The Zod Engine needs your help!

Discussions, requests and appeals to lay open the Z source code

Moderator: Brad

APC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: The Zod Engine needs your help!

Post by APC » 2019-01-08, 23:45

But I was talking about different types of AI.
E.g. AI which defends fort a lot, AI which builds a lot of turrets, AI which makes rush with plenty of low-tech units, ...

You are talking abour one universal balanced AI - and for easier settings it would be a bit degraded.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-09, 00:09

APC wrote:
2019-01-08, 23:45
But I was talking about different types of AI.
E.g. AI which defends fort a lot, AI which builds a lot of turrets, AI which makes rush with plenty of low-tech units, ...

You are talking abour one universal balanced AI - and for easier settings it would be a bit degraded.
I see, that seems interesting to me. But this also requires a lot of testing and fine-tuning. Writing like 3 AIs with different behavior is, I think, quite some work.
APC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by APC » 2019-01-09, 15:53

For sure a lot of work. I am surprised you decided to invest your time, energy and effort also to ZED Online. Maybe you are familiar with that kind of programming and it is not a lot of work for you.
It is possible to play online Z game nowadays - the Nightsoft server for ZOD Engine is not used a lot (but also not dead), the access there is for free and without restrictions. I met there in combat some player "SULLA", he seems to be familiar with all the multiplayer maps there and also abilities of Z-units. Really different experience as to play against AI.

You have my support. I am one of this living gaming dinosaurs who likes mechanics and execution of some games made in 1995-2005 more as nowadays games. And there may be more gamers of this kind somewhere here around.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-01-09, 18:13

APC wrote:
2019-01-09, 15:53
For sure a lot of work. I am surprised you decided to invest your time, energy and effort also to ZED Online. Maybe you are familiar with that kind of programming and it is not a lot of work for you.
It definitely is a lot of work, but it is so far a lot of fun. I few times when testing the code I actually spent a few hours in matches against bots ^^
Also writing the level editor is somewhat relaxing. It requires a lot of code but is is quite meditative to write it.

I have programmed for almost 20 years now (mostly in C++), so as long as I am not stuck fixing some bugs deep in the Zod engine the progress has been quite smooth so far.
This is my first time to work with OpenGL, but I worked a lot with DirectX, so the code is easy to read for me since all the concepts are the same.
Eventually, I have to rewrite the netcode to UDP and I only have experience in TCP this might be a hurdle. That is one of the reasons I shifted the netcode rewrite far back in my roadmap.
APC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by APC » 2019-01-10, 07:25

I am industrial programmer (Assembler, visualisation), so in C++ I would be able to do some minor modifications but definitely not something on empty sheet. The network issues are completely out of my reach.
Few days ago I installed Zod Engine also on one old laptop and I was forced to switch of OpenGL support, because screen was flickering and major part of textures was white. But the game is running smooth also on that old laptop and without OpenGL support.
I appreciate also the "portable" triat of Zod Engine. You can just ZIP it and copy to another computer, it seems there are not hiddes files somewhere in Windows, Users or AppData folders.

About the AI. It could be made just like in Chess engines. Priorities for different tasks tweaked by easily accessible variables. Like QueenKiller in chess has value for own queen set to 9 pawns and for enemy Queen to 15 pawns. So in confrontation Queen against Queen he takes enemy Queen almost in every situation. Then it could be nice to adjust 4-5 sets of variables - each of it would make one complex personality balanced for its purpose in all tasks. And then the engine would randomly pick one out of this 5 personalities to bots. So the human player would recognize only after 2-3 minutes of gameplay which bot is which personality, watching actions of that bot.