Discussions, requests and appeals to lay open the Z source code

Moderator: Brad

jakemo89
Tough
Tough
Are you a spam bot?: No

About Zod Engine Multiplayer feature...

Postby jakemo89 » 2011-11-07, 22:53

Hello everybody! I just installed Zod Engine (which is EXCELLENT in my opinion :mrgreen:) and tried to play in co-op mode with my brother against the CPU, but I noticed we need to play for the same team in order to cooperate.
It' s a little bit confusing when we have to manage the units, you know... :rofl:
So I ask you if it' s possible to play with 2 different "friendly" teams or not :lol:

Thanks in advance,
jakemo89
FreakNigh
General
General

Re: About Zod Engine Multiplayer feature...

Postby FreakNigh » 2011-11-15, 14:02

Well "teams" / "alliances" are actually not really scheduled to be made for zod. The reason is there are many complications with the idea of two separate colors being a "team". Do you allow them to capture your flags? If not, what if you have most of their flags? Is there a forfeit flag option which begins making things complicated? What is the calculation for how much faster units should be built depending on how many territories you own?

Instead we were going to make it so you could see where others on your team / color were looking and what units they had selected etc. Among anything else that might make coop more effective.

Plus because of the style of the game its hard to make maps over a certain size. So it's hard to have a lot of separate colors on the maps meaning if we went down a "team" oriented route instead of a coop oriented one we would have severely limited the amount of players that can be in a game. Even though the maps have to remain small there can still be an over whelming amount of management required for a team color.

Either way, team or coop, you still have to share resources :wink:
Image Image
jakemo89
Tough
Tough

Re: About Zod Engine Multiplayer feature...

Postby jakemo89 » 2011-11-15, 15:31

Thank you very much FreakNigh! :D Actually I knew it wouldn't have been so easy to realise because there are so many "variables" to consider :P

We can still hope for the future...Maybe :mrgreen:
However,Zod Engine is an AWESOME game and I'm proud to play it ;)

Greetings from Italy!

jakemo89

P.S: Right after your good answer I was just wondering... Leaving the main characteristics untouched (unit production according to the territories, etc...), is there a sort of "mechanism" (not only based on team colours) that allows units to discriminate "friends" and "enemies"? Maybe this could be the key... :D

I hope I explained quite well with my "scholastic English" :mrgreen: Thanks again for your time!