Command & Conquer? Generals

All the stuff that does not fit anywhere else

Moderator: Brad

KISSMAD
General
General

Command & Conquer? Generals

Post by KISSMAD » 2006-09-30, 01:34

Has anyone played this game? How does it compare to Z and Steel Soldiers?
CHYROS
General
General

Post by CHYROS » 2006-09-30, 05:51

I've been playing it from since it came out; it's definately an enduring RTS in my opinion.

It can hardly be compared to Z though, not in terms of quality, but in concept. CnC Generals revolves around a much more conservative idea; units building structures, for which you need resources (in the case of Generals, only money).

In terms of strategy, I think in Z it is much more important than in Generals. Nonetheless, Generals plays very flexibly and will give you a very good time. If you have the expansion pack as well, you can download a super-cool mod named "shockwave" for it.

I think Z and Generals shouldn't be compared on a "which is better" scale, but should rather exist next to each other; in terms of gameplay, you can certainly talk about two completely different genres.
Remember, the meek shall inherit nothing. -- The Book of Cataclysm
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2006-09-30, 06:29

CHYROS wrote:I've been playing it from since it came out; it's definately an enduring RTS in my opinion.

It can hardly be compared to Z though, not in terms of quality, but in concept. CnC Generals revolves around a much more conservative idea; units building structures, for which you need resources (in the case of Generals, only money).

In terms of strategy, I think in Z it is much more important than in Generals. Nonetheless, Generals plays very flexibly and will give you a very good time. If you have the expansion pack as well, you can download a super-cool mod named "shockwave" for it.

I think Z and Generals shouldn't be compared on a "which is better" scale, but should rather exist next to each other; in terms of gameplay, you can certainly talk about two completely different genres.
Where is the best place to get mods for the game?
CHYROS
General
General

Post by CHYROS » 2006-09-30, 13:40

http://planetcnc.gamespy.com/ is a nice hub for news about all kinds of things C&C, the shockwave mod is at http://www.shockwavemod.com/ .
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2006-10-01, 01:16

Thanks CHYROS.
lumina
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by lumina » 2006-12-23, 21:21

I have it and Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 is much better. lol

Generals is a ram eating beast but yet looks worse than Rise of Nations because they tried to make it 100% 3D when they shouldn't have. 3D RTS sucks anyways normally. Only one that is totally 3D Il ike is Axis and Allies RTS.

I feel bad saying it because i'm an old C&C ran but it is my second most hated game for C&C second only to Tiberian Sun.

If you like something that isn't a straight forward RTS game try Axis and Allies RTS. It is related too the board game. You don't gather resources and such and combat is kind of fun on it for a while. AI is pretty poor at times but if the AI gets going holy cow it's annoying trying to fight them as they get kicked to their rear they retreat regroup repair and come again with same regiments and company's all over agian. XD

This has to be a moded version of the game because an army this size isn't possible because of the 20 building limit for structors can't have enough manufacturing to support such a large army. >.<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1PXlSH7ssA

If you really want a good RTS game Company of Heros one of the most resent big hit's is the most realistic RTS out there right now. You can even zoom in to the point on your troops that you feel like it's a shooter game visual wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQCRBByM ... ed&search=
"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
-- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2006-12-24, 01:12

I downloaded the demo of C&C Generals the other day and it does not work on my system. I don't know why. I wanted to play the demo cause EA have a games pack with C&C Generals plus the expansion and a couple of other games for $40. I thought is was a good price for them.
CHYROS
General
General

Post by CHYROS » 2006-12-24, 01:38

KISSMAD wrote:I downloaded the demo of C&C Generals the other day and it does not work on my system. I don't know why. I wanted to play the demo cause EA have a games pack with C&C Generals plus the expansion and a couple of other games for $40. I thought is was a good price for them.
If you mean the First Decade pack, that's a good deal indeed, I have it myself.

Red Alert 2 is very good too, but I don't think it's better than generals. Both games are really worth having though, are completely different, and can be used next to one another quite well. They both have very worthwile expansion packs, too.
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2006-12-24, 04:57

CHYROS wrote:
KISSMAD wrote:I downloaded the demo of C&C Generals the other day and it does not work on my system. I don't know why. I wanted to play the demo cause EA have a games pack with C&C Generals plus the expansion and a couple of other games for $40. I thought is was a good price for them.
No I mean the EA Strategy Collection. It includes LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth, Black & White 2, Black & White 2: Battle of the Gods, Command & Conquer Generals and Command & Conquer: Zero Hour.
lumina
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by lumina » 2006-12-24, 19:15

KISSMAD wrote:
CHYROS wrote:
No I mean the EA Strategy Collection. It includes LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth, Black & White 2, Black & White 2: Battle of the Gods, Command & Conquer Generals and Command & Conquer: Zero Hour.
C&C Decade edition is what I bought. Despite i owned some C&C games already. But the Decade edition comes with every single C&C game ever made. Including the old original, the original I say is the reason Z never took off in the United States... darn you C&C!!!. I kind of missed Red Alert and Red Alert 2 and the Original version I didn't have no more. All the C&C games combined including Generals and it's expansion sadly was cheaper than C&C Generals and it's expansion sold alone. XD
"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
-- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)