Discussions, requests and appeals to lay open the Z source code

Moderator: Brad

Eastwind
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

ZED Renaissance

Postby Eastwind » 2006-03-24, 10:48

Hi all , Come back .

I know there is a project named X strategy to clone Zed with Macromedia Flash . But the problem still get about the dependancy of editor , and the probleme of flash games (it s not easy to customise it and improve it ) . Finally flash is still propriatary if, Same as Zed and we get dependant to Macromedia flash reader . If they change version and something like this , or want incompatible version release . Nobody can change it . for know the entire probleme see the topic about : Map of Zed problem : viewtopic.php?t=99

To the author of X strategy , please join us .

Do you know the Open Source project named OpenRTS ?
"
OpenRTS is an open source realtime strategy game. It features isometric graphics, networked
multiplayer and single-player scenarios. The game is being developed using Python and SDL.
The game runs on at least Linux, Windows and Mac. For more details about the game,
"

OpenRTS Goal :

"

Tentative high-level development goals

* Goal 1: Create a real time strategy game, akin to the Command & Conquer series.
* Goal 2: OpenRTS is an open source project using the GNU General Public License. See the Gna! Project for details about Libre Software.
* Goal 3: Emphasis on creating a reusable game-engine: scriptable in Python or similar, with customizable rulesets and tilesets. The game-engine should be flexible enough to allow different game-styles.
* Goal 4: Strong multiplayer to support an on-line community.
* Goal 5: Artificial Intelligence to support skirmish games

"

I have upload my documentation about Zed , for creating a Modpack for our favorite games .

here : http://www.openrts.org/wiki/index.php/G ... XZ_Modpack

Finally we can get a Zed Clone in python and for all systemes (linux windows mac )

it really cool stuff . The project is in the beta and need contributor for python code and graphic . It have realease some binary for download .
some screenshot : http://www.openrts.org/wiki/index.php/Screenshots
XStrategy
Major
Major

Postby XStrategy » 2006-03-24, 22:09

I know there is a project named X strategy to clone Zed with Macromedia Flash . But the problem still get about the dependancy of editor
Yes, recently we've started developing Z remake "X Strategy". It will be based on Flash. But i will note - every version of new MS Internet Explorer or Opera (and other browsers) have flash playes inside them, so there will be no need to find and install additional software. Game will work in your Internet Browser.
To the author of X strategy , please join us .
I will note, that i am not a programmer, just an old Z fan. Some time ago i hired professional flash programmer to start work.
I have upload my documentation about Zed , for creating a Modpack for our favorite games .
I am interested in OpenRTS Goal, and i will read your mod documentation tomorrow to discuss it with you.

But there are several important questions:

1. Who will do the work? Ordinar z fan without programming skills cant do it. Are you are programmer or have a team of programmers?

2. Who pay for the work?
I think only enthousiasm is not enough to make the whole work. it is a hard work for several months. In the past i took part in several "free" projects, based only on enthousiasm, but all of them failed, because people were tired and could not work for free for a long time. Thats why I think only commercial project can be successful. what do you think about it?
Z and only Z1
Eastwind
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Small amount accumulate to create great one .

Postby Eastwind » 2006-03-25, 16:20

1. Who will do the work? Ordinar z fan without programming skills cant do it. Are you are programmer or have a team of programmers?
u right everybody don t have programm skill , me too , I will begin to learn python for it . But it s not only code that s help , there is also other field like test the game , report bug , write manual help , write faq , search for free sound , music that s suitable , funny graphic ...

But it will be more easy , fun if we : Zed Fan , unite our energy .

