ZTool - a Z Editor Single-Player tool

Post questions and issues for Antares' Z Expansion XP patch here. This comfortable launcher allows to play Z Expansion in W2K/XP/Vista.

Moderator: Brad

DvD
Sniper
Sniper

ZTool - a Z Editor Single-Player tool

Postby DvD » 2008-07-17, 22:05

First of all I'm new here to this forum, but not to the game. I own the game since 1996-7 IIRC and even now I still get addicted by the formula. Only recently I discovered Z95 and its wonderful editor, something I dreamt about when I, as a child, played Z and wondered about an editor.

Unfortunately, the Z editor only makes multiplayer maps, but the excellent Antares' XP patch does mention the possibily of creating proper single-player maps:
Creation of new single-player map
Z95 has its own map editor called ZEditor. Unfortunately it was developed only for creating multiplayer maps. But using our new patch you can make even singleplayer maps! After creating and saving new map, it is saved in folder like "level??" where "" is a letter from "a" to "f". To be able to load such map from singleplayer you must rename this folder and file "level??.exp" in that folder to "level**" where ** is a number from 97 to 159) for example level100 and level100.exp

Than you must use special utility ZTool from BallWin, to place starting units on map!
Apart from the fact that the site is in russian (direct link to the file is this) the direct link is broken. Does anyone own this little utility, or haven't I been able to search properly?
InPhExtiouS
Grunt
Grunt

Re: ZTool - a Z Editor Single-Player tool

Postby InPhExtiouS » 2008-07-17, 22:48

Here you are buddy:

The link is a bit slow, but it's worth waiting for
BallWin wrote:
Unoff ModPak for Z:
-- ZEditor (en, ru) and necessary folders
-- ZTools v. 093
-- Help ZEditor (ru)
-- Help ZTools (en, ru)
-- New option ZTools 092 (ru)
-- Help "Modding Z" (ru)

Size 1,7 Mb. Download

Note: Works independently. There is no necessity to establish game.
To establish a mode of the screen - 16 K colours.
BallWin
Major
Major

Postby BallWin » 2008-07-17, 23:02

DvD wrote:First of all I'm new here to this forum, but not to the game. I own the game since 1996-7 IIRC and even now I still get addicted by the formula. Only recently I discovered Z95 and its wonderful editor, something I dreamt about when I, as a child, played Z and wondered about an editor.

Unfortunately, the Z editor only makes multiplayer maps, but the excellent Antares' XP patch does mention the possibily of creating proper single-player maps...

Apart from the fact that the site is in russian (direct link to the file is this) the direct link is broken. Does anyone own this little utility, or haven't I been able to search properly?
DvD and InPhExtiouS:
--- Greetings, welcome to the forums!
The help in English and working links look here.
New maps search here and here.
DvD
Sniper
Sniper

Postby DvD » 2008-07-18, 10:53

Very helpful indeed. Thank you!
DvD
Sniper
Sniper

Postby DvD » 2008-07-19, 16:05

I experimented with the editor and finally managed to create a small single-player map. I do have a problem though: when I select several starting units, ZTool only lets me place one kind of these units; i.e. in ZEditor I place for example a Grunt (25,19) and then a Jeep (30,20) in the territory where the Blue fort is located - the second from top left. I save and launch ZTool.

At this point, all is fine until I try to select a Jeep from the Start Unit list, but the software just 'bounces' over the previous unit (grunt) making it impossible to select any other unit. Any workaround I tried (save and reload, etc.) failed.

I am including the level I am creating, in case that may be necessary. Thanks in advance if anyone can enlighten me.
Attachments
levela2.zip
(18.32 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
BallWin
Major
Major

Postby BallWin » 2008-07-20, 11:43

DvD wrote:I experimented with the editor and finally managed to create a small single-player map. I do have a problem though: when I select several starting units, ZTool only lets me place one kind of these units; i.e. in ZEditor I place for example a Grunt (25,19) and then a Jeep (30,20) in the territory where the Blue fort is located - the second from top left. I save and launch ZTool.
At this point, all is fine until I try to select a Jeep from the Start Unit list, but the software just 'bounces' over the previous unit (grunt) making it impossible to select any other unit. Any workaround I tried (save and reload, etc.) failed.
I am including the level I am creating, in case that may be necessary. Thanks in advance if anyone can enlighten me.
Has checked up. This is the case:
-- Some disorder with display
-- Thus the code is formed correctly

I have corrected a problem.
Try new version ZTools (0.932).

Unoff the mod-pack (for Z DOS, Z95) is changed -- now it has version ZTools 0.932).

Thank DvD!
DvD
Sniper
Sniper

Postby DvD » 2008-07-20, 15:09

Works great now, thanks!
DvD
Sniper
Sniper

Postby DvD » 2008-07-22, 12:44

Another small bug is that, if you right-click on a Turret in the Output list, the program will crash. But then this is irrelevant afterall; I have another question.

