Moderator: Brad

DaMarkov
Captain
Captain
Are you a spam bot?: No

ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-03, 19:22

Hi everyone,
I would like present my current project "ZED Online".
My vision is to build a good user interface for the Zod Engine, have great online multiplayer support (ranking, lobby, match-making etc.), fix some bugs in the Zod Engine, new level editor etc.

So far, I have worked on the user interface, ported the Zod Engine to SDL2, create a simple lobby server, fixed some bugs (and probably created a few :P) and rewritten the keyboard&mouse input.
For those of you who are only interested in single player: Yes, single player is of course also supported.

Here are a few videos that show the state of the project:

https://youtu.be/RKmKpTe-gVo
https://youtu.be/OnAJTml5znY
https://youtu.be/3UZSFsY6sSA
https://youtu.be/SFmoCg_F22w

The project web page is: https://sourceforge.net/projects/zedonline/

I am posting this to ask you, the community, for feedback. What kind of changes would you like to see in the Zod Engine?
What kind of bugs need to be fixed? Are there any additional game modes/ideas you would like to see?
BallWin
Commander
Commander

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by BallWin » 2019-01-04, 14:52

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-01-03, 19:22
https://youtu.be/RKmKpTe-gVo
https://youtu.be/OnAJTml5znY
The project web page is: https://sourceforge.net/projects/zedonline/
I am posting this to ask you, the community, for feedback. What kind of changes would you like to see in the Zod Engine?
What kind of bugs need to be fixed? Are there any additional game modes/ideas you would like to see?
It looks impressive. Good job. :cheers:
Noted
// ======================================================
[https://youtu.be/RKmKpTe-gVo]
Questionable work of a howitzer against a medium tank.
timing[9.55] Two shells hit the tank. The average survived. The howitzer has been destroyed.
The situation is unlikely.
Getting into a stationary tank, the chances of survival = 0.
Getting into a mobile tank, the chances of survival ~ (0.2-0.4).
timing[11.38] The average tank against howitzers. Again there were two hits. The tank survived.
This is wrong. It doesn't match the original.
(Expensive weapons don't make sense if they can't destroy a simple target.)
The howitzer attack must be increased. And we need to check the radius. I thought it was smaller than it should be (R hwz > R havy).

*** In my opinion the White color bad. Robots are like snowmen.
[https://youtu.be/OnAJTml5znY]
timing[1.50-1.54] A Robot Factory produces one robot? What was that?

General conmment: - you need to enable non-combat robot animations.
This is important for the gaming atmosphere. Example-see the ending of the game and the original.
What do your robots (Zod Engine robots) do after winning? Nothing. They stand still. What happens in the original game?
We see a show of happy robots! Spectacular imitation of emotions. You have fun, too. This is the work of game atmosphere.
Without it, any engine is just a skeleton.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-04, 16:03

BallWin wrote:
2019-01-04, 14:52
[https://youtu.be/RKmKpTe-gVo]
Questionable work of a howitzer against a medium tank.
timing[9.55] Two shells hit the tank. The average survived. The howitzer has been destroyed.
The situation is unlikely.
Getting into a stationary tank, the chances of survival = 0.
Getting into a mobile tank, the chances of survival ~ (0.2-0.4).
timing[11.38] The average tank against howitzers. Again there were two hits. The tank survived.
This is wrong. It doesn't match the original.
(Expensive weapons don't make sense if they can't destroy a simple target.)
The howitzer attack must be increased. And we need to check the radius. I thought it was smaller than it should be (R hwz > R havy).
I will check how the damage is calculated, expect feedback on this issue in a few hours.

