Z for mac?

Since Z95 is not on sale anymore here is the place to trade, sell or let others know if you find a spot where you can get your hands on it.

Moderator: Brad

Decker
Sniper
Sniper

Z for mac?

Postby Decker » 2008-03-14, 14:06

Hello everybody,

glad i found a forum like that with people that share the same passion for a game that survived in our hearts now for such a long time.

Ok i got an Imac and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to make it run. Havn't found much information about it on the web so far. Also in terms of getting the actual game for the mac!

Thanks in advance
Zen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Z for mac?

Postby Zen » 2008-03-14, 15:08

Welcome to the forum! Nice to have you here :)

The dos emulation software for the original Z version (not Z95) seems to work on all platforms, also Max OS X.

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

A few weeks ago I chated with somebody who got it working on Linux and it was even possible to play online via ipx.

So give it a try and report your experiences.

Thank you!
Jabber: zen at jabber.ccc.de (no email!)
Decker
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Decker » 2008-03-16, 21:47

Thx for the reply...
ok got DOSBOX now, but it will be a mission to purchase a Z mac version :| Since it is not possible to run the PC-version with DOSBOX on a Mac.
Someone got a place where i can order from? Because i know there is a mac version for that game. I checked Underdogs, but that simply leads me to a site where i can only order the DOS version. I read on the bitmap brothers site about an apple version.
Decker
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Decker » 2008-03-16, 22:06

I still hope for players here at the forum that play Z on the mac and could help me out :D I can't be the only one....
BallWin
Major
Major

Postby BallWin » 2008-03-16, 22:41

Decker wrote:I still hope for players here at the forum that play Z on the mac and could help me out :D I can't be the only one....

For help probably see topic DosBox, Mac OS X and Z.
Zen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Zen » 2008-03-16, 23:59

Decker wrote:Thx for the reply...
Since it is not possible to run the PC-version with DOSBOX on a Mac.
Of course you can with dosbox. That is what I explained to you above :?: There is no Z mac version! Forget about this crazy thought...
Decker
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Decker » 2008-03-17, 02:56

@Zen: ok my bad, read wrong information on some other forum

anyway i got the classic missing E_logo.jv and i can't figure it out so far..

I did mount the game via DOSBOX and simply copied over the main.pac and others to the location of the z.bat. So i can run it and it shows the Renegade screen, than crash. Btw. i do not have a CD it was a torrent ( i also buy the game later for support) so it is simply in a games folder on my HD and DOSBOX is linked to that.
I searched the forum and topic related threads about it, but still don't get what to do.

What's the fix?
lil' T
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Z on DOSBox

Postby lil' T » 2008-03-17, 14:58

These installation instructions ensure that you can cleanly install and play Z in DOSBox without getting any missing file errors.

Why still use Z for DOS when there is Z95? Well, you can play Z on any platform DOSBox has been ported to. Z95 is for Windows 95/98 and though there are patches to make it run on XP, you cannot play Z95 on Linux or Mac. Also, you'll never know whether one day, these patches stop working on newer version of Windows or an update to your system breaks it. DOSBox is still actively developed and continues to increase operating system support.

It is required that you obtain either the Z (for DOS, not Z95) CD or ISO image from somewhere. Both will lead to success. I advice against using already packed up versions of Z, often labeled as "Z-DOS" or "Z-COOL". They are modified in such a way that you can't play online with owners of the original game.

Anyway, here is a graphical representation of your options:

Original CD --> Install Z --> Play
Original CD --> ISO
ISO --> Install Z --> Play
ISO --> Original CD

Make sure the colored descriptors match up.

If you have an ISO image, you can burn it to a CD in case you do not already have the original CD. Just tell DOSBox to mount your real CD-ROM drive correctly by copying these lines right below the [autoexec] section of your dosbox configuration file (dosbox.cfg) file. The path to your real CD-ROM drive might differ, so change it accordingly to your system. On Linux, if you just have one drive it is /media/cdrom0 by default, whereas in Windows it is usually D:\. Z is preconfigured to look for the drive letter D, so we will use that:
mount D /media/cdrom0 -t cdrom
If you do not have a CD writer or do not want to burn a CD, you can opt to mount the ISO image file as a virtual drive in DOSBox. You can also produce the ISO file by yourself from the original CD. The benefit of this method is that you do not have to have the CD inserted any time you want to play Z. In that case you would have to append this to your dosbox.conf.
imgmount D /path/to/your/cd/image.iso -t iso
Either way, make sure to set the correct drive letter parameter for your game. Depending on which drive letter you chose in the above code lines, you might have to open the Z.bat from the game's directory in a text editor and change the green letter:
@ZED.EXE /CD:D /eng %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
Advanced users can also replace the video files in the cuts folder by zero byte files to keep the ISO file size at minimum.

Before you can start installation, choose a folder on your file system where Z shall be installed to. For example, let's choose C:\Games\Z on Windows. To avoid problems, we will give Z the drive letter C in DOSBox. Add these lines below the other ones in dosbox.cfg:
mount C C:\Games\Z
C:
After the steps above, start DOSBox, type "D", press Enter, type "setup" and hit Enter again. This will start the setup routine, which I assume you have no problems going through. When asked for the destination directory opt for "C::". Now anytime you start up DOSBox, you can start Z by typing "Z". Finally, check if you can play a level without crashing. If it does, the instructions worked for you. Congratulations. :shake:

A final note: if you find DOSBox too complicated to use, I recommend you have a look at a graphical frontend for it, such as DOSBox Game Launcher. It comes bundled with the latest DOSBox version, it requires you to install Java. This frontend dramatically simplifies installing games, mounting images and maintaining individual configurations. Try it!

Greetz, lil' T
Last edited by lil' T on 2010-09-01, 21:20, edited 3 times in total.
Decker
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Decker » 2008-03-17, 18:20

Danke fuer die schnelle Antwort!

Ich kann ein wenig deutsch, hehe. Hatte mal eine deutsche Freundin.
Also brauch ich ISO file, waere am besten. CD brenner hab ich in meinem imac also konnte ich auch machen.

Ich werd mal suchen wie ich es in ein ISO datei bekomme. Viele deutsche Freunde hier im Forum ^^.
Decker
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Decker » 2008-03-18, 13:03

Ok got the iso file. Gonna try it out tonight. Wish me luck, mates!
Decker
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Decker » 2008-03-18, 21:13

Ok i got the z.iso file mounted but if i try to install it it tells me all the time that there is no space on C for 20 MB. I've got 170 GB free... man that is truly a mission to get it running :empty:
Zen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Zen » 2008-03-18, 22:11

Did you mount your Mac partition as a drive in dosbox? Sorry I can't tell you how to do this but I think this must be the reason. Maybe you ask in the official dosbox forum, because we cannot answer those questions:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/index.php?c=7

I think there should already be a topic about this (mounting mac drives). Just search there.

best regards,
Zen
Decker
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Decker » 2008-03-18, 23:49

Thx for all the help! It works now! I did mount the drive in a wrong way but now it does work :)

Woohooo! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Zen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Zen » 2008-03-19, 04:22

Nice one! :shake: It would be great if you post a kind of description/tutorial how to do it for other mac users. Does it work without any errors and really fluid?
Decker
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Decker » 2008-03-19, 05:01

I followed the instructions lil' T posted and it worked without any problems.
Dosbox does a fine job on the mac.

Finished the Singleplayer already. Hehe, ohh damn so much fun and it is such a simple but great gameplay.