Special versions of Z DOS

Since Z95 is not on sale anymore here is the place to trade, sell or let others know if you find a spot where you can get your hands on it.

Moderator: Brad

DaMarkov
Captain
Captain
Are you a spam bot?: No

Special versions of Z DOS

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-02-21, 17:41

Hi,

I remember there was a version of Z DOS which was I think a preview build with slightly different maps. I think two maps in the arctic world where swapped and the starting units where a bit different and some grenade boxes where added/removed.
Does anyone still have that version??

Also I have read that there were alternative rude English sound files (i.e. with some swearing). I would also be interested in that, if someone has the files.

I would love to convert the maps into the Zod engine map file format.
SteelGhost
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Special versions of Z DOS

Post by SteelGhost » 2019-02-21, 23:07

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-02-21, 17:41
I remember there was a version of Z DOS which was I think a preview build with slightly different maps. I think two maps in the arctic world where swapped and the starting units where a bit different and some grenade boxes where added/removed.
There is an edition of the game with a different cover logo. I wonder if the game is any different from the 'normal' version with the black Z?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX215_.jpg
DaMarkov wrote:
Also I have read that there were alternative rude English sound files (i.e. with some swearing). I would also be interested in that, if someone has the files.
These cut voice lines were in The Director's Cut demo. I happen to own said demo, and could extract the sound files for you.
Image Z Wiki - Contribute now!
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-02-22, 19:43

SteelGhost wrote:
2019-02-21, 23:07
DaMarkov wrote:
These cut voice lines were in The Director's Cut demo. I happen to own said demo, and could extract the sound files for you.
That would be fantastic! Thanks a lot!
SteelGhost wrote:
DaMarkov wrote:
There is an edition of the game with a different cover logo. I wonder if the game is any different from the 'normal' version with the black Z?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX215_.jpg
The version I would like to have is the version that Kanasom W played on his/he YouTube channel.
Here is an image of level 15. On the left is the Z DOS version on the right hand side is a screenshot from the version that Kanasom W played.

Also note that in that version level 10 "the wall" and level 9 "Slippery Jim" are swapped.

I remember playing that version, maybe 5 years ago. Someone called it an early press release version.
I someone still has this version around, please share!
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-02-27, 00:16

SteelGhost wrote:
DaMarkov wrote:
Could you upload these files somewhere for me?
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-04-22, 21:31

I got the sound files from SteelGhost. I will include them in the next release of Zed Online, so that everyone can have access to these files.

I have reason to believe that on this black limited edition director's cut CD the single player levels where slightly different then on the original release.
Could anyone send me those files? Or does anyone know where I could get a copy of the director's cut CD?

On a slightly different note: I would like to other a re-encode of the cinemas. In the forum someone posted a re-encode in MPEG4.
I would like to encode the files again in h264. I have English and German original JV cutscene files. Does anyone have the JV files of the French, Spanish or Italian version?
SteelGhost
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SteelGhost » 2019-04-23, 23:01

Level 18 and 19 are also swapped in the special edition

Something I've been wondering and have found little information on online, was Z95 ever sold boxed or in physical form, as all the copies of Z I have seen on sale are the DOS version?
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-04-24, 00:25

SteelGhost wrote:
2019-04-23, 23:01
Level 18 and 19 are also swapped in the special edition

Something I've been wondering and have found little information on online, was Z95 ever sold boxed or in physical form, as all the copies of Z I have seen on sale are the DOS version?
That explains why they are mixed up in some YouTube videos! Do you have the director's cut version?
If yes, could you upload the 40 level folders in one zip file? Otherwise I guess I would have to buy that version.

Also, did anyone analyse the gsprites.rsc file? I compared the file between the Demo version and the retail version to look for differences. And to find the firetruck/cargo truck, but couldn't find anything.

If you have enough upload bandwidth I would also love to take a look at that file.
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-05-12, 15:02

OK, I finally got my hands on a relase that has these different levels. I will from now on call it the "Beta version".
I am going to convert them in .zmap format and will eventually release them for ZED Online as part of a third bonus campaign (after the Z DOS and Z95 levels).

The levels are quite close to the Z DOS original levels so I think it would be better to _not_ have an online highscore for these levels.

The multiplayer maps also have some difference. The main difference seems to be that a bunch of rocks got removed from Z Beta to Z DOS which opens the maps more up for robots.
I think it's not really worth it to convert and release the multiplayer maps.

If I have time I might also do a level by level analyzes for each level since some difference are really tiny and hard to notice without an editor. Like in level 4 the small island got shifted by 16 pixels.
SteelGhost
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SteelGhost » 2019-05-13, 18:38

DaMarkov wrote:
2019-05-12, 15:02
OK, I finally got my hands on a relase that has these different levels. I will from now on call it the "Beta version".
I am going to convert them in .zmap format and will eventually release them for ZED Online as part of a third bonus campaign (after the Z DOS and Z95 levels).
Where did you find this version? Was it a CD or download?
DaMarkov
Captain
Captain

Post by DaMarkov » 2019-05-13, 18:44

SteelGhost wrote:
2019-05-13, 18:38
DaMarkov wrote:
2019-05-12, 15:02
Where did you find this version? Was it a CD or download?
It's a download. Released by the Packager Galaxy. Archive included a trainer.
Filename is zed.rar
MD5 hash is E3579C80AF5AE7DF9372B1D18C4DEFFC