Post here about the Z remake "Zed Online" by DaMarkov

Moderator: Brad

SteelGhost
Corporal
Corporal
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: ZED Online - a fork of the Zod Engine

Post by SteelGhost » 2019-05-06, 22:36

A bit a of a preview on how the action works in ZCraft. Here's a video showing some fights between robots and comparing their stats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swv6zONy6dE

....1:09 World's luckiest Sniper... and epic fail how 3 Lasers couldn't kill 1 Pyro.

Some notable limitations of this engine:
  • Damage and radius of explosions can't be changed, so all attacks deal projectile damage
  • Invincibility frames (entity can be damaged only every 0.5 second) make rapid fire attacks less effective
  • Unit health varies from 1 to 100. Since all units use projectile-type attacks, damage/armour modifiers can't be used. Robots have only 3/4 of their original health, so they take less time to kill with small arms. In turn, they can't take as many hits from explosives, but it somehwat compensates for their smaller area of effect
  • Projectiles are unaffected by gravity, since it messes too much with their trajectory. This makes Toughs and Pyros a lot more effective (since their shots can't fly over the enemy)
I also made a custom sound pack for this, aiming to replace the old sounds with higher quality ones.
Last edited by SteelGhost on 2019-05-21, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Image Z Wiki - Contribute now!
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-05-11, 04:00

SteelGhost wrote:
2019-05-06, 22:36
A bit a of a preview on how the action works in ZCraft. Here's a video showing some fights between robots and comparing their stats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swv6zONy6dE
Looks like a cool project! How about a separate thread for ZCraft?

Zed Online v0.1.6 will be released this Saturday (around evening time for central EU) via the updater, on SourceForge about 1 hour later.
Full changelog as always here: https://sourceforge.net/p/zedonline/wiki/changelog/

As promised mostly bug fixes.
- I fixed a bunch of bugs on a few maps. Most noticeably level 3, 7, 22.
- Completely new video player. IMPORTANT: audio & video files are split now, so you need to run the 0.1.6 updater to get the audio files for specific languages.
- Fixed the "laggy animation bug" + missing animation bug + performance improvements
- Better integration with online highscore (btw. congratz on Ali on being no. 1 right now!)
- Finished the medium tank sprites for all planets
- in LAN and Online matches. Completely new game lobby. You can now double leftclick to switch teams.
There are also slots for spectators, so you can watch for 4 AI battle against each other.
- Multiple rallypoints per factory can now be set. (Thanks to APC for telling me, I completely missed that)

If I don't find or get a message about major bugs I would like to work on new features an start developing on the v0.2 branch.
For that I would plan about 4 weeks for some experiments.

If there are still too many bugs I might release another version (v0.1.7) just for bugfixes in two weeks.
However, this is the first version that seemed quite stable during testing, so I would be surprised about major issues.

Enjoy the weekend and happy playing!
SteelGhost
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SteelGhost » 2019-05-13, 21:33

Suggestion. What if we added an option to use the sound effects from the PlayStation version, since they are better quality than the PC ones?

On PS1, robot voices are more clear with no static noise, and most of the unit firing sounds were remixed to sound more powerful.

I have extracted most of the sounds, and could compile them.
Image Z Wiki - Contribute now!
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-05-14, 12:00

SteelGhost wrote:
2019-05-13, 21:33
Suggestion. What if we added an option to use the sound effects from the PlayStation version, since they are better quality than the PC ones?

On PS1, robot voices are more clear with no static noise, and most of the unit firing sounds were remixed to sound more powerful.

I have extracted most of the sounds, and could compile them.
Nice!! Mind uploading them somewhere?