EDIT: The medium has 50/74 hit points. A bullet from the howitzer has a damage value of 10/24. So two hits would take our a medium tank since 20/24 > 50/74. However! This only applies if these were direct hits. In the video at 9:55 the first bullet hits the tank dead on taking more than half its health. The impact of the second bullet is unfortunately not shown in the video.
At 11.38 the first bullet almost missed the medium tank, hence the tank took only minor damage and could survive the second bullet barely.
I will watch a few videos of the DOS version. You are certainly right, the chances that a medium takes out a howitzer should be smaller I feel. I might either increase the damage of a howitzer bullet or increase the damage radius of the bullet.
This means I should also hurry up to get the replay feature done do analyse these situations more carefully :-)
BallWin wrote:
*** In my opinion the White color bad. Robots are like snowmen.
I agree they look awful. I made them brighter since they were almost grey and hard to recognize in the Zod engine.
BallWin wrote:
[https://youtu.be/OnAJTml5znY]
timing[1.50-1.54] A Robot Factory produces one robot? What was that?
The robot factory produced two robots (toughs) they were however stacked (in the same position). After they exit the factory the will "split apart" after at most 1 second.
In the video I gave them immediately a command, so they remained stacked a bit longer. But, yeah, I see your point this should be improved. Noted as a bug.
BallWin wrote:
General conmment: - you need to enable non-combat robot animations.
This is important for the gaming atmosphere. Example-see the ending of the game and the original.
What do your robots (Zod Engine robots) do after winning? Nothing. They stand still. What happens in the original game?
We see a show of happy robots! Spectacular imitation of emotions. You have fun, too. This is the work of game atmosphere.
Without it, any engine is just a skeleton.
So far you only hear the winning/losing voice samples. They will be played when your fort is destroyed or the last enemy is wiped out.
I was thinking of including a few of these voice samples every time when destroying a fort.
I have to check if these robots animations you mentioned are included in the "assets" folder of the Zod engine. If yes, then I would take me about a day to include these animation. If not, then I would need the graphics for that first.
Last edited by DaMarkov on 2019-01-04, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
BallWin
Commander
Commander

Post by BallWin » 2019-01-04, 16:44

I briefed the veterans on your work. Sent a message to FreakNigh as well. They can give more accurate comments. If still interested in the game.
BallWin
Commander
Commander

Post by BallWin » 2019-01-04, 16:53

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-01-04, 16:03
I have to check if these robots animations you mentioned are included in the "assets" folder of the Zod engine. If yes, then I would take me about a day to include these animation. If not, then I would need the graphics for that first.
In my Zod Engine does not include non-combat robot animations.

There were Smoking robots, robots fishing, exercise, dancing, jumping for joy and so on.
complete list of animations:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=592
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=389
Last edited by BallWin on 2019-01-04, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-04, 17:05

BallWin wrote:
2019-01-04, 16:53
DaMarkov wrote:
2019-01-04, 16:03
In my Zod Engine does not include non-combat robot animations. Once there was presented the player of the game animations. It contains a complete list. There were Smoking robots, robots fishing, exercise, dancing, jumping for joy and so on.
I also couldn't find these animations. I have to ask FreakNigh how he extracted the other animations from the game. So far I couldn't reach him though.

Thanks a lot for notifying the veterans!!
BallWin
Commander
Commander

Post by BallWin » 2019-01-04, 17:10

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-01-04, 17:05
I also couldn't find these animations. I have to ask FreakNigh how he extracted the other animations from the game. So far I couldn't reach him though.
Look here
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=592
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=389
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-04, 17:21

BallWin wrote:
2019-01-04, 17:10
DaMarkov wrote:
2019-01-04, 17:05
Look here
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=592
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=389
Ahh thanks!! So the DAT and EXP files are just a bunch of bitmaps with an index and a weird palette!
Should be quite easy to port the extractor to C++ or write my own one. I am surprised the download links still work.