2. Who pay for the work?
I think only enthousiasm is not enough to make the whole work. it is a hard work for several months. In the past i took part in several "free" projects, based only on enthousiasm, but all of them failed, because people were tired and could not work for free for a long time. Thats why I think only commercial project can be successful. what do you think about it?
Who pay zed fan ? i dono ask them :) . I think enthousiasm is enough , but we need good structure . Several Open Source project have succed why not OpenRTS Zed modpack ? you probably know Linux as one of them , but there is other like Mozilla firefox , thunderbird , Wikipedia , Apache , Mysql , PHP ... there is also good quality work in Open source game .
These project succed not only because they have supporter (all project have supporter ) , but they have good structure : Open source . So their fan can easily contribute to the project they love . Small amount accumulate to create great one .

Using openRTS will be a contribution to their project and a contribution to Zed fan community both . eg :

For openRTS they gain : Modpack , supporter , beta tester ...

for Zed fan community : get the RTS engine , and reborn the old game as the phoenix .
and also spread Zed style and enlarge the range of Zed fan .

As you probably know Zed fan have asked several time to Bitmap Brothers either to let zed be Abandonware either to release source code . No one of these was heard . what can we do ?

1: Cry
2: Clone

but if we choice the second way , we must be sure that same problem will not come back . that s why I direct the project in open source way . that s why I choice OpenRTS

as you can see in the Zed problem Map post .

it will take time , but we are not alone .
Last edited by Eastwind on 2006-03-25, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
XStrategy
Major
Major

Postby XStrategy » 2006-03-25, 17:17

But it s not only code that s help , there is also other field like test the game , report bug , write manual help , write faq , search for free sound , music that s suitable , funny graphic ...
Yes, i will be glad to help with testing, ideas, finding bug and maybe sounds.

1. But who will make code? When will they start and plan to show results?

2. I have read your documentation about ZMod, but I think we can't make 100% clone (with same names, same robots and units). You can read my ideas here: Developing X Stategy, where i decided to add several new types of units.
Z and only Z1
Eastwind
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Eastwind » 2006-03-25, 18:40

Yes, i will be glad to help with testing, ideas, finding bug and maybe sounds.
Im very Happy to hear it
1. But who will make code? When will they start and plan to show results?
The OpenRTS team release first beta test 0.2 version . you can see the screenshot here : http://home.gna.org/openrts/Screenshots.html

and download the binary here :
http://www.openrts.org/wiki/index.php/Downloads

They made an RTS and engine for it , we use their code and engine for make the Zed Modpack (graphic , sound , ruleset ... ) . All help is welcom . I will contribute source code for Zed Modpack .
2. I have read your documentation about ZMod, but I think we can't make 100% clone (with same names, same robots and units). You can read my ideas here: Developing X Stategy, where i decided to add several new types of units.
You right , the Doc I upload for XZ Modpack is just for inspiration . I read the different point for the Design X strategy it s very Interesting , and sames as the goals of the OpenRTS designs too .
XStrategy
Major
Major

Postby XStrategy » 2006-03-25, 20:53

we use their code and engine for make the Zed
1. ? how many people are currently in your "team of Z fans who make ZMod"?

2. the opensource engine is not ready, right? only 0.2 beta? when do they plan to finish it?

3. When will you start work on ZXMod? after final release of opensource engine?
Z and only Z1
Eastwind
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Eastwind » 2006-04-07, 09:45

1. ? how many people are currently in your "team of Z fans who make ZMod"?
Really , not a lot actually , everybody is welcom
2. the opensource engine is not ready, right? only 0.2 beta? when do they plan to finish it?
I dono when they plan to finish , when it s ready . It s not like a propriatary software where u get a "must" deadline . Yes its a beginning , don"t think like in close software schematic . it s different . : Release early , beta test , fix bug , and release next version

3. When will you start work on ZXMod? after final release of opensource engine?
No i will not start xzmod after final release . I will start as quickly as I can :) . That s same process , release early , beta fix quickly , release next version ., beta test .....

Actually complete the ruleset and game design at the wiki page :
http://www.openrts.org/wiki/index.php/G ... XZ_Modpack

i search some tuto for pixel art in gimp :)