheers:
FreakNigh
General
General

Post by FreakNigh » 2010-07-25, 23:21

Here is a new full release (finally :cheers: ) . The important part of this release is the map format should be finalized. Therefor if you create a map now it should always work. Me and my roommate are going to make a full trailer of the game so far so I can update the screenshots page as well. I am not quite sure what will be next, it will probably be either grenades, the repair building, or the crane.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/zod/fi ... p/download
Image Image
goblin
Pyro
Pyro

Post by goblin » 2010-07-28, 01:45

Nice to see another update.
Glad to see your not letting some joker throw a spanner in the works.