By the way, I have heard there is a Russian fan-translation of Z. Do you know if it is complete and how I could get the Russian sound files?
BallWin
Commander
Commander

Post by BallWin » 2019-01-04, 17:42

You have reported that the zod_map_converter is not working properly. Or am I confused? CZMapDoc Files.h, zed_unpack.h once upon a time I wrote (unboxing wrote Meeky). What's wrong?
DaMarkov wrote:
2019-01-04, 17:21
By the way, I have heard there is a Russian fan-translation of Z. Do you know if it is complete and how I could get the Russian sound files?
In my opinion, a fan-made sound translation into Russian is a bad idea. I've never been interested in that. I can search the archives if you need me to.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-04, 18:00

BallWin wrote:
2019-01-04, 17:42
DaMarkov wrote:
2019-01-04, 17:21
In my opinion, a fan-made sound translation into Russian is a bad idea. I've never been interested in that. I can search the archives if you need me to.
Thanks! I would love to include the Russian sound translation since my project already supports the English, German, French, Spanish and Italian sound files.

BallWin wrote:
2019-01-04, 17:42
You have reported that the zod_map_converter is not working properly. Or am I confused? CZMapDoc Files.h, zed_unpack.h once upon a time I wrote (unboxing wrote Meeky). What's wrong?
CZMapDoc reads the files quite well, but only converts the tile data to the Zod map format. I extended it to convert zone, object, bridge, rock and starting unit data.
There are certain map item that I was unfortunately not able to convert yet. One in Level 4 and a lot of volcano in Level 5 - 8.
I bigger problem for me is that CZMapDoc does not have the starting position units for the multiplayer levels (for the red team).
Also there is a problem in Level 15. Some bridges have size 3x3 (width x height). Zod Engine however assumes a format of 3x4 + extra_links and extra_links is a unsigned integer this results in a minor graphical glitch when I convert the Level 15.
Eventually, I will have to re-convert all map files. Observe that also the zone information is wrong in all map files included in the Zod engine. Some zone are slightly shifted by 1 or 2 tiles.
BallWin
Commander
Commander

Post by BallWin » 2019-01-04, 18:42

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-01-04, 18:00
Thanks! I would love to include the Russian sound translation since my project already supports the English, German, French, Spanish and Italian sound files.
Ок. I'll search.
DaMarkov wrote:
2019-01-04, 18:00
CZMapDoc reads the files quite well, but only converts the tile data to the Zod map format. I extended it to convert zone, object, bridge, rock and starting unit data.
There are certain map item that I was unfortunately not able to convert yet. One in Level 4 and a lot of volcano in Level 5 - 8.
I bigger problem for me is that CZMapDoc does not have the starting position units for the multiplayer levels (for the red team).
Also there is a problem in Level 15. Some bridges have size 3x3 (width x height). Zod Engine however assumes a format of 3x4 + extra_links and extra_links is a unsigned integer this results in a minor graphical glitch when I convert the Level 15.
Eventually, I will have to re-convert all map files. Observe that also the zone information is wrong in all map files included in the Zod engine. Some zone are slightly shifted by 1 or 2 tiles.
This is only for loading maps and later editing. Not for play. To configure the commands used ZTools (see details viewtopic.php?f=12&t=448).
On the map, the Volcano has been non-standart tiles. If memory serves. In particular-a huge mountain in the middle of the map.
BallWin
Commander
Commander

Post by BallWin » 2019-01-04, 20:18

DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-04, 21:01

BallWin wrote:
2019-01-04, 20:18
RU Sound https://yadi.sk/d/rh54kHqaHeqpTQ or https://yadi.sk/d/EJ5RdwcOm50rRA (one of them)
Awesome!! Thanks a lot! I converted the files to .wav, works like a charm in Zod Engine and ZED Online.
The voice samples after destroying the enemy's fort are amazing ^^
KISSMAD
General
General

Post by KISSMAD » 2019-01-06, 06:37

The white and black robots are very hard to see, they are just a blobs. Maybe change them to orange, grey, brown or pink.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-06, 17:09

KISSMAD wrote:
2019-01-06, 06:37
The white and black robots are very hard to see, they are just a blobs. Maybe change them to orange, grey, brown or pink.
orange might be to close to yellow (which is in my opinion already to close to red). I tried grey, but then everything looks neutral basically.
Brown and Pink seem reasonable. I will try some recoloring and then post a screenshot here and let the community decide what looks best, I think that's a good approach.

Thanks for the feedback! :-)