Many - if not all - maps of Z, be they custom or not, have different starting units for Red and Blue. Typically, Blue is given more so to give the AI a head-start. Is this possible with ZTool? I tried to add units manually but the game will just ignore the added data and will retain the units I have placed in ZEditor.

Other than that, I will repeat myself: that's a great piece of work.
BallWin
Major
Major

Postby BallWin » 2008-07-28, 23:38

DvD wrote:Many - if not all - maps of Z, be they custom or not, have different starting units for Red and Blue. Typically, Blue is given more so to give the AI a head-start. Is this possible with ZTool? I tried to add units manually but the game will just ignore the added data and will retain the units I have placed in ZEditor.
I am sorry, not at once has understood your question (I poorly know the English language, it is my problem).
Just so!
However a ZEditor adds some restrictions (the bad inheritance of orientation on a multi-play):
-- in maps for Z95 the amount of the opponents should be identical!
Superfluous units will be ignored.
For original cards Z (DOS, including initial 20 levels in Z95) such restriction does not exist. There it is possible to increase army of the opponent without restrictions. ZEditor is used only as a visual means for reception of coordinates. Thus use ZTools for editing only original CPU of a file.
Where is the exit here? To manage by ruses!
1) Place nearby from an initial position of enemy units empty machines and guns. Each engaged machine is considered as new group (works as new battle unit)
2) Initially distribute for blue team (mode single player) more territories (by amount, not on the size!)
3) Take care of the good approaches to the nearest flags for a blue team (highway, bridges). Guarantee to PC-children fast moving!
4) For a red team on quite the contrary.

The searches of game balance consist in it — it is necessary to give the equal rights to the man and computer.

(PS. I shall be grateful, if you will correct grammatic mistakes in this text, then it could be used in section FAQ)
DvD
Sniper
Sniper

Postby DvD » 2008-07-29, 23:28

That was my question exactly. You say it is not possible to add more units to the Blue team; my point was that some custom maps have different start units. For example, in Beaten Eggs Red team starts with 12 units, while Blue team starts with 13. How is it possible?

Now about your Blue team balancing faq:

1) Place empty tanks and guns near Blue's starting units.
2) Allocate more starting territories to the Blue team.
3) Blue should be able to capture territories close to his fort faster than Red: to achieve that, put such flags close to roads/bridges. On the opposite, territories closer to Red's fort should be harder to conquer.
BallWin
Major
Major

Postby BallWin » 2008-07-30, 20:39

DvD wrote:That was my question exactly. You say it is not possible to add more units to the Blue team; my point was that some custom maps have different start units. For example, in Beaten Eggs Red team starts with 12 units, while Blue team starts with 13. How is it possible?
No, no! The Blue team in "Beaten Eggs" has only 12 starts groups!
However initial number immediately changes. For this purpose the gamedesign uses some deceit:
Pyros use an opportunity and take away the neutral Howitzer. It occurs very quickly. You simply have no time to notice change of initial quantity of starting units at the Blue team.
And it proceeds further:
For half an minute the quantity of Blue Team becomes 18 (from 12).
DvD wrote:Now about your Blue team balancing faq:

1) Place empty tanks and guns near Blue's starting units.
2) Allocate more starting territories to the Blue team.
3) Blue should be able to capture territories close to his fort faster than Red: to achieve that, put such flags close to roads/bridges. On the opposite, territories closer to Red's fort should be harder to conquer.
Hearty thanks.
DvD
Sniper
Sniper

Postby DvD » 2008-08-06, 19:09

Makes sense then!
Exlua
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Exlua » 2008-09-07, 23:10

This Editor dont works.... Can i get a Step by Step Manual ?

I build a Map with the Z Editor with Start Units ? My other Problem is i dont see my Multiplayer map in the Multiplayer. Whats wrong ?
BallWin
Major
Major

Postby BallWin » 2008-09-09, 16:31

Exlua wrote:This Editor dont works.... Can i get a Step by Step Manual ?
I build a Map with the Z Editor with Start Units ?
This is not editor.
This is Utility for creation of maps of the single player. See FAQ.
Exlua wrote:My other Problem is i dont see my Multiplayer map in the Multiplayer. Whats wrong ?
Replace original Multiplayer maps with your maps. See the list here.
Exlua
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Exlua » 2008-09-09, 22:34

Ok the Problem with Multiplayer Maps is solved :)

I replace a other Singleplayer Map, but i see short the Level/Map screen. After that i have a black screen and i can hear the Windows "bling" sound. I press enter and see the Menu Screen.

Ok i build my map without start units/Tower Guns. You can see it in the first picture... I have the coordinates for my units. First the Towers Gun in the Z Tool list than the Units. You can see it in the second picture...

Maybe a problem with the target for the blue units ??
Attachments
z-editor.jpg
z-editor.jpg (142.82 KiB) Viewed 9069 times
z-tool.jpg
z-tool.jpg (72.19 KiB) Viewed 9071 times