ZZone : The Official Fan Website

Comments, feedback and opinions about the ZZone website.

Moderator: Brad

KISSMAD
General
General

ZZone : The Official Fan Website

Post by KISSMAD » 2006-07-16, 02:25

Hey George

Nice revamp site. I'm using IE7 beta 3 and when I click on the forum link, the forum does not open at all.

How come the Media and the Downloads are in different design? The Media design looks better than the Downloads design.

Great job.

If there was a smilie with a thumbs up, I'd post that. :lol:
RavenTS
Major
Major

Post by RavenTS » 2006-07-16, 10:26

Nice work! I prefer Opera and everythings seems to be OK!

Just a small hint: In Media-Section, der is no option in side-menue for audio-files, so you have to reload the whole media-menue if you want to access audio-files and had already a look into Image or movie-gallery...

And the link-section is of course also very nice..! ;D

Best Regards

A. Neumann aka RavenTS
Zod
Admin General
Admin General
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Zod » 2006-07-16, 20:25

@KISSMAD

IE 7 Problem
I am personally very picky with my web design. I am doing it professionally for many years now and I gave it up a long time ago trying to be browser-compatible. I concentrate on being W3C compatible. If a browser can't handle that then it is definitely a browser problem. Microsoft was always know for their propreitary interpretation of W3C code even adding tags and attributes that don't exist. Well, they figured that that is the wrong thing to do and are doing a much better job on IE7 than on IE6. Don't even get me started with IE6. Anybody who uses that browser today puts himself into many security risks and will not see W3C compliant websites as they were designed.

However, the new ZZone bases on a content management system that I did not write. Unfortunately Joomla is not a 100% W3C compliant. So as I encounter mistakes I will eliminate them.

Having looked into the Forum problem with IE7 it must be blamed on IE7. The forum is displayed inside an <iframe> tag. The tag holds an attribute named WIDTH= and was set to "100%". This is valid W3C code: see here. IE7 obviously cannot interprete a precentage value for this attribut but expects a pixel value. After changing that it works in IE7.

I have extracted this one page into http://zzone.lewe.com/test.html. If you wanna run it through the W3C Validator you will see that the markup language is absolutely correct.

Downloads and Media Section
I was actually thinking about that too. Thanks for your opinion on that. I could have put all files to download into the Downloads section. The Downloads section is actually a Joomla component offering many nice features like an anti-leech system, hit counts etc. But I though it is more comfortable to have the sounds and videos presented with screenshots or direct access possibilities. I will think about it again, however, I will rather put everything into the Downloads section since it also is much easier to maintain it there from my side.

@RavenTS

Thanks for the hint. I have now put the Audio link into the Media submenu as well so you can always access it from there while in the Media section. I think you did a great job on the German strategy guide so I think it belongs in the Links section here.

Best regards,
Zod
RavenTS
Major
Major

Post by RavenTS » 2006-07-18, 01:06

Z weather? What the heck..? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Zod
Admin General
Admin General
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Zod » 2006-07-18, 02:06

What do you mean? I was so proud after having that funny idea... :cheers:

Those are actually real weather feeds from the Sahara, from close to the North Pole, from the Brzialian jungle and from a big city. So I thought, hey, that's cool. :mrgreen:
RavenTS
Major
Major

Post by RavenTS » 2006-07-18, 09:27

Zod wrote:What do you mean? I was so proud after having that funny idea... :cheers:

Those are actually real weather feeds from the Sahara, from close to the North Pole, from the Brzialian jungle and from a big city. So I thought, hey, that's cool. :mrgreen:
LOL, what about a weather-cam with "live-pictures"..? :rofl:
CHYROS
General
General

Post by CHYROS » 2006-07-18, 13:45

HAHAHA, the weather forecast thing is just BEAUTIFUL! Nice work, again!
Remember, the meek shall inherit nothing. -- The Book of Cataclysm